Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,284,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I never said it was exactly the same thing. I was just alluding to the idea that, pulling a gun and trying to intimidate people, even a family, doesn't require people to go to prison.

Lets change my story where the guy in the car was black, and the drunk guy had made racial slurs towards him(it happens all the time). Should he have gone to prison?

As I mentioned in my story, it was a family with a young son in the back seat. Had they gotten up in front of court saying that their son was "traumatized", should the guy have gone to prison?

My point was that it was surprising to me that the punishment was so harsh. I do not believe the judge in my city would have handed down something so harsh. That judgement was quite unusual, which is why it is being so heavily criticized in this thread.

The truth is, they did absolutely no physical harm to anyone. Nor did they intend to do any physical harm to anyone. The only physical harm done, was when the party-goers threw rocks at their trucks.

What they did was wrong, and they know it was wrong, and they apologized for it. And the black lady even said she forgave them. So what is the point of 20 years in prison? It makes no sense to me.

What exactly does it accomplish?
You can't know whether or not they intended to do any physical harm.

I looked at the sources you linked and can't see anything about the party-goers throwing rocks - where does it say that happened? The only video I saw was from when the police had arrived, is there another video?

Old 03-03-2017, 11:10 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,962,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino

The only confusion arising here is you guys are calling him brown based on his name. Look at his face and he's definitely not brown, or black, or Indian. Hispanic/Latino is a cultural, not a racial, designation. It is only a coincidence that the vast majority of Latinos, including myself, are mixed race, so, NOT white. I find it very interesting that right-wingers say Jose Torres is not white, but he looks 100% white, unlike George Zimmerman, who does not look white but people say he is. Ignore the name, and the confusion goes away.
Zimmermann: the MSM ID'd that dude as "white"; you need to tell the MSM it's full of crap since it came out later he was if anything, a Black Hispanic, tho still a white supremacist.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:13 AM

29,872 posts, read 14,909,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/nbc4i.com...ate-flags/amp/

I can only imagine what these scumbags were thinking as they terrorized party-goers (mostly kids) with a shotgun:

"Hooray, Trump won! We can totally get away with this stuff now!"

Have fun in prison, Deplorables.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Although , the penalty does seem a bit harsh when rapists and murderers don't even get that in some cases.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 PM

73,177 posts, read 63,013,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And Dylan Roof went after churchgoers. White supremacists only pick on the weak. It's "betas" picking on other "betas". And why is it these white supremacists always look like they're on drugs, are alcoholics, or just plain ugly? It's rare to find a Chris Evans among white supremacists. That's why I think white supremacy is just bs, and it's just a way for below average looking (and economically) whites to feel superior about themselves. It's just extreme compensation for their own failures and lack of attractiveness
Bigoted types always pick those they perceive as weak. Dylann Roof was welcomed into that church with open arms. It was mostly women who he shot. 6 women, 3 men. Only one person was under 40. Roof complained about Blacks being criminals. If he was so concerned about Black male criminals, why didn't he go into North Charleston? He could have just become a judge and punished criminals of all races. No, he went after the weakest. He even admitted he couldn't go into the ghetto and kill. He went into a church and did that.

Everything else is true. Dylann Roof, drug user, dropout, he was literally just full of hate.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:49 PM

31,298 posts, read 20,823,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/nbc4i.com...ate-flags/amp/

I can only imagine what these scumbags were thinking as they terrorized party-goers (mostly kids) with a shotgun:

"Hooray, Trump won! We can totally get away with this stuff now!"

Have fun in prison, Deplorables.
Actually, it happened 18 months ago while Obama was president. So here is what your post should say;

"Hooray, Obama won! We can totally get away with this stuff now!"

Old 03-03-2017, 04:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,253,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
You can't know whether or not they intended to do any physical harm.

I looked at the sources you linked and can't see anything about the party-goers throwing rocks - where does it say that happened? The only video I saw was from when the police had arrived, is there another video?
Stories differ in Douglas County Confederate flag flap

The Morning Brew: Georgia couple that made armed, racist threats at black child's birthday party sentenced | News OK

Pair Who Led Racist Attack on Boy's Party Sentenced to Years in Prison - NBC News

2 in Douglas County Confederate flag case sentenced to years in prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4GjzuM72s

In their version of events, someone threw something at one of the trucks(they claim rocks), he lost control of his truck, went off the road, got a flat, and the convoy pulled over and stopped to change the tire.

They claim a large group of angry party-goers began walking towards the confederate-waving convoy(the convoy was flying confederate-flags, and the party-goers were black), and both groups began to throw insults at each other. Jose Torres claims he grabbed the shotgun because he was worried for their safety, and then he and two others walked towards the group yelling that he would "kill all you n***ers", and "the little ones too".

Then they turned around and got back in their trucks.

Of the fifteen or so people who rode with the convoy, only four of them were sentenced. The other two plead guilty to making terroristic threats, and got 2 years and 4 years.

In my own judgement, the reason Kayla and Jose got as much time as they did, was because they plead not guilty and it went to trial. And as most know, if you plead not-guilty and go to trial, the punishment is always far more severe than if you had plead guilty.

Another member of the convoy claims the situation was overblown. He said he didn't believe the party-goers were afraid, he didn't see any panic. And when the police arrived, they were holding back around 30 black party-goers, who were yelling at the convoy.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 03-03-2017 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2017, 04:22 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,647,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, it happened 18 months ago while Obama was president. So here is what your post should say;

"Hooray, Obama won! We can totally get away with this stuff now!"
You could just as easily say that they were angry that Obama was their president for 6 1/2 years and their rage finally made them go nuts.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,168,576 times
I suspect they're weeping for the punishment - but not from any true remorse.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:59 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,284,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Stories differ in Douglas County Confederate flag flap

The Morning Brew: Georgia couple that made armed, racist threats at black child's birthday party sentenced | News OK

Pair Who Led Racist Attack on Boy's Party Sentenced to Years in Prison - NBC News

2 in Douglas County Confederate flag case sentenced to years in prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4GjzuM72s

In their version of events, someone threw something at one of the trucks(they claim rocks), he lost control of his truck, went off the road, got a flat, and the convoy pulled over and stopped to change the tire.

They claim a large group of angry party-goers began walking towards the confederate-waving convoy(the convoy was flying confederate-flags, and the party-goers were black), and both groups began to throw insults at each other. Jose Torres claims he grabbed the shotgun because he was worried for their safety, and then he and two others walked towards the group yelling that he would "kill all you n***ers", and "the little ones too".

Then they turned around and got back in their trucks.

Of the fifteen or so people who rode with the convoy, only four of them were sentenced. The other two plead guilty to making terroristic threats, and got 2 years and 4 years.

In my own judgement, the reason Kayla and Jose got as much time as they did, was because they plead not guilty and it went to trial. And as most know, if you plead not-guilty and go to trial, the punishment is always far more severe than if you had plead guilty.

Another member of the convoy claims the situation was overblown. He said he didn't believe the party-goers were afraid, he didn't see any panic. And when the police arrived, they were holding back around 30 black party-goers, who were yelling at the convoy.

From your links just one person said there were rocks thrown, no one else said that and its not in the official reports so I'm disinclined to believe it.

The plea bargain system is messed up, I agree with that.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:32 PM

1,548 posts, read 918,284 times
Man, that Kayla Rae chick is pretty hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies