Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:06 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
LWNJs are the first amendment's greatest enemy.

After swarming Murray and two school officials, the protesters shouted profanities, shoved members of the group and then blocked them from getting to a vehicle in a nearby parking lot. Witnesses said the confrontation was aggressive, intimidating and unpredictable and felt like it was edging frighteningly close to outright violence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/g...=.eba43201ae9e
This article in the Weekly Standard, The Middlebury Mob discusses how none of the "resisters" had even read anything Charles Murray has written. To use a favorite leftist expression, the efforts to shut down his speech were "bullying."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 03:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
I like this:
Quote:
"The students who remained to hear the lecture demonstrated both moral and intellectual courage; they should give hope to anyone who despairs entirely over the state of the American college. Most of them were liberals, including Bernie supporters; some of them were conservatives; some were apolitical science majors. But they believe in the value of free speech and rational exchange. They represented the majority of Middlebury students, who are too smart to be told by their professors what to think about books that neither they nor their learned teachers have read. Some of these students attempted to reason with the protesters. Several hailed from countries suffering under authoritarian rule, and for anyone who would listen, they poignantly drew the comparison between what they were witnessing and what they and their families knew at home."

Old 03-05-2017, 04:43 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
This kind of Leftwing nonsense needs to be met with resistance, violent resistance if necessary.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This kind of Leftwing nonsense needs to be met with resistance, violent resistance if necessary.
Maybe. I think there is a right to self-defense and violent people should be prevented from hurting others or causing dangerous situations as well as wanton vandalism. And legal retribution should be significant. And I don't think we should cower or shrink.

But I'm against using force or violence where it is unwarranted. Those who aren't Regressive Leftists or Antifa or Black Bloc should never think we can accomplish good using the same evil tools these groups are resorting to. Instead we should strive to BE what we want to see in the world. We must stand up and fight words with words and ideas with ideas and never think violence or force can ever be the answer unless violence or force is justified.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:03 PM

21 posts, read 8,128 times
Quote:

After swarming Murray and two school officials, the protesters shouted profanities, shoved members of the group and then blocked them from getting to a vehicle in a nearby parking lot. Witnesses said the confrontation was aggressive, intimidating and unpredictable and felt like it was edging frighteningly close to outright violence.

Very sad. That's not how intelligent people react. All they did was confirm the findings of his book.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:05 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
All violence and hatred in America has its roots in Liberalism.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
In other words: no one is blocking you from expressing your opinion, you just don't like the way we react to it.

That is EXACTLY what I have been saying!! Thank you for backing me up.

If your feeling was hurt, too bad. The First doesn't guarantee we will like what you say, only that you have the right to say it.

They don't give them the ability to say anything at all. The people shut down the speech. If they don't agree, why not listen to him speak and then ask questions or give opinions in the question and answer session? It would be far more effective.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:35 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Maybe. I think there is a right to self-defense and violent people should be prevented from hurting others or causing dangerous situations as well as wanton vandalism. And legal retribution should be significant. And I don't think we should cower or shrink.

But I'm against using force or violence where it is unwarranted. Those who aren't Regressive Leftists or Antifa or Black Bloc should never think we can accomplish good using the same evil tools these groups are resorting to. Instead we should strive to BE what we want to see in the world. We must stand up and fight words with words and ideas with ideas and never think violence or force can ever be the answer unless violence or force is justified.
I agree wholeheartedly. Don't stoop to their level. I wish the college administrators would grow a pair and stop giving into these kids' demands all the time. I guess they have no choice since they taught them to do this in their idiotic humanities courses.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:

If I couldn't stand trumpsters delusional hysterics I wouldn't be on city data either. But how much much fun would that be?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
All violence and hatred in America has its roots in Liberalism.
All asinine statements have their roots in a conservative's useless skull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies