Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Well, your statement bears repeating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
There needs to be a war on poverty in the country. As a society we can do better.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Europeans are just like us and all cultures. They think that we are inferior. We think they are inferior. It just a natural thing becasue humans are not perfect and prefer their own. Ithink they also tend to thing that christain are motivated by something other than belief and soemare but most are not.Afteral the crimanl always thinks he does evryhting because socirty forces him and that everybodyis a crook inside.Christianiyt becomes more popular because man's belief in man has just run its course. Most recognise that man is as they say a sinner.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by texdav
Quote:
They think that we are inferior. We think they are inferior.
Unlike you I do not think in terms of superior and inferior; as a pragmatist I only think in terms of what works and what does not work. I don't care about nationality, religion, (political and / or religious) philosophy or gender.
And I certainly do not believe that man is borne a sinner.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
But what works for who? Generally people judge times by their situation. If you go from midlle class to lower middle class then you think things are not working. If you are poor you think government is not working for you. What works for one maybe bad for others and usually is in a economy because their is only so much to divide and that changes over time.Different areas of the country with different econmic bases are booming in one place and dying in the other.The farmer has seldom had it so good for example;his crops are in demand for fuel as well as food.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 AM

418 posts, read 564,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
There needs to be a war on poverty in the country. As a society we can do better.
That's the whole point... not just a war, BUT a BIG war. Meanwhile, money is wasted everywhere BUT inside this country...

This country seems to intervene everywhere else, BUT on its own soil.

Even from FED, there was a statement that inequality such as in USA could seriously threaten economic future. I do agree.

The way of thinking "me, me, me and only me..." will come back and hit hard. It already has.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by texdav
Quote:
But what works for who? Generally people judge times by their situation.
Originally Posted by fiksi
Quote:
The way of thinking "me, me, me and only me..." will come back and hit hard.
What works for the greater good. What only works for 1 nation or for 1 small group should make way for what works for all (or at least the most) people.
We should start thinking globally instead of only individually, locally, or nationally.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
Yes, i know... that old lady of 80 years... i gave her a nice tip. But many people work literally till they die!

Many "private" pensions in USA have failed. Remember government bailouts? Remember Enron?

THESE people have lost it ALL.

FYI, I am SORRY to have moved to USA. I am going back, though... my brother lives in Switzerland(I'm from Croatia), and that's probably where i'll be going, Zuerich area.

These people they show on TV, these are fortunate ones... one in a million!

And yes, MANY parts of USA look like third world countries... it makes you cry.

Also, about "from rugs to riches", more and more are uninsured, can't afford anything...

I never quite met people like these hard working people before... Why do you work 3 jobs i asked? They say, because each pays 5$/hr, i have no pension, my child is sick, i have no HI...

SOME people work LITERALLY to be able to buy basic medications, 10+ hours a day!

I KNOW some people go to Mexico for cheaper drugs... this is very sad.

Also... work is horrendous. Vacations? Yes... 10s of millions have no sickdays, no vacations, no NOTHING. You get sick one day, the other you're fired.

Losing job means losing everything in USA... and working hours are extreme compared to other nations. Basically, people with NO LIFE at all often force everyone to keep working. If you leave, they get promoted, or you get fired!

No choice but rat race... I'm so stressed out, sometimes i hardly sleep at all. My wife and kids, i have little time for them... my quality of life is suffering.
If you make good money, obviously you must live where the good money is not making your standard of living feasible. My husband and I both worked from the time we were teens on - went to college and got good jobs and worked hard; we bought our small house 37 years ago while we were young; had 2 daughters and raised them here , on the border of the rural area on 5 acres of land. Boith girls are married and own homes ( they are in their late 20s) Both daughters and husbands work hard and make good salaries. my husband and I put aside every cent we could for retirement, have good investments and a paid home, and we retired in our 50s; we did not make a lot of money but have pensions and health insurance (the benefit of making less money - we took the pension).

We live in a "poor" area of NY state. I would not trade it for the world. Our cost of living is very reasonable. It is not stressful. I see people who spent lots of money while working now trying to pay mortgages they should not have taken and trying to figure out how to make ends meet since they never planned ahead. The word here is CHOICE: we chose to make a plan, to work hard, to keep a smaller home, to work on a budget........ and what it got us was a pleasant retirement in a paid for home with a paid for car and minimal bills ( utilites). We carry no credit card debt at all.

If you don't like it here, go back to Europe. I hear Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries.... have fun saving there. BTW, leave the US citizenship behind. Nothing worse than a hypocrite who comes here, becomes a citizen and rips the country to shreds.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
That's the whole point... not just a war, BUT a BIG war. Meanwhile, money is wasted everywhere BUT inside this country...

This country seems to intervene everywhere else, BUT on its own soil.

Even from FED, there was a statement that inequality such as in USA could seriously threaten economic future. I do agree.

The way of thinking "me, me, me and only me..." will come back and hit hard. It already has.
I agree, your points are very well taken
Sassy

Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
Teachers are overpaid. There is an over supply of teachers.

They need to make it more difficult to teach and then we'd reduce supply and they be paid more and they'd be better as well.
Teachers are overpaid try being one of the more valuable contributers to society and live in California and say they are overpaid! If anything they are underpaid AND underappreciated, they are way more valuable than all those coked out models and celebrities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies