Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 02:00 PM

51,692 posts, read 25,969,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Agreed .That's the problem. No one has any real facts.
Seems some do.

I'll repost.

According to Charles Lister, a senior fellow at the US-based Middle East Institute, "all nerve agents in Syria are binary which means the toxic agent in its active state is not contained within the weapon. ... Even if they were stored together and then targeted, blowing them up would not result in any active nerve agent — it’s chemically impossible.”

British chemical expert Colonel Hamish de Bretton-Gordon dismissed the Russian claim that rebels struck a chemical weapons warehouse, inadvertently unleashing nerve agents. .... “immolating sarin eliminates sarin.”

‘Chemical war’ in Syria: Russia blaming rebels ‘highly implausible’, experts say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 02:06 PM

39,127 posts, read 51,416,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Based on how ineffective it was and how the morons in the GOP are cheering yet another military attack, I'm going to go with a deflection from Russia scandal.
The evidence is mounting that this was a false flag operation from the get go conducted with the intention of slowing/stopping inquiries into Trump's illegal business dealings with Russia. The problem I have is that the Trump admin is to incompetent to coordinate something like this. Putin is not though, so maybe he masterminded the whole thing.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:13 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,822,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The evidence is mounting that this was a false flag operation from the get go conducted with the intention of slowing/stopping inquiries into Trump's illegal business dealings with Russia. The problem I have is that the Trump admin is to incompetent to coordinate something like this. Putin is not though, so maybe he masterminded the whole thing.
First, I hate Trump. But I don't believe this conspiracy theory 100%. Of course TRUMP couldn't mastermind this by himself but you take Kushner and the generals and they could! And Trump watches tv and saw the babies killed so it was pretty easy for them to talk him into doing something. All he had to do was make a speech (that someone else wrote) and sign a paper.

Could be that part of the reason they did it was to divert attention, using the Syrian poisoning as a good excuse, but could also be that they were revved up enough to just really want to do something about it. And anyway, it alienated Bannon! He is fed up and will be gone as he is an isolationist and wanted nothing to do with his. Good riddance to Bannon and the freedom caucus.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:15 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,778,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We spent $100 million on those missiles, and the airfield was operational THE SAME DAY.
Depends what ordnance it was armed with.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:15 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Quote:
It's not illegal to do business in Russia.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,890,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
There is no way if the tomahawk hit that field it is back in operation
Air bases can become operational right away, especially with Soviet/Russian aircraft. This is what I stated way back, it will operational within a few days, I was wrong, it was operational within 24 hours.

Taking out airbases, especially those operating Soviet/Russian aircraft, is essentially useless unless it is a pretext for an invasion, in which you need to diminish air capability for a short time. Other than that, it is quite useless with the exception of hitting the actual aircraft.

I honestly now think the US knew this, and so did the Russians, and the strike was nothing more than a show, than to actually have a material impact. Russia has the capability in Syria to knock down those missiles, but they did not do it, which seems to me Russia has an understanding, or even a behind close deal, with the US for this strike.

On another thread I stated "what options does the US have?" implying we had none; well, I think I was wrong, this seemed like a good response, in that we did not do any real damage, yet made it clear we are willing to strike if we want to. I think Trump did it to also show he has no issues with using to force.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,902,890 times
Today Obama Officials campaign that the Republican Congress held them back on the Red Line Comment. What a joke and the Obama Administration was once wrong on their policy. The Fact is Kerry and Obama never removed the Chemicals in the first place.

Obama aides push back against criticism of inaction on Syria

JESSE J. HOLLAND,Associated Press 4 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Obama administration officials are pushing back against criticism of the former president, saying they proposed similar airstrikes in Syria to the ones President Donald Trump ordered this week, but were stymied by a Republican-controlled Congress reluctant to go along with the Democratic president's plan.
This comes after Trump ordered the missile strikes against Syria without getting congressional approval, determined to punish the Syrian government for the use of chemical weapons against civilians.
Trump laid part of the blame for the chemical attack on former President Barack Obama, saying the deaths were a "consequence of the past administration's weakness and irresolution."
Republicans, however, who controlled Congress then as they do now, were adamant that Obama should not act without their approval, Obama aides said. Trump also had called for Obama to get congressional approval before any attack on Syria.
"Once you put it in Congress's hand, it became clear at that time that they were not ready to assume responsibility," said Dennis Ross, a former Obama administration adviser on the Middle East. "But the problem wasn't that Congress wasn't seen as lacking in responsibility, it was that the president was seen as having drawn a 'red line' and when it came time to act on it, he didn't and that had an impact on the way the U.S. was seen in the aftermath."

Old 04-08-2017, 02:31 PM

39,127 posts, read 51,416,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
First, I hate Trump. But I don't believe this conspiracy theory 100%. Of course TRUMP couldn't mastermind this by himself but you take Kushner and the generals and they could! And Trump watches tv and saw the babies killed so it was pretty easy for them to talk him into doing something. All he had to do was make a speech (that someone else wrote) and sign a paper.

Could be that part of the reason they did it was to divert attention, using the Syrian poisoning as a good excuse, but could also be that they were revved up enough to just really want to do something about it. And anyway, it alienated Bannon! He is fed up and will be gone as he is an isolationist and wanted nothing to do with his. Good riddance to Bannon and the freedom caucus.
I'm not convinced myself. I tend more the position that it was a staged gas attack by Al Qaeda (they run the hospital where it happened and was bombed by the Russians). They may have gassed the patients or they may have just put on a little theatre. The intent was to get Trump to change his position on overthrowing the Assad regime. Just a few days earlier Trump said he backed Assad and the Russians. Then comes the gas incident and he goes right back to Obama's policy of ousting him. Al Qaeda wins. Then there is the ongoing Russia scandal that had Trump in a corner. All highly suspicious.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,496,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This scenario is chemically impossible.

According to Charles Lister, a senior fellow at the US-based Middle East Institute, "all nerve agents in Syria are binary which means the toxic agent in its active state is not contained within the weapon. ... Even if they were stored together and then targeted, blowing them up would not result in any active nerve agent — it’s chemically impossible.”

British chemical expert Colonel Hamish de Bretton-Gordon dismissed the Russian claim that rebels struck a chemical weapons warehouse, inadvertently unleashing nerve agents. .... “immolating sarin eliminates sarin.”

‘Chemical war’ in Syria: Russia blaming rebels ‘highly implausible’, experts say

Not only is this Russian scenario chemically impossible, it makes no sense that the opposition forces had chemical weapons they hadn't used on anyone other than themselves.
A British "expert" is not an opinion I care to believe.

There's still not enough evidence for me. Hitting the airbase was a stupid thing to do and considering the rebels have used CWs in the past, they have been found smuggling them by the Turks and Al-Q has the means to produce it.

Why would Syria do it anyway? Who would benefit? They have total air superiority and are winning. Not 10 days ago The Trump admin said removing Assad was not a priority. Strange coincidence? Some people will do anything to win.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times
Quote:

The attack was because Assad used weapons of mass destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies