Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol....doubt it. But they sure do miss him.

What a strange ass paradox.
I find it interesting, I googled Trump is bad for gun manufacturing. I got all left wing articles with most claiming guns are going down under Trump. Gun Industry collapsing........seems the anti-gun, fear mongers even bought the first 10 pages of google to announce Guns are Going Away!

People are still buying. Now it is not under stress of thinking Hillary is making some law to give gang members more guns and gun owners losing theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A Rash Of Discounting
The sharp deceleration resulted in a spike in discounting last month as big-box retailers and other dealers who loaded up on MSRs and other firearms in anticipation of a Clinton victory shifted to clearance mode.
“We saw some of the big boxes do some pretty strong discounting after the election, particularly after Thanksgiving,” said Larry Hyatt of Hyatt Guns in Charlotte, NC. “Unless their buying is a lot different than ours, they are selling at cost.”

The market is saturated. With women, being the biggest buyers. The focus is now on handguns and not the scary black rifles.
Plus, women are showing their little girls how to shoot. More young girls are becoming shooters and hunters. The last NRA event I went to had more women than men, this has not happened in 20 yrs of the event. This is saying something, even if the anti-gun people want to report fake news.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:51 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
The Ilion plant has been downsizing since 2013. It's too expensive to manufacture in NY, but that location is the longest continuously-operating gun manufacturer in the United States, so they've hung in there for longer than they probably should have. Remington has also had a few recalls that have hurt them. I'm not questioning that having Trump in office has led to a bit of a slow down, but it's not the only thing affecting Remington.

(And while they don't have an extensive range of handguns, they do make a 1911. )

Old 03-22-2017, 09:59 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This is interesting. And I am aware that just because NICS are at a record level it doesn't exactly reflect firearms sales, since many states do not require one for secondary sales. But for sales of new firearms a call to the system is required so I suppose it reflects new sales only ? For those that already owned a firearm and are applying for a CPL, they get background checked but not thru this system.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/..._year.pdf/view

Trump Era NICS: February 2017 Third Highest on Record

I'm willing to bet that the industry is just feeling a market correction from all buying spree prior to the election. Also, in some cases like companies that currently manufacture silencers, they are feeling the burn from consumers waiting to see if they will be pulled from the NFA list , which then will require no additional paperwork. I know I'm waiting. Then if that happens you will see a boon, as many rush to purchase.

INDUSTRY NEWS: 122 Layoffs At Remington Ilion Plant; 39 In Huntsville - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Layoffs Reported at SilencerCo, Lagging Sales Due to Hearing Protection Act Indicated - The Truth About Guns
"This is interesting. And I am aware that just because NICS are at a record level it doesn't exactly reflect firearms sales, since many states do not require one for secondary sales. But for sales of new firearms a call to the system is required so I suppose it reflects new sales only ?'

And many states do NOT require a second NCIS background if you have already passed one and have current Concealed Carry Permit.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"This is interesting. And I am aware that just because NICS are at a record level it doesn't exactly reflect firearms sales, since many states do not require one for secondary sales. But for sales of new firearms a call to the system is required so I suppose it reflects new sales only ?'

And many states do NOT require a second NCIS background if you have already passed one and have current Concealed Carry Permit.

I was not aware of this. Here in MI, they make a call for every new sale, long gun , handgun permit holder or not. I'm not sure if it is a law or just the FFL's covering their butts. I know secondary sales of handguns can be sold face to face with a CPL.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
I was not aware of this. Here in MI, they make a call for every new sale, long gun , handgun permit holder or not. I'm not sure if it is a law or just the FFL's covering their butts. I know secondary sales of handguns can be sold face to face with a CPL.
There are about 20 of them that don't require NICS if you have a cc and/or purchase permit. PA, I have to do the background check every time, but we use PICS - PA's version.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
I'm into firearms.

The silly panic buying over the past few years was irritating and amusing at the same time. Now that a Pub is in the WH, so many of my hyperactive fellow enthusiasts are no longer bloviating endlessly about SHTF and EOTWAWKI scenarios. On the plus side, prices for guns and ammo have dropped and availability has increased.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I find it interesting, I googled Trump is bad for gun manufacturing. I got all left wing articles with most claiming guns are going down under Trump. Gun Industry collapsing........seems the anti-gun, fear mongers even bought the first 10 pages of google to announce Guns are Going Away!

People are still buying. Now it is not under stress of thinking Hillary is making some law to give gang members more guns and gun owners losing theirs.
Nah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'm into firearms.

The silly panic buying over the past few years was irritating and amusing at the same time. Now that a Pub is in the WH, so many of my hyperactive fellow enthusiasts are no longer bloviating endlessly about SHTF and EOTWAWKI scenarios. On the plus side, prices for guns and ammo have dropped and availability has increased.

Bingo. Marketing Strategy: Fear. Not "we make a great product."

Old 03-22-2017, 03:26 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not his fault that he was the president in a nation rife with rubes and hayseeds.

So your thread has no credibility I see.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
"I was not aware of this."

It is TRUE.

I was with friend at gun show and he bought a new pistol from a dealer and all he had to do was to show his CCP and a rvalid picture ID, he showed his DL paid his money and we walked out with gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies