Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If it were me, I would shut my mouth, so the plane could take off...

It's TRUE that a child under 2 must sit on the lap of an adult. He paid for the seat, okay...that can be dealt with through the airline. ($$$ refund) I would be pissed if one more passenger creates a bunch of BS and made my plane sit on the ground. Just because he got a baby seat agreed for the child, on the previous flight, does not make it right to continue to do so, once the airline points out the FAA rules. He kept saying his baby would not sit still in his lap, over and over. Does that make it right because his child can't sit still and is going to make a living Hell for the parent and the nearby passengers. If I were sitting next to that guy, at some point I would say something. "Put the kid in your lap and then get a refund! Let's get this plane up in the air!" I guess I have low tolerance for all the airplane videos lately and I hope it does not happen while I am a passenger.

No it is not true that a child under 2 must sit on the lap of an adult! The preferable method is strapped in a car seat on their own aircraft seat which is what the parents were trying to do here. Show me where you got that information. You are making stuff up just as the flight attendant did. Do yourself, and parents of young children, a favor for safety and get the facts correct!

FAA flying with children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 02:15 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Another overbooked flight. Airline personal want a seat purchased for a two year old, to sit safely in a car seat, for another passenger. The airline tells the father that FAA regulations prohibit a child to be in a car seat on an airplane! Stating at 4:00 on video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7pM8IyxpTc

OC Family Kicked Off LAX-Bound Delta Flight After Being Told to Give Up Seat Their Child Was Using | KTLA

Here are the FAA recommendations regarding a child flying:
https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/
This is beyond .....wow!

This family should get so much money for being lied to, getting kicked off for no reason and being replaced by who..?

Old 05-04-2017, 02:17 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This is beyond .....wow!

This family should get so much money for being lied to, getting kicked off for no reason and being replaced by who..?
Please read the thread before jumping to such conclusions. This couple tried to use a ticket in someone else's name who did not show up for the flight for their lap child who did not have a ticket of their own. That is not allowed.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Agree that the family was in the wrong to think they had the right to claim a seat for a ticketed passenger who wasn't on the flight.

However, it is quite troubling that an airline employee would make a false claim about FAA regulations regarding infant travel. If they lied, that's a problem, and if they were misinformed, that's still a problem. Their job is to know this stuff.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:28 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Please read the thread before jumping to such conclusions. This couple tried to use a ticket in someone else's name who did not show up for the flight for their lap child who did not have a ticket of their own. That is not allowed.
I listened to the video and the man said he purchased a ticket for the child to sit in...I judged on the words in the video and the flight attended lied.

If the man didn't purchase the seat that's a different story but I heard him say he did.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I listened to the video and the man said he purchased a ticket for the child to sit in...I judged on the words in the video and the flight attended lied.

If the man didn't purchase the seat that's a different story but I heard him say he did.
He purchased tickets for two of his three children. The youngest was a lap child. His oldest child (18) did not make the flight. By standard airline policy, that opened up his seat for a standby passenger to occupy. But the parents wanted to keep that seat and tried using his ticket for their lap child instead, and argued that they should be allowed to do so despite airline policy until they were eventually removed from the plane.

The airline was wrong only in stating to the parent that children under two cannot occupy their own seat. That is not true.

It's important to get both sides of the story before reacting.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
They simply switched the seats of their children so that their two year old could fly safely. One child flew on another flight which would allow the two year old to have a seat so that he could sit safely in his car seat.

The airlines look for any excuse to bump passengers on over-booked flights so that they can double-dip.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
They simply switched the seats of their children so that their two year old could fly safely. One child flew on another flight which would allow the two year old to have a seat so that he could sit safely in his car seat.

The airlines look for any excuse to bump passengers on over-booked flights so that they can double-dip.
That's not how commercial air travel works. Seats are specific to each passenger; you aren't purchasing open space on an airplane. Their 18 year-old son opted out of that flight. That does not enable the other parties on that reservation to simply reallocate the seat in the manner that they attempted to. Once his seat was canceled it was made available to a standby passenger as per standard policy.

Had they notified the airline in advance they could have paid a name change fee to place their other child in that seat. They didn't. You don't get to make that decision once onboard. That seat was no longer theirs.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:17 PM

In this case, Delta was willing to compromise the safety of a two year old, lie to do that, all to sell a seat two times!

Quote:
The employees can be heard telling Schear that both Delta’s guidelines and Federal Aviation Administration rules stipulate that a 2-year-old child must fly while seated on their parent’s laps, but rules posted on each agency’s website appear to contradict that.

On its company website, Delta recommends that children under the age of 2 should fly in individual seats while secured in an approved car seat.

FAA guidelines on flying with children offer similar advice, according to the agency’s website. The agency released a statement on Wednesday saying, in general, that young children should be seated in child safety restraints when aboard airplanes, rather than a parent’s lap.
Orange County family says they were kicked off Delta flight after argument over child's seat - LA Times

This is from Delta's own website:
Quote:
Infant & Child Seating
We want you and your children to have the safest, most comfortable flight possible. For kids under the age of two, we recommend you purchase a seat on the aircraft and use an approved child safety seat.
Flying with Children & Unaccompanied Minors : Delta Air Lines

Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 PM

I'm not sure what it is you are arguing?

Delta is responsible for the employee telling the couple that children under two cannot fly in their own seat. That is not true and the Delta employee was wrong. This has been discussed and agreed upon throughout this thread.

However ...

The parents initially chose to fly with their youngest child as a lap child. Only once their oldest child didn't make the flight did they figure that they could reallocate his seat to their lap child. And they could have, if they had notified Delta prior to the flight and paid a name change fee to have the seat switched to their lap child. But they didn't. They boarded the flight and made a scene when they were told that the seat had been given to a standby passenger.

I don't understand what is in dispute here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies