Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,388,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Then get out your checkbook and write a check instead of preaching that others should pay. Make it worth writing while your at it.
We do. Every month.

You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:49 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,995,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, Bullfeathers! You obviously don't know anything about elder care. How is an elderly person, living alone, unable to perhaps see to even prepare meals, supposed to get a meal from SS, SSI, and SSDI?

Why, just look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meals_on_Wheels
MOW programs exist in the Australia, Canada, Ireland, the UK and the US. Which of these countries have VATs? Why, all of them except the US!
A publicly funded safety net would mean that Meals on wheels would not be there to help the blind elderly. The blind elderly would get numerous caregivers paid for by taxes to help that person out in their daily life. Whats so bad about that? Cant afford it? We can afford huge increases in gifts to the military industrial complex, so we sure can afford to take care of the needy elderly.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,534,690 times
Ugh. So much posing and posturing in this thread. Over what? A freakin' budget proposal.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Bottom line...many of us who pay taxes and donate money and time to these endeavors have no problem giving money through taxes and donations. So next time...maybe don't assume those of us who support these programs are worthless *******s? Is that asking too much?

As for being fed up? Too frigging bad. I'm fed up with attitudes like yours. See how that works?
You're not asking. You're ASSuming that other people don't need the money and have taken it upon yourself to not only judge families that can't take elderly family members in (because you did it) and preaching that people should pay for other people's choices.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Oh you edited now.

The only nerve you hit is my annoyance with greed.
Can you think past your moral elitism. Do you realize if you rob me of money I could have saved today, I won't have that money for my needs when I become elderly. And you call wanting to have money to pay for my needs when I can no longer work greed? I call it lack of planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Ugh. So much posing and posturing in this thread. Over what? A freakin' budget proposal.
Yeah, I'd bet "a freakin' budget proposal" to cut military spending or farmers aid would garner as much "posing and posturing."

14,221 posts, read 6,995,572 times
Quote:
You're not asking. You're ASSuming that other people don't need the money and have taken it upon yourself to not only judge families that can't take elderly family members in (because you did it) and preaching that people should pay for other people's choices.
If you're a working stiff yourself, you would massively benefit from much better support for the elderly in America, no question about it. Instead, you support a man who literally lives in a golden tower on the East Coast who advocates huge tax breaks for himself and his cronies and a massive buildup of the military industrial complex while sticking it to rural America.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Whoa.
I've never taken in an elderly family member because I've never needed to. But I'm also smart enough to realize that many adult children live very far away from their hometowns, have other responsibilities, don't have a big enough or well equipped home, etc that they can't take in elderly family members.

We all pay for other people's choices. Such as our First Fat Ass in Chief's numerous trips to his private fun land in Florida.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
We do. Every month.

You?
The most moral thing we can do is to pay our way through life (not be takers). Only after there is enough to do fund today's and tomorrow's expenses can we help others.

Nope, after paying all my expenses (without subsidies), I got our elderly years to fund. I already know I won't qualify for any subsidies in my elderly years. Unfortunately not many middle class people will wake up to these facts and they'll find themselves in poverty.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Can you think past your moral elitism. Do you realize if you rob me of money I could have saved today, I won't have that money for my needs when I become elderly. And you call wanting to have money to pay for my needs when I can no longer work greed? I call it lack of planning.
"Moral elitism." LMAO If caring about other people who are in worse situations than I am is "moral elitism" I wear that mantle proudly.

I'll throw something back at you --- you know you have to pay taxes, why haven't you planned accordingly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies