Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,523,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yeah, I'd bet "a freakin' budget proposal" to cut military spending or farmers aid would garner as much "posing and posturing."
I'm sure you're right. And I'm sure plenty of people would also come out in that situation and try to convince others of their righteousness by offering resumes of their acts of goodness. I'd roll my eyes at them, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,791,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
"Moral elitism." LMAO If caring about other people who are in worse situations than I am is "moral elitism" I wear that mantle proudly.

I'll throw something back at you --- you know you have to pay taxes, why haven't you planned accordingly?
LOL you care so much that you preach taking from people who can't afford it to give to those who refuse to do for themselves. There is nothing moral in your thinking. Instead of enabling takers you should be doing the opposite, encouraging good choices, encouraging people to plan for their futures, take action to set up the foundation for their future so they can support themselves.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,984,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL you care so much that you preach taking from people who can't afford it to give to those who refuse to do for themselves. There is nothing moral in your thinking. Instead of enabling takers you should be doing the opposite.
Fact of the matter is that rural America will be hurt the most by these savage cuts. And rural America voted more often than not for Trump. His plan to skyrocket the costs of health care for rural elderly folks and his strong opposition to programs like Meals on Wheels and home heating assistance for the elderly will not go down well with Trump voters in rural areas.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

19,721 posts, read 12,296,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
If you're a working stiff yourself, you would massively benefit from much better support for the elderly in America, no question about it. Instead, you support a man who literally lives in a golden tower on the East Coast who advocates huge tax breaks for himself and his cronies and a massive buildup of the military industrial complex while sticking it to rural America.

Not just rural America, although that was his main support and will be hit hard. Im not sure if they don't understand what he is doing yet or if they don't care. Blue states will suffer too.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Fact of the matter is that rural America will be hurt the most by these savage cuts. And rural America voted more often than not for Trump. His plan to skyrocket the costs of health care for rural elderly folks and his strong opposition to programs like Meals on Wheels and home heating assistance for the elderly will not go down well with Trump voters in rural areas.
How do you know? Are you parroting liberal media?

And just to set you straight, the poor live in both urban and rural area's but you liberals like to portray people in rural area's as people with missing teeth and playing a banjo. From what I see, there are more poor in urban area's, crammed in like sardines. Ugh, do you see how those people live? But hey, they're hanging out, doing drugs, drinking, jumping beds, prostituting, wheeling babies around and we're supposed to feel sorry for them therefore take from our futures to support them?

Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM

19,721 posts, read 12,296,789 times
Quote:
The most moral thing we can do is to pay our way through life (not be takers). Only after there is enough to do fund today's and tomorrow's expenses can we help others.

Nope, after paying all my expenses (without subsidies), I got our elderly years to fund. I already know I won't qualify for any subsidies in my elderly years. Unfortunately not many middle class people will wake up to these facts and they'll find themselves in poverty.
I expect I will have to spend down most or all of what I have if I have a major medical issue or need long term care. Then I will be poor. Why would I not qualify for assistance at that point? I at least would like to know something would be there at that time, and am willing to pay more taxes for that.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM

The most moral thing we can do is to pay our way through life. Only after there is enough to do fund today's expenses and tomorrow's expenses can we help others.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:18 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm sure you're right. And I'm sure plenty of people would also come out in that situation and try to convince others of their righteousness by offering resumes of their acts of goodness. I'd roll my eyes at them, too.
Roll away. As if such a petulant act in cyberworld would have an effect on me. ETA: I notice no ire towards those that asked the questions to elicit such responses in the first place. Not surprised though.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I expect I will have to spend down most or all of what I have if I have a major medical issue or need long term care. Then I will be poor. Why would I not qualify for assistance at that point? I at least would like to know something would be there at that time, and am willing to pay more taxes for that.
Well then write a check to pay more taxes. Me, I'm smart, I pay only what I legally am require to pay. I am also planning for my elderly years.

I don't see a thing wrong with planning and taking action to prepare for the inevitable. Should I just give the money away, then later beg for help and pray that someone will have sympathy for me. Nah, I prefer my way.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times
Quote:
LOL you care so much that you preach taking from people who can't afford it to give to those who refuse to do for themselves. There is nothing moral in your thinking. Instead of enabling takers you should be doing the opposite, encouraging good choices, encouraging people to plan for their futures, take action to set up the foundation for their future so they can support themselves.
Can't afford to pay your taxes?

Poor planning on your part, right? Isn't that what you always say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies