Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
...and what beautiful and well thought out quotes those brilliant founding fathers had!

It really is a shame the scum of the earth look at what I and others have earned through our own labor and industry, then enviously make sophistic attempts to excuse their THEFT as they demand other people's wealth be redistributed.

Yes, I called them the scum of the earth... just like blood sucking leaches, clinging to and drawing every ounce of blood they can, just short of killing their hosts... all to survive off the labor and effort of their hosts.

GOD bless America!

The only laws I live by, are the very laws governments of all forms break constantly and consistently.
Thou shall not threaten others harm
Thou shall not physically harm others, unless threatened with physical harm or being actually harmed.
Thou shall not murder. (Which does not mean thou shall not kill. There is a time and a place for killing, see"unless" above)
Thou shall not steal
Thou shall not cheat.

Bondage to those more powerful than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:29 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
pro·mote
prəˈmōt/
verb

verb: promote; 3rd person present: promotes; past tense: promoted; past participle: promoted; gerund or present participle: promoting
  1. 1.
    further the progress of (something, especially a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.
    "some regulation is still required to promote competition"
    synonyms:encourage, advocate, further, advance, assist, aid, help, contribute to, foster, nurture, develop, boost, stimulate, forward, work for "an organization promoting justice"
advance or raise (someone) to a higher position or rank.

"she was promoted to general manager"

synonyms:upgrade, give promotion to, elevate, advance, move up; Morehumorouskick upstairs;

archaicprefer

"she's been promoted at work"
Lets use a dictionary form the time shall we?

Quote:
To Promote

1. To forward; to advance.
Next to religion, let your care be to promote justice.

2. Promoting

To elevate, to exalt, to prefer.
I will promote thee unto the very great honour.

A Dictionary of the English Language -- A Digital Edition of the 1755 Classic by Samuel Johnson

Go ahead, read the rest of the uses. I think you will find that your modern use of the word is not the old use of the word.

This is the problem. Use the language of the time, or don't bother.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I see trump has gotten in to your head.
Your obsession with Trump, has nothing to do with words in the Constitution, being redefined.
Did you give up?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's like three of us gang up to vote 3 to 1 on how to divvy up your properties. Do you know who does that? The communists. Eventually everybody's property gets divided and redistributed so that everybody is equal, equally poor.

Just because it's a "law," it doesn't make it right or not evil. Slavery had been a law for a long time.
I agree, laws are not always right or moral. That's what civil disobedience is for. Break the law, do it openly to draw attention to the injustice of the law, and pay the penalty. If the majority of Americans agree with you that the law is unjust, the law will be overturned. If they don't, if the majority of Americans think the law is necessary and promotes the general welfare, well then your opinion didn't carry the day. Sorry.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The meaning doesn't have to be changed.

You are the one performing mental gymnastics.

Promote and provide are not exclusive of each other. They often go hand in hand.

I'm not the people trying to make, Promote mean Provide and in the same light, People mean Citizens.
As seen here, that takes mental gymnastics to argue that.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
...and they will continue to LIE through their collective teeth as they demand to continue feeding off the trough their dishonesty has provided them.
Yep, heck... Madison warned of this very problem in the federalist no 10, how people would politicians and the people would use such to gain votes and achieve self interested favors which would end up resulting in the oppression of the minority.

These people can not win an argument if the original intent is used. If you use the dictionaries of the time, the words of the founders (ratification debates, letters, federalist and anti-federalist papers, etc...) to establish intent, only an liar or an idiot would claim confusion. why do you think they established "case precedence" law? So they don't have to refer to the the founders anymore, they can use manufactured intent through the manipulation of political court decisions.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 AM

I like this.

To Promote

1. To forward; to advance.
Next to religion, let your care be to promote justice.

And to promote justice, you have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be PROVIDED to you.

Oh, darn it! How are you ever going to prove that providing something does not promote something??????

Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
How you feel about yourself ,that's all up to you .You want others to be upset about something that does not bother them but only you.

Putting a gun to my head to force me to pay for your compassion.....
Satan, is that you?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm not the people trying to make, Promote mean Provide and in the same light, People mean Citizens.
As seen here, that takes mental gymnastics to argue that.
No one is trying to make "promote" mean "provide". BUT you are the one arguing that "promote" and "provide" are somehow exclusive of each other, and that "providing" something cannot be "promoting". Despite the plethora of examples that demonstrate otherwise.

"To promote" and "to provide" often go hand in hand. So sorry, your argument does not hold up.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
I sense their desperation. It's almost as if they've never encountered logic, honesty and true history thrown in their collective faces as they squirm while squealing,
Quote:
"...but it's not FAIR!!! I WANT it so you should have to promote... err, PROVIDE me with it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies