Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

This is just idiotic. I had heard about the firing in passing, but had not heard the details.

ESPN sued for wrongful termination by announcer after Venus Williams match call

A veteran ESPN announcer sued the sports network Monday for firing him during the Australian Open over accusations that he had used an ethnic slur against tennis superstar Venus Williams.

Doug Adler, who began working for ESPN in 2008 covering the world’s biggest tennis matches, came under fire for a comment on Jan. 18 when he said Williams used “the guerrilla effect.” The comment went viral because it was pushed along by the New York Times on twitter labeling it as the “appalling” term “gorilla,” which “ignited the flames of anger and hatred” against Adler, the lawsuit said.

Adler was fired two days later.
This is unbelievable in that ESPN would not defend an employee who properly used the English language... and took the side of the uneducated rabble on social media.

He even "was told to apologize on air and he complied."

He was fired based on uneducated accusations. He apologized on air and was still fired. ...smh...

ESPN deserves to lose subscribers... totally ridiculous bunch of cowards. Hopefully he sued for a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 AM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is just idiotic. I had heard about the firing in passing, but had not heard the details.

ESPN sued for wrongful termination by announcer after Venus Williams match call
A veteran ESPN announcer sued the sports network Monday for firing him during the Australian Open over accusations that he had used an ethnic slur against tennis superstar Venus Williams.

Doug Adler, who began working for ESPN in 2008 covering the world’s biggest tennis matches, came under fire for a comment on Jan. 18 when he said Williams used “the guerrilla effect.” The comment went viral because it was pushed along by the New York Times on twitter labeling it as the “appalling” term “gorilla,” which “ignited the flames of anger and hatred” against Adler, the lawsuit said.

Adler was fired two days later.
This is unbelievable in that ESPN would not defend an employee who properly used the English language... and took the side of the uneducated rabble on social media.

He even "was told to apologize on air and he complied."

He was fired based on uneducated accusations. He apologized on air and was still fired. ...smh...

ESPN deserves to lose subscribers... totally ridiculous bunch of cowards. Hopefully he sued for a ton of money.
Bringing this thread up to date. Have been listening to the radio this morning and this subject was just discussed. Adler has announced he is suing ESPN for wrongful termination. I was out having breakfast, got back, and only caught the last ten seconds of the interview with Matt Lauer of the Today Show.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:59 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
With any luck ABC will sell off ESPN and it will go back to being a sports network, instead of a social experiment for athletes.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:03 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Like the guy in DC government who was fired a number of years ago for using the word "*****rdly" when describing the funding level for his department.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
good.. you can't say a woman has a gorrila effect on TV. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Old 08-25-2017, 08:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
I'm in favor of any ESPN announcer being fired, for any reason whatsoever

Old 08-25-2017, 08:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
I'd hate to work in a hardware store and have her wanting a glue recommendation.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Like the guy in DC government who was fired a number of years ago for using the word "*****rdly" when describing the funding level for his department.
I remember that one.

I heard, years ago, of a person who was fired for advocating improved pedagogic methods.

Unfortunately, there is little difference in pronunciation between gorilla and guerrilla. I wonder how this guy can prove he said guerrilla. But I do think he should get the benefit of the doubt, given that guerrilla tennis is a thing and assuming he was not previously known for being racially disparaging.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:27 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
good.. you can't say a woman has a gorrila effect on TV. What the hell is wrong with you people?

So you don't understand the difference between "guerrilla" and "gorilla", and think the announcer that makes his living covering tennis was actually calling a black woman who happens to be possibly the top tennis player in the world a gorilla on TV?

Wow.

Another indictment of the poor quality of the US education system.

Also an indictment of the integrity of Venus Williams and her dad for not coming to the guys defense and letting him get fired over such stupidity.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:27 AM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I remember that one.

I heard, years ago, of a person who was fired for advocating improved pedagogic methods.......
But wasn't that more because he was also a noted philatelist?

Oh, for those who don't know about the DC example, the word which was censored was n i g g a r d ly, meaning cheap or stingy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies