Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support war with North Korea?
Hell yeah 17 11.04%
No way 107 69.48%
Undecided 30 19.48%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,975 times

Advertisements

War with a crazy man would be a bad idea. I do believe this is something can be done between US & China though: China may request US-SK to tuned down war gesture in some way, and China would then work with NK to achieve certain objectives. Details would be unknowable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Rumor has it Donny likes Kim-chee on his Big Macs.

Let's see.

Well, we trade with Vietnam now, something we of course could have done without ever starting that long, inane, asinine, bloody, wasteful war of choice.

What I have yet to hear a good explanation of is given the combined land mass and populations of China and the USSR at the time, what Joe's disciples viewed as the scourge of the earth , is WHY we were supposed to believe that adding the land mass/population of South Vietnam or all of SE Asia for that matter to that scourge would represent any kind of significantly increased threat to the US?
My point is that Vietnam eventually played out and now we are trading partners and see tourism going both ways while our Korea stalemate is a disaster.

I think had we "lost" the Korean War, we'd more than likely be in a much better place than we are now.

We should have never gotten involved in Vietnam or Korea, and we still can't seem to learn any lessons.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My point is that Vietnam eventually played out and now we are trading partners and see tourism going both ways while our Korea stalemate is a disaster.

I think had we "lost" the Korean War, we'd more than likely be in a much better place than we are now.

We should have never gotten involved in Vietnam or Korea, and we still can't seem to learn any lessons.
Well; in that regard, the U.S. is already just a hair's breadth away from an actual demonstrated policy of going to war with the intention of losing, so you might get your wish.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:

I can't claim to know all the ins and outs of what agreements were in place RE:Korea and just what our responsibilities actually were but I'd guess we still could have lived up to our responsibilities and gotten considerably less involved and I couldn't agree more about Vietnam. I've been looking for some reason Vietnam made sense for 35+ years now and have yet to find any. Now waiting for my turn to borrow H R McMaster's Dereliction of Duty from my local library to see his perspective on that horrid war.

It's actions like Korea and Vietnam that make me believe we need a Constitutional Amendment limiting the length of time a POTUS can deploy combat troops anywhere without a formal declaration of war being issued by Congress. I think we go off to war far too easily and the procedure needs to be changed.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well; in that regard, the U.S. is already just a hair's breadth away from an actual demonstrated policy of going to war with the intention of losing, so you might get your wish.

"intention of losing"? Or going off to wars having no potential for winning anything?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
No, from what I've read, his "soldiers" are so underfed they are small. It is a mess of a country and they are probably pretty miserable.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,426 times
Oh look, a stupid poll, with a slanted narrative.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No, from what I've read, his "soldiers" are so underfed they are small. It is a mess of a country and they are probably pretty miserable.
Yes, the N. Koreans are a few inches than their S. Korean counterparts due to lack of food.

The only reason why I would condone war is if NK did something so unthinkable to our allies that we need to uphold our promise of stepping in. There are enough reasons for us to go in given the level of crimes against humanity that the N. Koreans are subjected to in concentration camps there, but that's beside the point.

Sadly with the way Little Kim is flexing his tiny muscles we may see that sooner than we like. The guy is a looney and makes Trump look like a saint in comparison.

We know China is not going to do anything either and are just enabling Little Kim. Meanwhile, they themselves are getting territorial and building up their army in that region. It's just a matter of time before things blow... all it takes is one wrong move or one wrong tweet.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
I believe we could crush NK in no time but we shouldn't.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,406,555 times
Quote:
No.

Why we are so entrenched in Korea is a mystery to me.
We are obligated to South Vietnam by the SEATO treaties dating back to 1954. And The United Nations Security Council responded to the attack by North Korea by adopting (by a 9-0 vote) a resolution that condemned the invasion as a "breach of the peace."

Quote:
IMHO, having that huge military presence on the border only helps support the North's leadership.
Having a military present on the border is a deterrent against a very unstable north run by an even more unstable leader.

Quote:
Let's see here, Vietnam fell and South Korea didn't. How did that work out in the long run?
The reason Vietnam was a failure is because the military actions were controlled by the politicians who bowed down to the protester pressure leave the military handcuffed fighting a war they could not win.

The so-called Police Action in Korea was never declared a war and it never officially ended, only a cease fire exist today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies