Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:46 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,856 times

Advertisements

Does this mean that millennials are a bunch of spoiled brats!!!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lling-marriage

Last edited by fordtrucks; 04-05-2017 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post

The millennials have been handed a colossal mess from the baby boomers. 20 Trillion dollars in debt. A consumer-based, healthcare economy.

The future looks bleak for much more reasons than simply a break down of the family unit. Remember Hillary Clinton, who is a baby boomer was advocate for same sex marriage, feminist rights, etc..

This is not due to the millennials, who many are struggling living with their parents because they have no other choice in this economy that wants to pay $12 for skilled workers.

Hardly enough to support a family on.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
People are living longer. Pushing the ages for marriage and raising kids, goes along with that. Never marrying is OK, too. Different strokes for different folks.

What's the big deal??

Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
People are living longer. Pushing the ages for marriage and raising kids, goes along with that. Never marrying is OK, too. Different strokes for different folks.

What's the big deal??
Yes, I prefer this to young people feeling intense pressure to get married.

I'm in my 40s, and even 20 years ago a lot of women were made to feel like their self worth was tied up in whether they got married. It's not for everyone.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Times are different. We, who grew up in the 50's and 60's, had a different set of rules to live by. We got out of HS, maybe went to college, then settled down to get married and raise a family. It was simply how we thought we should do things. Today's young are not so structured in what they think life should be like. They move in together (something we would have never done in the 50's), and sometimes even raise a family without the need to go down the aisle together.

Just like so many young people who do not even get a driver's license any more, a lot of youngsters feel they do not need a piece of paper to legitimize their relationship to their mate. Were we right or are they right ?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
I could give a lot of explanations for why many young people are delaying marriage, and, in many cases, home ownership, but I'm not going to right now. You've probably heard them, anyway.

I will only say this: In the 1960's, older people thought the sky was falling because of what the Baby Boomers were up to. It wasn't. All of this Millennial-bashing is getting really tiresome.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:

No

Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
I myself have far better things to do than get into a committed relationship, and I am not a part of the hookup culture. Nothing cool or appealing about sleeping around-diseases, kids I'm not ready for...

Plus when statistics show most new marriages fail within 5 years, I'm in no hurry to "settle down"

Dating scene is like this, too many insecure, unsure of what they want, wanting the significant other to change, unfaithful, throw in kids from previous relationships, very promiscuous past that they aren't ashamed of, the "prince" and "princess" outlook on life...

Boy theres alot of quality people to meet...

Modern women-I want a man whos college educated, has a good job owns a house, a new car, no bills, doesn't drink in excess. What does she offer-kids from a previous relationship, debt, drama, and if it weren't for a microwave, couldn't cook.
Modern men, I want a girl whos drop dead gorgeous, cooks cleans wife material...

Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:

I have no idea how you conclude that "millennials are a bunch of spoiled brats." Your article's study makes several conclusions:

1. More than half of those 25-34 are waiting to get married
2. Young people are more likely not to be living on their own than 35 years ago
3. Millennials are delaying getting house and kids
4. 2/3 of Millennials started college compared to 1/2 of boomers

The first statistic doesn't make sense. I wasn't married at 25 but was by the time I was 34. Which group would I be in?

The next three go together. If more are going to college, then they start in the job market later which delays living on their own which delays marriage and getting a house and kids.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:

david bowie mentioned something about this a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BO-Sg9ABfo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies