Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,190,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is it just me or do we have a problem with some of today's older generation taking responsibility for themselves. I'm 48 and I remember back in the day a kid was a kid and was not expected to act like an adult. Now we have adults behaving badly trying to blame children.
The whole country is getting worse with respect to an increase in people with mental issues that prevent them from behaving properly.

More people have anger issues, short tempers, go straight to violence, more yelling etc....

Way more people on edge today who don't have the best control of their emotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,026,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What would you call a 12 year old?

One like this.... and some others in society? A psychotic danger to everyone around them. Certainly not a "child"

Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,501,407 times
It's home to Disneyland the happiest place on earth .

Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,225,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am not defending trespassing. The guy holding a kid by the collar and dragging him around is assault. THIS IS A KID! He wasn't ranting at the cop, the kid kept asking 'let me go' over and over again.

I lived in a neighborhood where high school teens would walk down the street yelling. It was a public street, irritating. Then once a fight broke out, came on my property. I and led it by telling them to stop, get off my lawn, I am calling the cops. They scattered and I never had the problem again.

I understand being fed up, especially by teens who are not respectful. This cop went so far over the line.
As much as I hate the police, I think the kids were in the wrong. Plus, I despise this idea that minors can basically do whatever they want, just because they are minors. The guy who hit the cop, was taller than him. They weren't toddlers.

It is quite obvious that these kids weren't taught manners. At any time the situation could have been diffused had they simply behaved respectfully. Based on the other neighbors, there was a major problem with kids destroying people's property, ruining their landscaping, and then graffiti on fences/houses.

And then after the incident, "protesters" vandalized the cop's house, and a couple neighbor's houses as well.

I'm not saying I agree with everything the cop did. And if he gets fired, I don't exactly have much sympathy for him. But I definitely have ZERO sympathy for these terrible kids, and neither should you.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,402,773 times
This guy was commuting from Anaheim to L.A. everyday?

We're lucky he didn't snap sooner.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,825,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Oh my...poor dude landowner who had his property violated? Oh my how terrible..

In the outskirts of Louisville KY where I grew up anyone who laid a hand on a kid crossing his lawn would be arrested or beaten to a pulp by parents and friends. You might complain about children but you did not touch them. Or else.

And unless the area was fenced or signed specifically the cop has no basis for his actions...and even if well signed he is still in trouble unless the kid refused to leave. His options were to call the police or put up a fence. The law on trespass does not cover incidental passage unless it violates a fence or signage or the trespassers refuses to leave.

I couldn't have said this better.

The problem we face in this scenario is we have two separate and distinct CLASSES of people... ordinary humans and the law enforcement class. Due to law enforcement officers intentionally and willfully operating on a basis that the two separate classes have different rules and societal requirements, the Thin Blue Line ALWAYS wins out. In real life practice almost everyone in law enforcement grants rights and privileges to others in law enforcement not held by those who are not in law enforcement. There may be a SELECT FEW LEOs who do not operate on this basis but they are a rarity.

The officer who assaulted the kid then criminally and negligently discharged his firearm after repeated and continuous assault and as far as I am concerned kidnapping the 13 year old should have been immediately arrested regardless of whether or not he was a cop. You can bet your tail he would have been arrested had that man not been a cop.

Typically criminal trespass involves the refusal of leaving. No one was refusing to leave. As a matter of fact, it was quite obvious the 13 year old kid was attempting to do just that, leave. Regardless, a trespass is a citation offense, not generally an arrestable one, especially before a lawful criminal trespass order is issued. Assault however IS an arrestable offense and without any doubt the unlawful display and unlawful discharge of a firearm is unquestionably an arrestable offense.

The officer in question should be charged with multiple felonies, have his law enforcement credentials permanently stripped and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law with ZERO preference given for his LEO credentials or background.

Either the law is the law or we live in tyranny where one class of people (in government) are not held to the same laws as others in society. To ANY on here who blindly defend this officers unlawful and illegal actions simply because he was a cop, YOU are the problem.

But then again... that's just MY opinion.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,958,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
in a different state, I had a corner lot..and constantly people would cut across...just because they were lazy, and had no respect for other peoples property...even had some dude DRIVE across the lawn.... asked nicely many times...the answer from the 'punks'... "F off"

solution was put up a fence...spend money.... only to have a drunk driver plow the fence down

the fact is many people have NO RESPECT for others, or their property.... and especially in the recent recession home break-ins increased dramatically... again no respect for others or their property

maybe the parents of the punks should set the example and teach them respect of others....
The thing is in many sub-divisions one can't put up a fence or it is so short it is not worth the trouble. I think this guy had enough.

Reminds me of this line...........
Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have ****ed with? That's me.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,225,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
The officer who assaulted the kid then criminally and negligently discharged his firearm after repeated and continuous assault and as far as I am concerned kidnapping the 13 year old should have been immediately arrested regardless of whether or not he was a cop. You can bet your tail he would have been arrested had that man not been a cop.
Well, it is lawful to detain someone who has committed a crime. If a 13-year old steals a woman's purse, you can detain him, and it isn't kidnapping.

Though I'm not sure if the kid, up to that point, had actually committed a crime.

I don't know if he would have been arrested had he not been a cop. But I would agree that he, as a cop, is largely given the "benefit of the doubt" in the absence of evidence.

There is no video evidence of the beginning of the altercation, while there is video evidence of the later assault against the cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
without any doubt the unlawful display and unlawful discharge of a firearm is unquestionably an arrestable offense.
He had just been punched, and then pushed, and was being surrounded by about five guys. At that point, it wasn't an unlawful display of a firearm. It was self-defense.

Honestly, these kids need a good butt-whoopin. I would bet almost none of these kids have a father around. I saw interviews with the kid's mom, and grandmother. But where is daddy?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:43 PM

469 posts, read 399,305 times
How anyone can believe this cop was in the right after watching the video is beyond me.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Oh my...poor dude landowner who had his property violated? Oh my how terrible..

In the outskirts of Louisville KY where I grew up anyone who laid a hand on a kid crossing his lawn would be arrested or beaten to a pulp by parents and friends. You might complain about children but you did not touch them. Or else.

And unless the area was fenced or signed specifically the cop has no basis for his actions...and even if well signed he is still in trouble unless the kid refused to leave. His options were to call the police or put up a fence. The law on trespass does not cover incidental passage unless it violates a fence or signage or the trespassers refuses to leave.
Yea, but I also grew up around there, and if a kid did not listen to an adult or did something like cross a person's property without permission and gave even verbal hassle to the owner, then he would get a heavy hand by one of their parents. At that, kids were generally a bit fearful of adults, not so much scared of an adult stranger, but what would happen to them from their parents when their parents found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies