Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 09:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
No... what's funny, or actually NOT funny but rather PATHETIC, is how you completely DISMISS the dictionary definition of the word "promote" from the time the word was written in the US Constitution. This is yet ANOTHER example of how the left intentionally bastardizes the English language to further their demands of collective THEFT.
I don't dismiss the definition of the word "promote".

I simply point out that "to promote" something can be a very broad activity, and often includes "providing" something.

You're the one bastardizing English by denying the TRUTH of my statements. Your perpetual whine about how you've been abused is getting boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I disagree here.

In fact they do own those very things, because they have the power to take it away from you at will.
There is no such thing any longer considered private property. The closest thing to private property is, the property the government does not let the public own themselves(government property) We the people have been lowered down to only having access to real estate. Not private property.

Same with a business. I do not own my business, I manage it for the various governments that control it and can take it away at will.
Well, that is kind of what I meant though. The government does not "own" the property in a legal sense (they will claim otherwise and give a bunch of BS how you own it, but they are just assessing a basic tax, similar to the argument of the ACA and similar issues), but as you pointed out, in reality, they really do.

I would argue that not only does the government own the property in reality, but they own the people as well.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't dismiss the definition of the word "promote".

I simply point out that "to promote" something can be a very broad activity, and often includes "providing" something.

You're the one bastardizing English by denying the TRUTH of my statements. Your perpetual whine about how you've been abused is getting boring.
Which is clearly defined when it is needed (aka the Fifth). So... understanding this, the use of "promote" to "provide" welfare for the people is a violation as it is not authorized anywhere in the constitution and only through word smithing and devious manipulation can such be claimed. That is kind of the point of this entire thread.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM

You guys do realize that this is a no-win issue? That is, even if you push them into a corner at every turn, in the end they will simply call the founding fathers a bunch of old has beens who could never understand the way things are today and so the ignoring of the original intent is justified because people today are so much smarter and more civilized than those stupid backward racist slave owners.

From the moment the debate begins, they already have a "I win" card to dismiss the entire discussion.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
YOUR willingness to bastardize the English language.

THEFT, by the way, is a criminal act. Laws define what is criminal and what is not. And taxation is enforced by LAW.

That does not make it right and the reason in the beginning the federal government was never to tax the people directly, as the British did and used as punishment to get the people to do what the King demanded.
The 16th amendment place every single individual into bondage to the government, with special people not held accountable to the same standard. Paying nothing and receiving no punishment.

If anyone can place a gun to my head, or a boot on my throat, to force me to consent, with the consequences I lose my freedom or die, if I still refuse to consent. I am not free and in no way have liberty.

What liberty do you have, with a gun to your head? You have what ever liberty they tell you you have.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
That's a very limited definition of "promoting". Do you think fight promoters for boxers limit their "promoting" to "encouragement and advisement"? "Encouragement and advisement" can be part of promoting. Providing a venue, providing advertisement, providing referees and other officials, can all also be part of "promoting". Wouldn't you say?

They certainly didn't give anything to the people, by promoting those things. Someone had the ability to choose for themselves and say, no thanks.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Which is clearly defined when it is needed (aka the Fifth). So... understanding this, the use of "promote" to "provide" welfare for the people is a violation as it is not authorized anywhere in the constitution and only through word smithing and devious manipulation can such be claimed. That is kind of the point of this entire thread.

Yea... but that dude (or dudette or Ms Dude or Mr Dudette or dude that identifies as a dudette or...) KNOWS stuff that we can't possibly comprehend because he/she/they/it is so much smarter than us. Heck, even the following quotes of the founding fathers mean NOTHING because, well because those old geezers couldn't possibly have meant those words to enslave a government to such a finite power, even IF they allowed that document to be amended.

I LOVE the double jointed and limber verbal gymnastics they must constantly use to justify their THEFT.

James Madison (known as the Father of the Constitution because he wrote most of it) said, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

“A wise and frugal government… shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” — Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

“A people… who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.” – George Washington

“Government is instituted to protect property of every sort; as well that which lies in the various rights of individuals, as that which the term particularly expresses. This being the end of government, that alone is a just government which impartially secures to every man whatever is his own.” – James Madison, Essay on Property, 1792

“Banks have done more injury to the religion, morality, tranquility, prosperity, and even wealth of the nation than they can have done or ever will do good.” – John Adams

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.” — Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

“The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If ‘Thou shalt not covet’ and ‘Thou shalt not steal’ were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before it can be civilized or made free.” — John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America, 1787

“I place economy among the first and most important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. If we run into such debts, we must be taxed in our meat and drink, in our necessities and in our comforts, in our labor and in our amusements.” – Thomas Jefferson

“Beware the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry.” – Thomas Paine

“If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy.” – Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, November 29, 1802

“All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise not from defects in the Constitution or Confederation, not from a want of honor or virtue so much as from downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation.” – John Adams, at the Constitutional Convention (1787)

“The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.” – Thomas Jefferson

“Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.” – John Adams, 1765

“If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash.” – George Washington

“I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution. I would be willing to depend on that alone for the reduction of the administration of our government to the genuine principles of its Constitution; I mean an additional article, taking from the federal government the power of borrowing.” – Thomas Jefferson

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Lets use a dictionary form the time shall we?

A Dictionary of the English Language -- A Digital Edition of the 1755 Classic by Samuel Johnson

Go ahead, read the rest of the uses. I think you will find that your modern use of the word is not the old use of the word.

This is the problem. Use the language of the time, or don't bother.

They are going to hate Justice Goursich.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Yea... but that dude (or dudette or Ms Dude or Mr Dudette or dude that identifies as a dudette or...) KNOWS stuff that we can't possibly comprehend because he/she/they/it is so much smarter than us. Heck, even the following quotes of the founding fathers mean NOTHING because, well because those old geezers couldn't possibly have meant those words to enslave a government to such a finite power, even IF they allowed that document to be amended.

I LOVE the double jointed and limber verbal gymnastics they must constantly use to justify their THEFT.

James Madison (known as the Father of the Constitution because he wrote most of it) said, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

“A wise and frugal government… shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” — Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

“A people… who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.” – George Washington

“Government is instituted to protect property of every sort; as well that which lies in the various rights of individuals, as that which the term particularly expresses. This being the end of government, that alone is a just government which impartially secures to every man whatever is his own.” – James Madison, Essay on Property, 1792

“Banks have done more injury to the religion, morality, tranquility, prosperity, and even wealth of the nation than they can have done or ever will do good.” – John Adams

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.” — Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

“The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If ‘Thou shalt not covet’ and ‘Thou shalt not steal’ were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before it can be civilized or made free.” — John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America, 1787

“I place economy among the first and most important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. If we run into such debts, we must be taxed in our meat and drink, in our necessities and in our comforts, in our labor and in our amusements.” – Thomas Jefferson

“Beware the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry.” – Thomas Paine

“If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy.” – Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, November 29, 1802

“All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise not from defects in the Constitution or Confederation, not from a want of honor or virtue so much as from downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation.” – John Adams, at the Constitutional Convention (1787)

“The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.” – Thomas Jefferson

“Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.” – John Adams, 1765

“If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash.” – George Washington

“I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution. I would be willing to depend on that alone for the reduction of the administration of our government to the genuine principles of its Constitution; I mean an additional article, taking from the federal government the power of borrowing.” – Thomas Jefferson

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin
/Mic Drop

*chuckle*

Old 02-24-2017, 10:09 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
Quote:
You guys do realize that this is a no-win issue? That is, even if you push them into a corner at every turn, in the end they will simply call the founding fathers a bunch of old has beens who could never understand the way things are today and so the ignoring of the original intent is justified because people today are so much smarter and more civilized than those stupid backward racist slave owners.

From the moment the debate begins, they already have a "I win" card to dismiss the entire discussion.

LOL! We BOTH went there... to that place they always end up, the founder's could never understand...

It was bound to come up sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies