Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 AM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times

Advertisements

Good PR is all that matters. Most people do not give a durn about where it comes from or who made it or who owners employ. If the PR is good and the price is right, products sell.

Nobody cares if 3/4 of the stuff they buy at the grocery store is foreign owned. Most don't know and don't care.

Nobody cares if the crap they buy is made by slaves or prisoners, and much is.

Starbucks 5.00 coffee is status for people without much money. The millionaire next door goes to McDonalds or Dunkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Only a liberal would overpay for a cup of coffee that can be gotten at any 7-Eleven or Duncan Donut.
Then why are there alot of conservatives in the Atlanta area who frequent Starbucks? I disagree with "only a liberal would overpay for a cup of coffee". Elitists, however, will gladly overpay. And you can find both conservative and liberal elitists.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
...Starbucks 5.00 coffee is status for people without much money. The millionaire next door goes to McDonalds or Dunkin.

Again:

Starbucks Venti coffee - $2.45 (20 oz)

Dunkin XL coffee - $2.29 (24 oz)

McD's large coffee - $1.49 (21 oz)

McDonald's brewed coffee is decent, but I'd take either Dunkin or Sbux if given the choice.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Meanwhile Black Rifle Coffee company, which said it would hire 10,000 veterans has sold out for 2 weeks.
How long will it take a company with 50ish employees to hire 10,000 or even need 10,000?

PS Starbucks already hired 8,000 or their 10,000 goal for hiring military.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Only a liberal would overpay for a cup of coffee that can be gotten at any 7-Eleven or Duncan Donut.
And only a conservative would equate living in a trailer up on cement blocks equating to being "frugal".

This is fun; keep 'em coming.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:35 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
7-Eleven coffee is garbage. Dunkin Donuts isn't bad, but I prefer Starbucks. For really good coffee, the only option is to find a local roaster, honestly.

Further, an XL coffee from Dunkin is $2.29, a Venti coffee from Starbucks is $2.45. I'm not sure $0.16 qualifies as "overpaying"....

I do not wonder that Starbucks has leveled off or dropped. Part may be due to Trump supporters, and part due to the expense of their coffee, and more people drinking other things.

As for coffee: roast your own. It is easy to obtain green coffee beans online.

Then, get a hot-air popcorn popper (the kind with vents running along the side, not with the grill at the bottom), turn it on to heat up (be outside), and pour in half a cup of beans. You will soon (4-5 minutes) hear a loud popping sound: that is the beans' water expanding (called the 'first crack'). It will then quiet down, and you wait (1 to 2 minutes) for popping to begin again (sort of like walking on small sticks on a brisk winter day; the 'second crack'): that is the oil in the bean expanding (releasing the flavor). The longer the 'second pop' goes on, the darker the coffee will be (if you wait too long, you will have burned beans). I usually stop just 30 seconds or so into the second popping.

Immediately start cooling the beans (I use two cold, metal colanders, bouncing the beans back and forth) to stop the roasting process, and then place into your freezer for a bit. Grind, and enjoy the best coffee around.

This website is where I learned:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/instructions

Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times
I lived in Europe and people really hate the arrival of a starbucks, sort of the first sign of american style gentrification I guess. There is such an amazing cafe culture in Vienna, Italy, France etc with bohemia and cafes and beautiful coffeehouses. Starbucks seems to embody that bland corporate liberalism, crappy albums and a total rip off of italian culture, sort of sums up the sad excuse for the whole corporate liberal culture in america

Old 02-24-2017, 10:39 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
How many Trump supporters get their coffee at Starbuck's?

I haven't seen a lot of Ford pickups in their drive-thru lines.

In my town the local coffee shops are more popular because they have a better product.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:44 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I lived in Europe and people really hate the arrival of a starbucks, sort of the first sign of american style gentrification I guess. There is such an amazing cafe culture in Vienna, Italy, France etc with bohemia and cafes and beautiful coffeehouses. Starbucks seems to embody that bland corporate liberalism, crappy albums and a total rip off of italian culture, sort of sums up the sad excuse for the whole corporate liberal culture in america

I remember a rather early episode of The Simpsons (probably first 5 years), in which they showed Bart at some mall, with every other store being a Starbucks. He went into a tattoo parlor, and coming out, it had changed to a Starbucks and he was sipping coffee. Of course, they were 'kidding', but no one is laughing now (at least, those of us that like good coffee).

Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Really? Like you and the other Trumpsters can afford Starbucks?

Starbucks CEO is not THAT stupid. He knows who he's getting most of his business from...
So, I guess that would mean all the business owners who refuse to pay decent wages that we hear liberals scream about are actually liberals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies