Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In my case took me a few trips etc. with out going into detail, to figure out that was the problem... Finally ! But it was not so simple to diagnose at the time... So ??? I Had good ins to cover all. But what kind of ins to buy now, if it's to be selective to one's medical issues ? Who knows what lurks inside our bodies. That was my point. I get it, men can't get pregnant, but the ins many times is a family plan .
Good point. Many illnesses are congenital, but a lot of people don't know they have a problem until it is diagnosed. In the past, an insurer could decline coverage by saying a cancer or heart condition was pre-existing, even years after a person was a policyholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Buying just thyroid insurance might be a stupid idea but I am sure actuaries can give you a number for the premiums. It's all about money.
That's like saying you can get a homeowner's policy after your house burns down or call State Farm and ask what collision costs after your car is totaled.

There are companies like AFLAC and Aetna that sell policies like cancer insurance, but that's not really coverage for medical expenses. It's supplemental insurance. You get a lump sum after you have a stroke or heart attack. It still isn't available if you already have the condition.

Edit: I do agree that it's all about the money. That's why an insurance company doesn't want to cover sick people. I mean, you can't sell life insurance to dead people, right?

Last edited by justNancy; 03-10-2017 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times
Should we force people in New Mexico to buy hurricane insurance for their home? Perhaps make people in Nevada buy flood insurance?

Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Should we force people in New Mexico to buy hurricane insurance for their home? Perhaps make people in Nevada buy flood insurance?
Ridiculous comparison to health care, but where do you think disaster relief comes from? Huh? Most of it comes from taxpayers. So should we not help victims of disasters if we live in an area that doesn't have any?

Just FYI: $136 billion was spent on disaster relief from fiscal year 2011 to fiscal year 2013.

[URL="http://www.businessinsider.com/disaster-relief-costs-underestimated-2013-4"]SOURCE [/URL]

Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not necessarily addressing your quote but using it as a jump off point.

Everyone here should know how insurance works, premiums are paid by everyone to cover incidents suffered by the few. It doesn't matter what type of insurance, whether it's health, or auto or homeowner's or loss of business or crop.

So, Mrs. NBP and I are covered for birth control even though we're both in our 60s (I guess since I'm unaltered I could take advantage of it).

That was the whole, entire premise of Obamacare/ACA. That the young and relatively healthy policyholders would pay for the older, less healthy ones. The birth control coverage just works in reverse.
Insurance shouldn't be some complex redistribution program. You buy insurance to protect against the unknown / unexpected. You nor I should be paying to protect against things that have 0% chance of ever happening.

Would you think it's a good idea to mandate people to buy auto insurance even if they don't drive? Mandate folks in NYC to buy crop insurance? Both of those would lower the costs for the pool.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:00 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Hey, it will make it cheaper for people in Florida.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:35 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Same as always. Use info from previous years. Why would a proven sound business approach like that not be used? You asked a silly question.
Well since it's so simple why haven't companies gone to a broad menu of choices since you claim it's such sound business. Maybe you can refer me to a company that offers rate changes for people that don't want knee replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I think you are trying to say something different, since it doesn't exactly make sense.
Simply put some people don't want health insurance until they are sick, then they end up at the emergency room.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:59 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why should the elderly pay for pre-natal care, child-birth and birth control?
Are you kidding?
Quote:
Should we force tax payers to pay for disaster relief via FEMA even though a majority of us aren't hit by those disasters? Should states hit by hurricanes, fires, tornadoes, etc be taxing their residents at higher rates so they don't have to be subsidized by the rest of us?

Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or scream at the posts on this thread. Since when did we become a nation of people who don't want to care of our fellow human beings?!

Choosing a la carte insurance is not feasible. First of all, that would be way too complex, and the system is already complex enough.

John Shimkus has proven not only that he has no heart, but also that he has no brains.

I'm in favor of preventive healthcare for everyone. It just makes sense. People talk about illegals getting benefits, etc. Well, you know what? Illegals don't live in an isolated bubble. They interact with all of us, meaning that if they get sick we get sick.

My father had a series of falls, broken bones, and hospitalizations for ten years before he died two years ago. One of the last hospitalizations ended up costing $1 million. To say that we should all be on our own with bills like this is inhumane. The government needs to address the cost of health insurance, and how messed up the entire system is. Have you ever tried to get an itemized bill when you have insurance? It's almost impossible. You'll see the "negotiated rate", whatever that is.

And by the way, just because your family doesn't have a history of diabetes doesn't mean you can't get it. Good genetics help, but they're not a guarantee.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Insurance shouldn't be some complex redistribution program. You buy insurance to protect against the unknown / unexpected. You nor I should be paying to protect against things that have 0% chance of ever happening.

Would you think it's a good idea to mandate people to buy auto insurance even if they don't drive? Mandate folks in NYC to buy crop insurance? Both of those would lower the costs for the pool.
How do you know what chances you have of catching a disease in the future, the odds are that you will be sick at some point in the future and need health care.

Those analogies don't pan out, not everyone drives a car but at some point everyone will require healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies