Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 PM

35,789 posts, read 21,176,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I worked at a retail store for quite a few years, and was in management, so I did hire employees. Often, they were "welfare to work" applicants needing to meet their work requirement in order to continue to receive food stamps, etc. I learned after a while to avoid those applicants. Once hired, they rarely showed up for work. The reason? The Department of Social Serviced never checked to see if they were actually working the job, the workers only had to show that they were on the "payroll". If the case workers had called, I would have told them they were not showing up for work, and were calling out "sick" and doing very little in the way of work when they did bother to show up. But they never bother to check.

I had one girl who did show up for work and did assigned duties, that is until she was approved for a subsidized apartment. Once approved, all work ethic stopped, and she called out sick repeatedly until we let her go, and then applied for unemployment benefits (which I'm sure she received.)

These people are scam artists and know how to work the system. It's disgraceful.
Not all people are like that, maybe in your neck of the woods ? I know people who work hard but need help. It has been proven only about 4% are receiving and abusing one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,030,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Paying for the bus is a lot less expensive than maintaining a car.
yes so true

Old 03-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

These people are scam artists and know how to work the system. It's disgraceful.
I had a close friend in high school. She and I got a job at McDonalds together her Junior year.
I was shocked to learn her entire family had been on welfare, and even had the gall to discourage
her from working. She had 3 babies, two different fathers and eventually succumed to her upbringing
Cycles are hard to break.

Even though I explained to her, she is different. She ALREADY has funds for a car, has good grades.
Go onto College for free on Student loans. Become a Phlibotomist (her goal). Instead she got pregnant
by an alcoholic. It's so easy to do what you are comfortable with and know so well, so scary to do something new for whatever reason. She is pushing 50 now and finally started holding a job about 5 years ago. Works full time and plans to until she is 70 yrs old.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:12 PM

477 posts, read 277,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Instead she got pregnant
by an alcoholic. It's so easy to do what you are comfortable with and know so well, so scary to do something new for whatever reason. She is pushing 50 now and finally started holding a job about 5 years ago. Works full time and plans to until she is 70 yrs old.
She should do public service announcements and have them aired over the intercom in every high school in the USA for those teenage girls who think "they're different."

Old 03-05-2017, 07:15 PM

21 posts, read 8,176 times
Cut the cozy welfare benefits and create an environment for economic growth and jobs.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
She should do public service announcements and have them aired over the intercom in every high school in the USA for those teenage girls who think "they're different."
Kinda like the 70's Indian who cried about the white people littering in the streams and rivers??

Just kidding bad joke

Old 03-05-2017, 07:57 PM

18,745 posts, read 7,657,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So Maine's politicians are expecting these people to just sit in their homes and die? Interesting strategy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Do you REALLY think those people are so determined and dead set on doing absolutely nothing to contribute to society they will choose death by starvation?

Seriously?
It was a "strategy" invented out of whole cloth by one EddieB.Good. He was trying to fool people into thinking Republicans enacted it instead.

Look in the dictionary under "Fake News", and you'll find a coy of Eddie's post.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,736,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
They aren't going to die. They were scamming the system.

Link to your false accusation?

Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,736,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Speaking as a liberal, I agree with Maine. I have seen first hand how dependent people are of the system once they get used to it. People will purposefully cut their hours at work to remain qualified for social services. There was a woman I knew that finally got her associates. After years of minimum wage jobs, she finally landed a job with a significant higher hourly wage than before. I think she got $15/hour. She celebrated at first. Then a month later she walked out of that job and got another minimum wage job. She told us she was going to lose her benefits.

There was also another woman who insisted on working part time to keep her benefits.

Unlike right wingers who feel contempt for these people, I feel sorry for them. Nothing scares me more than not being able to carry my own weight. Think of all the dignity and self worth a person must lose to become dependent on the system.

Pretty sure this is your opinion and not fact.

Most States (not sure on Maine) use this chart for their welfare scale,if it changes the number of people receiving benefits change.

Federal Poverty Line Doesn't Adequately Reflect Cost Of Living In America, Analysis Finds | The Huffington Post

Old 03-05-2017, 08:25 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,134,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Pretty sure this is your opinion and not fact.

Most States (not sure on Maine) use this chart for their welfare scale,if it changes the number of people receiving benefits change.

Federal Poverty Line Doesn't Adequately Reflect Cost Of Living In America, Analysis Finds | The Huffington Post
Which part of my opinion don't you agree with? Let's talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies