Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No... No he is not out of bounds.
But maybe your right. He should just stay down at Mar-o-lago and run it all from there in todays electronic age.
That would be fine with me.

I actually believe the house reps and senators should remain in their districts and telecommute to D.C. I'm sick of paying for their flights back and forth. I'm sick of paying for an office in their home district and one in DC. I'm sick of paying for a car service. I'm sick of paying for a staff in each location. I'm sick of paying for a meal stipend for them in DC.

Let's pay for four or five trips to D.C. for them each session while making them accessible to the people they represent most of the year and save us tax payers a ton of money.

As a side note, imagine how much harder it will be for lobbyists. Also, maybe they won't get that DC mindset.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously, He deserves to go to spend time with his family. I would certainly be doing that if I were President Trump.

It is his property, so no protesters can come stand on his lawn, or in his golf course unless he gives them permission. His family and grandchildren deserve to visit in peace.

Give the President a break....He works longer and harder all day and is the most transparent President that I've seen in all my voting years since the 1970's.
Seriously?

If he wanted to spend time with his family, there is a big White House in DC in which they can do that, and I think it is kind of private and secure. Obama made do. Ivanka/Jared live in DC. If Melania didn't have to live in her NYC Penthouse (Palm Beach on weekends), they could spend all the time they want together, and it would not cost the taxpayers $10 million per month.

Trump makes a big self-aggrandizing deal out of donating his $400k salary to the Treasury. Well, that isn't really coming out of his pocket, and it is a drop in the bucket of what he and his family's luxury lifestyle is costing the taxpayers, the City of NY and the County of Palm Beach.

I have a really difficult time understanding why people struggling to get by in the Rustbelt and the ghost towns of WV aren't upset about having to pay $10 million per month for Trump to live in luxury. Sorry, but I"m not getting the logic.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Unless you believe you can get those guys to write some reimbursement checks, I really don't care what happened then.

What's happening now isn't right. Trump needs to lead by example and cut out this nonsense. He's burning through too much cash doing this and disrupting way too many lives.

I agree with you on a bunch of other issues, but you really need to admit Trump is out of bounds on this.
I really respect your POV here, Pedro. I'm sure we've disagreed a lot in the past, but I can't NOT give you kudos here.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:11 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That would be fine with me.

I actually believe the house reps and senators should remain in their districts and telecommute to D.C. I'm sick of paying for their flights back and forth. I'm sick of paying for an office in their home district and one in DC. I'm sick of paying for a car service. I'm sick of paying for a staff in each location. I'm sick of paying for a meal stipend for them in DC.

Let's pay for four or five trips to D.C. for them each session while making them accessible to the people they represent most of the year and save us tax payers a ton of money.

As a side note, imagine how much harder it will be for lobbyists. Also, maybe they won't get that DC mindset.
I'm actually sick and tired of paying for my congressman, Trent Franks-8th CD Arizona. He's an anachronistic, waste of protoplasm, troglodyte who has done NOTHING for his district. NOTHING.

They make what, $179,000/yr plus top of the line health insurance, staff, etc.

But, GOPers keep voting for him every election because he has an R next to his name. His district is gerrymandered to the tune of 87% Republican. I'm registered Independent. I pay taxes and I have no representation in Congress. All I have is this fool.

I think representatives should serve ONE six year term and no re-election. EVER. That way they don't have to raise money for "re election campaign".

No lobbyists of any kind unless the entity is in his district.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Weak. I'd give you a 1.5 out of 10.
I disagree. 10/10.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,933 times
Mar-a-Lago has better televisions than the Whitehouse. What else is he to do?

Old 03-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Seriously, He deserves to go to spend time with his family. I would certainly be doing that if I were President Trump.

It is his property, so no protesters can come stand on his lawn, or in his golf course unless he gives them permission. His family and grandchildren deserve to visit in peace.

Give the President a break....He works longer and harder all day and is the most transparent President that I've seen in all my voting years since the 1970's.
He KNEW where the job was going to be at. He asked for the job. He got it. Now, get to work.

All he does in Mar a Lago is play golf and showboat.

He just got into the WH. He doesn't deserve more than any other president.

Why don't you give the taxpayers a break? He should write the treasury a check for $3 million every time he goes down there.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:45 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
He meets with his foreign business partners when he's down there. People forget, he's got a multi billion dollar, international business empire to run and he can't do it sitting in the white house. You don't actually think he's letting his vapid little, milk toast sons run his empire do you?
Like Don Corleone, he holds audience for his business partners at Mar a Lago between 7PM Fri. thru 10PM Sunday.

5 days a week, 8 hrs a day is more than enough to spend on any one nation. The business needs his strong steady hand at the helm.

I bet you think I'm being sarcastic? Hell no, I'm telling you the way it is. If people haven't figured it out yet, they're just not paying attention.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:48 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Good for him. I don't care. At least he's not jetting off to Hawaii and Martha's Vineyard on my dime.
Let's do some math
Washington DC to Martha's Vineyard - approx. 57 minutes flight time
Washington DC to Palm Beach - a little over 2 hours flight time
Cost per hour to operate Air Force One - give or take $200,000

One round trip to Palm Beach negates the $400,000 Presidential salary "savings" Trump has deferred verses going to Martha's Vineyard.
Costs to ship Melania round trip from NYC to Palm Beach not factored in.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:48 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
His family isn't in Florida, and considering how much crap you guys gave to Obama, you're being hypocritical. Trump spends every weekend golfing at the cost of $3 million per day. That's insane. Between that and how much his aides say he watches TV, the man barely actually does any work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies