Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:19 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Farrakhan also believes Blacks arrived in Spaceships and White People are Devils. That is certainly RACISM, if not insanity.

None the less, I have no problem with him spewing his venom anywhere that hosts him and believe he should be do so unmolested and uncensored (and he does).

Why should Murray have had to give his speech in a secure location? Why did he have to tolerate violence of the type used by the Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, Black Shirts, etc? Why were the students setting off fire alarms (illegal and reckless btw).

Why did they not simply debate him in the open?

You yourself admit you have not read his material. Nor have the thugs who attacked him and a women (such courage....).

It does not bother you that you support exactly what you claim to oppose?
And don't forget his famous line "Judaism is a gutter religion". If a wackjob of Farrakhan's ilk went on an anti-Semitic rant at an American college would the SJWs protest? More than likely they would applaud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

WFB

Old 03-08-2017, 01:44 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Screaming and chanting are a way to prevent someone else from speaking. I suppose they can stand out in the parking lot or street screaming their bloody heads off. But it is not an exercise of free speech to prevent someone else from speaking.

The First Amendment doesn't say the volume has to be below certain threshold for the free speech to be valid.

Nice try, but this is another example of the Right suppressing free speech that doesn't conform to their narrow definition.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The First Amendment doesn't say the volume has to be below certain threshold for the free speech to be valid.

Nice try, but this is another example of the Right suppressing free speech that doesn't conform to their narrow definition.

And you are an example of a latter day Orville Faubus.

The students set off fire alarms and then used violence which succeeded in injuring a women.

The First Amendment does not say much about that but the LAW certainly does.

Nice try Orville.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I'm not a "fan" of Farrakhan either (interestingly....I do respect that he takes Black men to task for not marrying their women when they get pregnant). but whether a fan or not.... NO ONE here would (or should) advocate "shutting him down" for the very reasons you cite (it's an alternative viewpoint & he might have some truths or ideas to share).

That's the point danny bm. The Bell Curve guy is a PHD, has written many books, has interesting ideas regarding the decline of white american intelligence numbers the past two generations, the possible causes and implication of this decline, the same concerns for blacks, & the possible causes and implication of this decline.

You may think the Bell Curve guy is a racist, I may think he's an academic who looks at numbers that exists and tries to give explanations for them. Heck....we both may be right...but we won't know unless we listen to the man speak. This is the reason (that smarter guys than either of us decided that) the First Amendment should exist.

danny bm, you were the guy who said that he should be shouted down. you were they guy who said it was OK to beat the cr*p out of him (and an innocent women who was protecting him).

Now you're crawfishing and saying that Colleges are "too politically correct". You can't have it both ways. You can't advocate violence against someone who may or may not have racist thoughts and then say that you are NOT a Social Justice Warrior (& that you're OK with political incorrectness).

You're all over the place. A SJW..... who's not a fan of Farrakahn....who appreciates political incorrectness.....and who supports attacking the First Amendment & beating the cr*p out of people who may or may not have racists thoughts. It's Fascinating & Exhausting.
I dont advocate violence against anyone. If you preach hateful rhetoric that targets minorities, gays, etc, etc., then this type of supremacist nonsense is not acceptable to me. However, we do have a 1st Amendment, and the fine line is always "what can a person say that does not inspire violence or harm to others", we've had a Supreme Court ruling on shouting "Fire!" in a crowd of people. Some things are not allowed, and this guy, and Milo before him, are definitely not examples of that.

But if Milo wants to give a speech, ok, let him speak. If these students want to protest, fine, but let him speak. This guy also deserves that right. If his speech is academic in nature, than definitely let that person speak. That's his right. You can protest after he is finished.

I agree my commentary sounds disjointed, thats because it was. For that I stand corrected. I'm an advocate of free speech, as long as it does not advocate violence or target other people based on their race or sexual orientation, because those things are what people are born with. Religion, on the other hand, is fair game. It is a belief system. I don't care if someone attacks Islam any more than I do if they attack Christianity. Would you feel the same way if a radical Muslim cleric was speaking about the evil perpetrated by so-called Christians over the centuries? I'm not sure this same cleric saying that 9/11 was the direct result of American foreign policy and then being shouted down, I wonder if he would get your full throated support that his right to speak is sacrosanct, no matter the subject?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
The truth he spoke hurt some feelings. So, they were gonna hurt him and all his acquaintances.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,911 times
He didn't create the Bell Curve. He just wrote about it. You and those like you prove the truthfulness and accuracy of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I dont advocate violence against anyone. If you preach hateful rhetoric that targets minorities, gays, etc, etc., then this type of supremacist nonsense is not acceptable to me. However, we do have a 1st Amendment, and the fine line is always "what can a person say that does not inspire violence or harm to others", we've had a Supreme Court ruling on shouting "Fire!" in a crowd of people. Some things are not allowed, and this guy, and Milo before him, are definitely not examples of that.

But if Milo wants to give a speech, ok, let him speak. If these students want to protest, fine, but let him speak. This guy also deserves that right. If his speech is academic in nature, than definitely let that person speak. That's his right. You can protest after he is finished.

I agree my commentary sounds disjointed, thats because it was. For that I stand corrected. I'm an advocate of free speech, as long as it does not advocate violence or target other people based on their race or sexual orientation, because those things are what people are born with. Religion, on the other hand, is fair game. It is a belief system. I don't care if someone attacks Islam any more than I do if they attack Christianity. Would you feel the same way if a radical Muslim cleric was speaking about the evil perpetrated by so-called Christians over the centuries? I'm not sure this same cleric saying that 9/11 was the direct result of American foreign policy and then being shouted down, I wonder if he would get your full throated support that his right to speak is sacrosanct, no matter the subject?

Old 03-09-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
And you are an example of a latter day Orville Faubus.

The students set off fire alarms and then used violence which succeeded in injuring a women.

Nice try Orville.
The violence is separate from the point they were making. I already said they crossed the line! You could say they were morons and they chose the wrong form of expression to voice their disagreement.

But to say they were trying to take the First Amendment rights from other people is a giant lying spin.

Quote:
Yes!! This is not a First Amendment issue but a civil disobedience issue!! This is the only smart thing you've said but too bad your own point seems to be lost on you.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The truth he spoke hurt some feelings. So, they were gonna hurt him and all his acquaintances.
Which, under the First Amendment is absolutely allowed as long they don't break any laws.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Which, under the First Amendment is absolutely allowed as long they don't break any laws.
And assault is indeed against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies