Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,323,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Suggesting that a cop can justify having X gun and the people living there would be denied such a gun is bit absurd, don't you think?

There is areas where I live when you call the cops they might get there 30 minutes later....
No. I do not think so.
That's why I said what I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:39 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,238,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I couldn't believe they got rid of the law keeping documentedly mentally ill people from buying guns. That, to me is the ultimate in common sense gun control laws.
Anyone that has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution is not allowed to purchase a firearm. They will fail the NICS background check as long as the state reported the diagnosis (as they are required to by law). But not all states are in strict compliance with this requirement.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 PM

59,164 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm a gun owner with multiple guns. I like to shoot, I like this culture. It's something very unique in the world.
But, I want that the right to bear arms will be granted only to people who:
1. Pay income taxes.
2. Never had any issue with the law.
3. Only citizens.
4. Passed psychological tests.
5. Over 25 years old.

And those people will be allowed to have automatic, concealed, standard/high capacity in all USA, including CA and Chicago.
All "Gun free" zone should be canceled.
" Over 25 years old."

So, when I was 19 and overseas, I had an M-16, an M-79 grenade launcher and a .45 pistol.

When I got out at 21 and was home, I CAN"T have a gun?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You weren't specific as to hunting, which is mentioned nowhere in the Constitution, by the way.

You know, or should as a firearms expert and gun control advocate, the ones you wish to ban are used, a lot, for hunting, and very rarely in the mass shooting events your ban purports to control.

As a note, I'm not an owner of the ones you wish to ban so some could say I have no dog in the fight. Except, once "the most dangerous type of firearm available" is banned you gun confiscators (and that's what you really are despite your protestations) will anoint another type of gun as "the most dangerous type of firearm available" and advocate for its banning and eventual confiscation.

Every journey begins with a single step.
You continue to bob and weave and assign beliefs and motives, and morph into predictions of the future.

The subject is "do I think gun control laws are ridiculously lax"?
I do.
There is no hope that things will ever change greatly, but I do believe that gun control laws are ridiculously lax.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:48 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You continue to bob and weave and assign beliefs and motives, and morph into predictions of the future.

The subject is "do I think gun control laws are ridiculously lax"?
I do.
There is no hope that things will ever change greatly, but I do believe that gun control laws are ridiculously lax.
How am I bobbing and weaving. You're the one who wanted to ban "most" semiautomatic firearms. Then, when confronted with a couple, claimed not the ones for hunting.

I don't have to assign any beliefs or motives to you. You've made your objectives quite clear. Or don't you remember what you've said?

As far as "lax" goes you really haven't defined that other than to say it and repeat some incorrect talking points.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
Criminals do not respect the law. True.
That's why I would be just as happy if semi-automatic weapons were not sold at all. To anyone. Not available. Government buyback, and if you sell one you already own to anyone but the government you will spend 5 years in federal prison. You get 2 choices - keep it for yourself and your heirs, or sell it to the government. I oppose any attempt at registration.

As far as CCW is concerned, if you own a firearm legally I think you should be able to carry it any place you wish.
I agree with your remarks regarding second amendment rights. States are infringing, and they should not do so.
Hmmmm, outlawing something to keep it out of the hands of bad guys. Novel idea. Have you considered letting your state know about this terrific idea? If they made meth, heroine and cocaine illegal, we won't have a problem with them anymore, right?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Laws are just fine to be and the only problem is criminals not respecting the law.

This whole thing is way over regulated and NY and Ca are actually impeding on peoples right and in violation of the Second Amendment.

It is almost impossible to get a CCW in Ca. and they do not even respect other states laws or permits.
The new NY laws ban ALL semi-automatics, INCLUDING shotguns and pistols that "look evil"

"Assault Weapons in New York

Last updated October 25, 2016.
New York’s assault weapon law prohibits manufacturing, transporting, disposing of or possessing an assault weapon in the state.1
An assault weapon is defined as:
• A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:
o A folding or telescoping stock;
o A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
o A thumbhole stock;
o A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
o A bayonet mount;
o A flash suppressor, muzzle break, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle break, or muzzle compensator;
o A grenade launcher; or
• A semi-automatic shotgun that has at least one of the following characteristics:
o A thumbhole stock;
o A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
o A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
o A fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds;
o An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
• A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:
o A thumbhole stock;
o Capacity to accept an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
o A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
o A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
o A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded;
o A semi-automatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or handgun; or
• A revolving cylinder shotgun;
• A semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or other weapon as defined by New York Penal Law § 265.00(22)(e)(v) as that section read under the laws of 2000 and otherwise lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994; or
• A semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol that qualifies as an assault weapon as defined above and possessed prior to January 15, 2013.2 "

http://smartgunlaws.org/assault-weapons-in-new-york/

Old 02-27-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Well at least you're not a Sandy Hook denier - - that puts you above the worst of your side.
I guess this is some juvenile attempt to insult me.

That puts you BELOW the worst of your side.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hmmmm, outlawing something to keep it out of the hands of bad guys. Novel idea. Have you considered letting your state know about this terrific idea? If they made meth, heroine and cocaine illegal, we won't have a problem with them anymore, right?
Pretty stupid comment.
Go back and read again.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
Pretty stupid comment.
Go back and read again.
Ok, I just did.

Quote:
I would be just as happy if semi-automatic weapons were not sold at all. To anyone. Not available.
My response stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies