Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

I used to think that the Alt-Right meant a hip new conservative movement that stood up to political correctness and Social Justice Warrior-ism, but boy was I wrong. A co-worker of mine who I assumed was conservative pretty much revealed to me he was Alt-Right. Thinking that it meant "cool, hip" conservative, I wrote down some of the youtube channels he recommended. OMG, this guy is nuts! The Alt-Right are essentially a collection of watered down Neo-Nazis, and white nationalists who want an ethno-state for white people. They peddle Race/IQ pseudo-science and think that anyone who doesn't agree with them is under the spell of the Jews.

Most aren't even conservative at all, they admit this much in their videos and actually openly deride the conservatives. They talk ill of Christianity as much as Islam and think that the white race didn't need Judeo-Christian values and could've been just as triumphant with their ancient Nordic/Germanic and Greek mythologies.

Why aren't conservatives more openly denouncing this group that's infiltrated the conservative movement? They're essentially a white identiarian traditionalist group that bares no resemblance to actual American conservatism. I tried to at least find some common ground with him by saying that I could see a case for cultural assimilation to preserve western values somewhat but even this was too much for him as he thinks you cannot separate race from culture.

This is the right wing's version of SJWs/Commies/Anarchists and Antifa.

Isn't this a crazy time we are living in? History repeats itself. We are seeing pre-WWII like clashes between Communists (AntiFa) and Nazis (Alt-Right).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
The hate that hate that hate produced.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
You just now noticed this? Really?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Yeah, we've been saying.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:45 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
The guy, Richard Spencer, who coined the term 'Alternate Right...this is him speaking at an Alt-Right conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

This might as well be Goebbels speaking at a Nazi party rally.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You just now noticed this? Really?
Yes, I did. I largely ignored them because I thought that they were mostly just pranksters and that the left's characterization of them was hyperbole. But it's not. A lot of them are white nationalists and are trying to make it look cool and hip. There is some overlap of talking points with conservatives but overall they're a different group entirely.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yes, I did. I largely ignored them because I thought that they were mostly just pranksters and that the left's characterization of them was hyperbole. But it's not. A lot of them are white nationalists and are trying to make it look cool and hip. There is some overlap of talking points with conservatives but overall they're a different group entirely.
Absolutely. I always try to make a distinction. I know--love and highly respect--many conservatives. That alt-right crowd is special, and I don't like to conflate them with decent people with respectable conservative leanings.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The guy, Richard Spencer, who coined the term 'Alternate Right...this is him speaking at an Alt-Right conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

This might as well be Goebbels speaking at a Nazi party rally.
To be fair, he claims the Roman salutes were meant to be an "impassioned reaction" to all the left wing attacks.

But no matter how you slice it, it's essentially fascism, real fascism, reborn. The only difference is that they're not skinheads or backwards hillbillies, they're slick suited with hip haircuts and espouse a lot of racial rhetoric with a lot of false wit and charm.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Absolutely. I always try to make a distinction. I know--love and highly respect--many conservatives. That alt-right crowd is special, and I don't like to conflate them with decent people with respectable conservative leanings.
Well that's good because as a conservative my favorite writers are all non-white; Dinesh D'Souza, Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, Ben Shapiro (Jewish so non-white to the Alt-Right), Ben Stein, and the like. I also dabbled into the paleo-conservative right with Pat Buchanan who has his share of deep flaws and probably sparked the Alt-Rights populism.

What I was surprised most about these guys is how anti-Christian they are. They like it as a matter of it being a part of white culture but beyond that a lot are atheists or outright pagans.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
It was the Left (not all of it, but a coalition of the more-extreme of one-issue groups) who practiced and sharpened the Politics of Resentment over most of the previous eight years. The underlying theme at the Democratic convention last year was, and has long been, that all those outside the Democrats' Big Tent are moneyed exploiters, and that all the have-nots have to band together against the (presumably white, male, and aged) haves (who. supposedly, have an unlimited supply of the means to pay for everything).

But for every burnout drawn to the alt-right, there are several others who genuinely see the continued degeneration of the American political spectrum into a collection of squabbling, over-indulged children who simply refuse to recognize that their objectives, when taken together, are unattainable; and that the same applies to Mr. Trump's wall-building and protectionism. But we also see a frightening possibility in the deterioration of the State of California. Four and a half million of us, myself among them, took the high road and voted for Johnson and Weld, but we shed no tears at the rejection of Ms. Clinton and the Blue Cancer.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-08-2017 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies