Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can just imagine the fun we would have here if everyone's sexual thoughts were being posted for all to see.

Hey!
Don't YUCK in my YUMMY!

If my wife only knew what I have thought about, to do to her best friend for the last 25 years.....
I would never act on it and probably not know what to do with it if I got it, but in my mind, I have done her 100's of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think they are trying to make a distinction between pedophilia, which is an attraction to pre-pubescent children, vs. pederasty which means actually molesting a child.

Not all pedophiles are pederasts, and not all child molester / rapists are pedophiles.
Exactly this.

Many people don't know what the word "pedophile" means. It is an attraction specifically to pre-pubescent children (NOT teens, many on threads throw around the word pedophile in the completely wrong context) - and in many cases, not necessarily all children of all ages but some specific "type" - and it's merely the attraction. It doesn't mean they act on it. Obviously we see the attraction as morally wrong, but no, pedophiles don't deserve to be jailed or otherwise punished or with any other horrible method of torture and death people have mentioned here, until they actually act on that desire and attraction. Some may never act on it, because they can recognize how wrong it is that they feel that way and can work on controlling it.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:10 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
People who oppose homosexuality in any way are called homophobes, with the insinuation being that their opposition stems from deeply seated homosexual feelings that the "intolerant one" either doesn't want to confront or doesn't want to admit to. I wonder if things continue to "progress" the way they are, if similar tactics could not be used in the case of pedophilia. Pedophilophobes might just be closet pedos who don't want to own up to it, after all. Uh oh...what do you do now? Tolerate it or have people think you're a closet case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm not so sure your line will hold if the propagandists ever decide to do their magic on the issue. Fear of being thought of as a closet homosexual shut a lot of people up. Even when you can't always change minds you can get people to keep their thoughts to themselves.
Yes, the pedophiles would be wise to use the same propaganda tactics as the gay movement.

However, there is a key difference between pedophilia and homosexuality: there's no victim in a consenting homosexual relationship. So I'm willing to live and let live. Will the pedophiles be as successful as the homosexuals? Probably not, because there are clearly victims (children) in that case.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
From the article:

(quote):

"The new manual specifies that in order for an atypical sexual behavior to be classified as a mental condition, a person must:

1. Feel personal distress about their interest, not merely distress resulting from society’s disapproval;
or

2. have a sexual desire or behavior that involves another person’s psychological distress, injury, or death, or a desire for sexual behaviors involving unwilling persons or persons unable to give legal consent."
(unquote)

Wow, am I understanding this correctly or does this mean that if a person does not feel bad about thinking about having sex with a minor (or by extension, any sexual behavior that most people consider to be wrong and/or abnormal) for any reason other than s/he knows that most people thing it is wrong, that means that s/he does not suffer from a mental problem? So that as long as a person thinks that thinking about that behavior is okay (never mind what others might think), then that means that s/he is "okay"?

I don't think so, but I do think the American Psychiatric Association should have its collective head examined!

Old 04-28-2017, 01:47 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I have now read most of the posts, and this is not to respond to any particular one, but to what some people have written.

I don't believe that anyone in the past has attempted to monitor or punish just thoughts, unless someone has "confessed" to having "bad" thoughts.. What I have a problem with, though, are with those who would seek to tell someone who has unhealthy and/or dangerous thoughts that those thoughts are actually okay. Now, I am certainly not going to argue that thoughts equal actions -- I believe no such thing! -- but I think it is simply wrong to say that "bad" thoughts are acceptable in ALL cases; and I think doing so would discourage someone from either seeking help or using self control when they have thoughts that, if acted upon, might very well cause harm to someone else.

For example, for centuries, it was taught that lustful thoughts were wrong, harmful, sinful, etc.; and then this belief was mostly (and rightly, imo) destigmatized to the point that now, it seems to me, that very few people "hide" their lustful thoughts from anyone but their S.O.'s when those thoughts involve anyone other than their S.O.'s, lol. So if people feel free to express their pedophilic (sp?) thoughts, even if they do not actually act on them, what will be the outcome of that? I think that it will lead to bad situations that very few people can predict.

And don't tell me that this definitely won't happen! For years we were taught that simply accepting people who are not strictly heterosexual would not cause any problems for society, but that is exactly what has happened! To be clear, I do not have any ill will whatsoever toward anyone who is not entirely "straight", and I acknowledge that many of the "problems" that the open acceptance of those in the LGBTQ community are very minor, imo, but the fact is that this acceptance has nevertheless caused some problems for some heterosexuals. (And, yes, many people might respond, "So what?" -- but that leads to the overriding question about majority rights and comfort vs. minority rights and comfort when no actual physical harm has been done, a question that has been asked many times, but that has never -- at least to my knowledge -- been successfully answered.)

And, yes, I have read that t non-heterosexuals are not any more likely to commit violent sexual crimes than heterosexuals are, but I am talking about what is good for society in general.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:32 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
NAMbLA hard at work behind the scenes.

Here, this will make you puke - https://www.nambla.org/
on that topic -

Documents Tie Berkeley Riot Organizers To NAMBLA | The Daily Caller

Old 04-29-2017, 12:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Remember when the liberals and atheists laughed at the slippery slope argument made back when gay marriage was the big debate? Well here we are.
Lol. Yes, here we are trying to protect you from the thought police.

You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies