Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM

3,219 posts, read 2,439,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ugh; I feel the same way about her; I could not STAND to listen to her.

Truth be told - both have already had their day.

I know people that married their political opposite in real life. It can work - but, boy, was this year's election a real test!

I've dated my political opposite - not sure I could marry my opposite but most people don't pay that much attention to politics as we on this forum do.
Trump aside, if it were the last election and Romney won could you have dated or married someone who voted for Romney?

Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,586,954 times
Been there. Never again.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
That is the problem when people shut out the others opinions, they don't realize they are closer in beliefs than party affiliation would suggest. You are open minded because you can see beyond the party label.
Whether closer or not, standing at 20 paces and firing shots at the other side is certainly no way to achieve any understanding or compromise.

I feel that compromise is the BIGGEST thing missing in today's political situation. There are two armed camps and anybody between is likely to get shot! I imagine moderates are hiding or at least keeping a low profile.

But in any case there are not enough moderates, and with the alt-s so far apart there can be no compromise. With no compromise there will be no forward progress for America and all Americans will suffer because of it.

It takes two sides to make a disagreement, but it also takes two sides willing to discuss their differences in a spirit of seeking a compromise that may work for both sides to achieve forward movement.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,493,691 times
If you can't what does that say about you? Close minded?

I guess it easier for me I voted for Trump and most I know didn't so we don't talk much politics unless I agree with their point on something.

I am not interested in talking politics on a date anyway.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post

Would you date someone from your opposite political party? Why and why not?
I don't see the Democrats and Republicans as opposites.

They're two cheeks from the same a$$.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:01 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,963 times
I'm liberal, but I couldn't date someone who is like "IF YOU VOTED FOR TRUMP WE CAN'T TALK!" or anything stupid like that. Nor the "IF YOU VOTED TRUMP, YOU'RE A RACIST SEXIST PIG!"

That's such a turn-off. It's no wonder the women who are like that are *gasp* still single!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:02 PM

727 posts, read 390,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
Would you date someone from your opposite political party?
You are assuming all Americans are puppets to a political party. Some of us like to think for ourselves.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,824,082 times
Before Trump, absolutely as long as we can have a rational discussion about the issues. Now? I don't think I could.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:40 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
I dated many people who didn't share my political philosophies, interests, or belief system over the years. Their politics weren't a deal breaker for having a fun time together. On the contrary. Every one of them taught me something and expanded my experiences.

I married someone who did share them, however.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
If you can't what does that say about you? Close minded?

I guess it easier for me I voted for Trump and most I know didn't so we don't talk much politics unless I agree with their point on something.

I am not interested in talking politics on a date anyway.
If you are dating somebody casually then I agree there is no reason to bring up politics—or even religion.

But what if you start becoming interested in getting more serious? What if you become more serious and discover your political world views are not compatible?

Yet even that might work, considering Carvillle and Matalin. But that's a special case, and any mixed-politics couple would have to be the type of people who are accepting of other points of view, and also people who enjoy polite debates and don't lose their heads and emotions while they are discussing.

In other words, they'd have to people exactly like I don't see much at this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies