Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:11 AM

908 posts, read 1,419,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Pedophiles don't have a political organization and the acts they commit are illegal and reprehensible just like the KKK were destroyed as a organization after they were sued since their agenda was racist and murderous against blacks.

BLM is about holding protests against police killings of black people and broader issues of racial profiling, police brutality, and racial inequality in the United States criminal justice system.

You may not like the tactics BLM uses but the issues are real and it stems out of racism in this country which has never has gone away.
Pedophiles have two political organizations. They're called the American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association. My litmus test for the success of Jeff Sessions and Betsy DeVos is whether or not Randi Weingarten, Arne Duncan, and their top subordinates are serving multiple life sentences for the crimes they're responsible for or not within the next four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Pedophiles don't have a political organization and the acts they commit are illegal and reprehensible just like the KKK were destroyed as a organization after they were sued since their agenda was racist and murderous against blacks.

BLM is about holding protests against police killings of black people and broader issues of racial profiling, police brutality, and racial inequality in the United States criminal justice system.

You may not like the tactics BLM uses but the issues are real and it stems out of racism in this country which has never has gone away.
Then why is there looting during these protests? Looting of black owned businesses by the way.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Racism is not something you can hush out of existence, racist people dont stop being racist just because you dont talk about it.
From about 1970 till about 2009, we did one simple thing. Americans in general did their best to focus less and less on race across the board. That is not necessarily a passive thing. Some people with persistent racism had to unlearn what their crazy fathers or mothers or uncles or aunts or grandparents taught them. Even if you didn't have any of that home grown prejudice, you still had to silence that part of all humans that is naturally tribal that wants to create a "us vs them" dichotomy. "That person looks different than me." is one of the most natural "tribes" we just naturally tend to divide into, so actively pointing out that this is not okay is useful. Again, not a passive thing. We stopped talking about race so much and things gradually got better.

Then President Obama got elected and the completely unexpected happened: Obsession over race, talking about race, obsessing over race relations and all things about race was a much bigger focus in the national conversation. Race relations haven't been this bad since before 1970. Then Black Lives Matter did its thing and made matters even worse.

Case in point, imagine how differently this experiment would have looked 10 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJJqW7Hrgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKGvEF0NAy8

Talking about racism constantly makes things worse. Honestly, as a white guy who grew up with no notion of racism (example: 10 year old me had no clue that the n-word was something to do with black people), it's something that fascinates and puzzles me. The notion that I should give a crap how much melanin somebody has in their skin is just weird. It's also stressful once you realize that there's a bunch of "racism rules" and that you can be grossly offensive completely on accident. If I'm around black people, I'm apparently supposed to constantly second guess myself, asking if anything I do or say could be misconstrued as racism. Honestly, I'd rather go back to just not thinking about it.

Consider the exchange:
Mike Wallace: "How are we gonna get rid of racism?"
Morgan Freeman: "Stop talking about it! I'm gonna stop calling you a white man and I'm gonna ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman."

And honestly, the most effective thing we ever did to combat the true racists like Stormfront and the KKK was to simply ignore them. Oh sure, if they or anyone else do something violent or illegal then you do something about it. But otherwise, you just ignore them. The KKK very nearly went extinct when Americans did that. Conversely, obsessing about race and oppression olympics and such has resulted in the real racists growing and increasing in influence. The KKK has apparently doubled in size since BLM has been a thing. I fully anticipate that anti-Trump protesters mantra, "No Trump. No KKK. No racist USA." and the like will result in the KKK at least doubling in size in the next four years. Why? Because when you call attention to evil too often you normalize evil. When people without a racist bone in their bodies are constantly being called racists and KKK and Nazis, you're normalizing driving them towards those ideologies.

So ... how is talking about race and racism working out for us? Lousy, that's how.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why do people only seem to find negative articles about BLM and those who support it? Here is a story of a lady who was inspired by the BLM movement to write a book that has become a NY Times best seller for young adult books Talking 'The Hate U Give' With YA Novelist Angie Thomas
Plenty of positive things BLM has done, but of course, the media focuses on the bad, for the obvious reason.

Don't waste your time with the people on this forum, OP.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,853 times
Geez.... this reminds of Mussolini. He made the trains run on time, how uplifting.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 AM

526 posts, read 386,556 times
Then start telling all the positive stories. Why does everyone else have to go along with your interests? You feel so strongly about it, get out there. Start a YT channel extoling the virtues of BLM. Write a blog, go on interviews, hell if you're so proud of the work they've done debate someone who is anti-BLM.

You can't compel others to take on your ideals and struggles. You think they're great? Tell us about it.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
From about 1970 till about 2009, we did one simple thing. Americans in general did their best to focus less and less on race across the board. That is not necessarily a passive thing. Some people with persistent racism had to unlearn what their crazy fathers or mothers or uncles or aunts or grandparents taught them. Even if you didn't have any of that home grown prejudice, you still had to silence that part of all humans that is naturally tribal that wants to create a "us vs them" dichotomy. "That person looks different than me." is one of the most natural "tribes" we just naturally tend to divide into, so actively pointing out that this is not okay is useful. Again, not a passive thing. We stopped talking about race so much and things gradually got better.

Then President Obama got elected and the completely unexpected happened: Obsession over race, talking about race, obsessing over race relations and all things about race was a much bigger focus in the national conversation. Race relations haven't been this bad since before 1970. Then Black Lives Matter did its thing and made matters even worse.

Case in point, imagine how differently this experiment would have looked 10 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJJqW7Hrgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKGvEF0NAy8

Talking about racism constantly makes things worse. Honestly, as a white guy who grew up with no notion of racism (example: 10 year old me had no clue that the n-word was something to do with black people), it's something that fascinates and puzzles me. The notion that I should give a crap how much melanin somebody has in their skin is just weird. It's also stressful once you realize that there's a bunch of "racism rules" and that you can be grossly offensive completely on accident. If I'm around black people, I'm apparently supposed to constantly second guess myself, asking if anything I do or say could be misconstrued as racism. Honestly, I'd rather go back to just not thinking about it.

Consider the exchange:
Mike Wallace: "How are we gonna get rid of racism?"
Morgan Freeman: "Stop talking about it! I'm gonna stop calling you a white man and I'm gonna ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace. You know me as Morgan Freeman."

And honestly, the most effective thing we ever did to combat the true racists like Stormfront and the KKK was to simply ignore them. Oh sure, if they or anyone else do something violent or illegal then you do something about it. But otherwise, you just ignore them. The KKK very nearly went extinct when Americans did that. Conversely, obsessing about race and oppression olympics and such has resulted in the real racists growing and increasing in influence. The KKK has apparently doubled in size since BLM has been a thing. I fully anticipate that anti-Trump protesters mantra, "No Trump. No KKK. No racist USA." and the like will result in the KKK at least doubling in size in the next four years. Why? Because when you call attention to evil too often you normalize evil. When people without a racist bone in their bodies are constantly being called racists and KKK and Nazis, you're normalizing driving them towards those ideologies.

So ... how is talking about race and racism working out for us? Lousy, that's how.

Repped. Love this post. It's exactly what happened.

Being black, I grew up with a sprinkle of racist whites here and there, but for the most part, nobody cared about race much. In fact, it was just something to really kinda laugh at. I remember TV shows like Chappelle Show poking at race back in 2004 and nobody really got offended, but they laughed (like the racial draft, and the black blind guy who didn't know he was black but ran a racist white group). Nowadays, you can't even do that type of humor without .mic, Slate, or BuzzFeed writing an article blasting it. But before 2013ish, race really was just like "oh hey, you're unique or different from me...cool!" and that was it.

When it came to dating, I just dated...women. I didn't look at skin color. I dated white, black, spanish, mixed girls. I didn't look at the race of the girl. Now, I'm in a relationship with a white blonde, and suddenly, people seem to call it out more recently than ever before because of the current situation. It's this whole rise of identity politics that really have divided the country, ironically, not Donald Trump. I despise BLM, honestly. They give black people a bad name. People are just so harped on race now, but no one is really struggling. If this were 1950's America where literally black people didn't have equal rights, then sure. But....we have had equal rights for the past 50 years now, with the same opportunities as anyone else who works hard to achieve their goals in life. I could easily go get my PhD, and be a millionaire if I wanted to. But what the current media tells me is "if you're black, you'll never get as far as a white person because of white privilege." Like...what's that even mean?! LOL.

Beautiful post, godofthunder.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why do people only seem to find negative articles about BLM and those who support it? Here is a story of a lady who was inspired by the BLM movement to write a book that has become a NY Times best seller for young adult books Talking 'The Hate U Give' With YA Novelist Angie Thomas
The BLM movement, just like all movements, takes a lot of organization and resources to get going. The BLM movement was supported by leftist factions, and the leftwing media, for only one reason; Because they wanted to use BLM to get minorities to vote for democrats in the 2016 election.

The movement was never supposed to produce policy changes. And that was obvious from the very beginning, since most of the incidents being protested by the BLM, were in majority-black cities.

Basically, the BLM was there to rally the troops, not to change anything. It would exist as long as the media and other influential groups, continued to support them and give them coverage. The moment the BLM was no longer useful, they were going to be abandoned and dismissed.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:19 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Worth noting that the worst thing white people can compare BLM to is....other whites.
Nooooo people are comparing BLM to KKK because both are hate groups!

Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I'm thinking back to the early 70s when racism was far more common and racial tensions and division was even greater than today. Even if under Obama we stepped back probably two decades at least. But as kids we were exposed to jokes about polacks, asians and jews and African americans and all the racial slurs. And I've thought about where it came from. None of our parents were racist. Sure they were white bread but they were more concerned about their own lives and families and bills than race. And then years later it hit me. TV was to blame. Popular culture promoted that racism. Go right to " All In The Family" and there was a huge cause of it. Norman Lear preached against it and made Archie Bunker a comic buffoon and it made people more conscious of it. They saw it and thought racism was funny, even if it was ignorant. If you made racist jokes, you got laughed at. So instead of promoting racial awareness and diversity( and he was guilty of creating his own world that was very different than ours), Norman Lear did the opposite. So did Obama. And so did BLM.
So Morgan Freeman was 100% correct about what he said.
Now take that and look at issues like LGBT rights, illegal immigration, everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies