Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 11:59 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,534,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Amtrak services the entire country, except for Alaska and Hawaii. It's not just a northeast rail line.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ezxj4gLemCxXnQ
amtrak is a money pit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,998 posts, read 3,743,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Churches run food pantries, MoW in several areas, community outreach well-check programs for the elderly/disabled shut-ins, kids' programs for at-risk youth, and so on. Why balk at donating/volunteering to help those who are less fortunate? Why so cold-hearted? Give a little, or better yet, a lot. Karmic justice, and all that.
Charities aren't a reliable means of funding nor can they handle the need of an entire nation consistently. All of this has been pointed out here. It's simply an excuse conservatives run to when they have to face the people whom they wish to cut funding to for vital services.

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Meals on wheels should be locally funded.
Your local MoW would be thrilled for your personal donation of your time, energy, gas and money.

They also likely would welcome your unpaid effort to fund raise on their behalf.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM

89,302 posts, read 45,022,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A " should be" is meaningless unless you personally commit to an " I will be".
That's my point. Over and over and over again, we hear how the Fed Gov should do and pay for "this" and "that" from the left. Rarely, if ever, do any of them admit that they themselves have dropped the ball and suggest that they, their friends, and their community members should be donating/volunteering more to help meet their neighbors' needs. /SMH

Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Or your husband could have paid for her meal. Why should my family have to?

Seriously....our church and our town sponsored meals on wheels (& I guess they got some money from the Feds). Both my wife and my teen age daughter volunteered (my wife for over a decade). If the Feds stop giving the program money, they can get it elsewhere...or perhaps MOW will be picked up or moved elsewhere?

I'm all for taking a hatchet to EPA & Amtrak. I'd be fine with eliminating 90% of HUD (& 90% of the Dept. of Education), shut them down and move the remaining semi-essential 10% of the departments into other agencies. (Treasury or Interior?).

Hmm, the article came from the "NY Times". Are they still in business?
You are questioning media reporting of the facts of the proposed budget?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,534,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
That's never going to happen and you know it. Stop propagating Trump's lies. It's funny how you guys keep cheering him on while at the time knowing he's lying to you. Or perhaps you refuse to accept the truth?
trump isn't lying...

his budget proposal cuts foreign aid.... which is what most americans want

but you are correct..it wont happen, because most of the globalist liberals and republicans congress critters will never pass something that cuts foreign aid

Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,743,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Churches run food pantries, MoW in several areas, community outreach well-check programs for the elderly/disabled shut-ins, kids' programs for at-risk youth, and so on. Why balk at donating/volunteering to help those who are less fortunate? Why so cold-hearted? Give a little, or better yet, a lot. Karmic justice, and all that.
Churches also have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason if they so choose. Another mark against your "charities can solve all of our problems" idea.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:05 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,586,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You DO have the proper user name,"fragile".

And I would add immature but, that is not allowed on here.
The irony is fierce with this one.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 PM

59,338 posts, read 27,496,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Meals on Wheels helps keep people out of the nursing homes and that saves a lot of money for the system. In my state the recipients pay for the meals on a sliding scale from $2 to $4 dollars and the drivers are all volunteers. How much can the program really cost? What a mean, small-minded of person wants to cut something like Meals on Wheels for homebound elderly and disabled people?
"How much can the program really cost?"

By the time you add the usual HIGH admin cost the fed ALWAYS has, probably a lot.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,850,692 times
Read about this recently. It is sad they are cutting these programs. For many seniors they really do need those meals.

I used to work for a contractor that provided HUD funded senior/disabled housing. Many of our residents lived on less than $800 a month and could not afford to buy food after paying for medicines and other medical care needs. They heavily depended on Meals on Wheels.

I also wonder if they will be cutting the summer food programs that are in local school districts and HUD public housing locations. Many school children in the summer do not get a meal everyday like they would with school breakfast and lunch.

One of my last housing jobs we had a person who worked for the summer food program who prepared and served the kids and she used to go on and on about how "bad" the kids were but she thought the parents were worse because those kids really didn't have any food to eat and due to being public housing residents, she knew their parents had foodstamps. She did and still does her best every summer to teach the kids some manners and how to eat(some didn't know how to cut food or eat with a fork because they didn't use silverware or eat food that required utensils at home). Many of the kids would be lined up for breakfast at 7am in summer and would tell her how they hadn't eaten anything since lunch the day before. She figured that was why many of them acted so "bad." They were hungry.

Hope all of you who voted for Trump has elderly people in your own family/neighborhood who will suffer due to this. I am a "you get what you vote for" type of person and honestly my main "gripe" with Trump is that he is a horrible person, personality-wise who cares more about money and "winning" than real people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Let churches and private organizations kick in some assistance to replace whatever MFW loses.
My church is running a program over the summer to help kids get meals.
Think outside the box.
FYI - your church probaby gets money from this grant to run their program. Churches in my area, including my mom's church runs this program for kids/elderly too and it is funded via a community block grant provided to them via our city government. The city got the grant from HUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies