Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,167,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He doesn't sound normal. I am surprised that you called himself "conservative". His views are NOTHING conservative.
Yeah, but he kept emphasizing how he was a "real conservative", so I'm just going by how he defined himself. Last I heard, he's in jail now anyway.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,461,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I voted for President Trump. (You're welcome.) Can't imagine dating a Hillary supporter. They are all so whinny.
I can't see marrying a "deplorable." They make too many excuses and never take personal responsibility.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,509,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
True, but there are certain issues or views that run contrary to certain peoples morals.

If you and your date both disagree with the what the appropriate level of taxation should be in order to run a functional government, I think you'll get along fine. If you and your date have different views on whether or not genocide is a good thing, the relationship will probably fail.
You don't think most people are against genocide?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 AM

11,241 posts, read 8,343,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The simple answer is if you Truly Love each other, political differences can be worked around if both find it worthy of effort, same goes for friendships. Me and my other half do not always agree politically and I have friends that are on both ends of the ideological spectrum, we are Friends, I trust them and they trust me, the basis of friendship. You can disagree but in the end most would find that we are not all that different in what we want out of life or what we want of the Nation, and in my travels it is a common theme across the globe.

Good response

I tend to lean left in my voting. I ABSOLUTELY could (and do) date a conservative. Trump supporters are a bit more problematic for me, as he stands for everything I hate. That said, my GF (we live together, might as well be married) supports him. We respect each other, and I know who she is. I don't agree with her politics, but I also know the person I love, and she's not a hater. The tough part for me is I want so badly for her to "see the light". I know that's wrong of me, and we've had to agree not to discuss politics.

Bottom line, you love the person, not their voting record. She has her reasons to vote the way she does, and it is not up to me to question or judge. That is challenging to me, but she's worth it.

I'm so glad we are together, and I've learned a lot from her. Haven't changed how I vote, but certainly learned a lot.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:19 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,465,538 times
Sure. If we got along well in everything but politics, why not?

Life is more than just politics. A lot more.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM

39,340 posts, read 27,737,656 times
I think it is kind of difficult to date somebody with so many deal breakers.

It is not about what they say, it is about how they say it. For example, if you don't want to date a single father, that is your choice, I know I can't. But don't demonize them.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:03 PM

661 posts, read 524,090 times
A few years ago, I would've been more okay with dating someone who was opposite politically. Now, I just couldn't date and definitely not marry a liberal. I'd rather date or marry a woman who was farthest to the right. I even feel we can have more of a conversation. Where are all the young alt-right women? Lol

Old 05-16-2017, 03:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,188,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
A few years ago, I would've been more okay with dating someone who was opposite politically. Now, I just couldn't date and definitely not marry a liberal. I'd rather date or marry a woman who was farthest to the right. I even feel we can have more of a conversation. Where are all the young alt-right women? Lol
Maybe alt-right women have enough sense to have real lives and don't wear their party affiliation on their sleeves.

I'm going to join a dating service soon. That should be an interesting experience. Maybe I'll find out the answer to this topic. Or not.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,819,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'd like to point out that there's a difference between dating a Republican and dating a Trump supporter.

I can't imagine any good relationship with someone who would vote for a sexist, bigoted, rapacious bully. But once upon a time, the GOP was a respectable party, and there are still a few scattered sane remnants.

Don't you wonder if Matlin and Carville discuss politics over dinner?

Same. I don't care at all about party. In fact though I was a registered voter I didn't care about politics until Trump came in (so I guess in a way it was good because it forced me to pay more attention..it's just sad it had to be done in that way)

If someone was a Trump supporter they by definition don't support me because I'm the type of person Trump does not respect/hates. I really can't get past being a supporter of someone who reminds me of my father except worse so you are basically adjacent to being on my father's side (and that's really a side you don't want to be on)
For me it is hard enough to date or even have a family relationship with someone who voted for Trump because he was the lesser of two evils for them. When I have found out someone I know had voted for him, it solidifies why I don't feel a connection to them. It is very difficult for me to connect with people on a significant enough level anyway so when you're the type of person that would support him..yeah not happening (and if you voted for him to vote against her the relationship will at least not be serious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
This has nothing to do with cons (I assume you mean convicts). This is about someone who has different views politically or religiously with you. You certainly have a right not to date them if you do not wish, much to that other persons fortune I do believe, but if you close yourself off to not even talking with someone with opposing views I think you are doing yourself a disservice in not learning why they have that viewpoint and possibly even changing theirs or maybe your views. You can't learn and grow by staying within your own view in life.
It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the person who is running the showboat now.
I actually do talk to supporters online and sometimes even that is giving too much leverage because their mind is totally closed. If it was open they wouldn't be supporting someone like him.
The only reason I debate is because I like to write and I'm an Aquarius so I don't ignore bullies (or bully sympathizers) but IRL I'm not a fan of conflict as I'm a reserved introvert so if I knew someone supported him I would avoid them even more than I do people in general.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:21 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You don't think most people are against genocide?
I was using a somewhat extreme example, but I think we can find certain groups who wouldn't be against the extermination of certain other groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies