Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,829,843 times

Advertisements

"Libertarian" is the most confusing label. A lot of Republicans who aren't social authoritarians (i.e. don't care about abortion/marriage, support legal marijuana, etc) call themselves "libertarians" yet still support Republicans. I think this is to lessen the stigma commonly placed on conservatives because of the religious right. They aren't really libertarians though because while true libertarianism sounds good in theory, it would never work.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM

18,469 posts, read 7,108,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
"Libertarian" is the most confusing label. A lot of Republicans who aren't social authoritarians (i.e. don't care about abortion/marriage, support legal marijuana, etc) call themselves "libertarians" yet still support Republicans. I think this is to lessen the stigma commonly placed on conservatives because of the religious right. They aren't really libertarians though because while true libertarianism sounds good in theory, it would never work.

It's because Libertarians can't get their **** together and agree on a platform or run a viable candidate.

That and many Conservatives who lean Libertarian on domestic and fiscal issues can't stomach the party's stance on open borders and namby-pamby foreign policy.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,641,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
here's one.

Snide posts like this aren't helping....

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
It doesn't deserve an answer, it is absurd which is the point here.

It would be like me calling progressives child molesters and demanding they defend against it or it is evidence of it being true.

The OP's argument is beyond stupid, it doesn't deserve attention.

Let us be clear, you were the one whining:

Now run along, I am sure some other person needs you to white knight for them.
Actually, I think my argument is quite apt. Especially based on your posting history, as (and I'll try to keep this as polite as possible), you are the biggest social darwinist in this forum. I've read your posts. You think that if someone can't afford healthcare or education or housing, then "tough $#!+"; all in the name of no one paying any taxes.

Am I wrong?.....

Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's because Libertarians can't get their **** together and agree on a platform or run a viable candidate.

That and many Conservatives who lean Libertarian on domestic and fiscal issues can't stomach the party's stance on open borders and namby-pamby foreign policy.
Libertarianism would never work in the real world, because in lew of taxes, there would be tolls and other user fees, that 70% of the population wouldn't be able to afford. The point of government is to make sure that as many people as possible can get the services and protections they need. Where with libertarianism, with the cost of goods only split among users, either the salaries of the people providing those services have to drop to still charge a reasonable price, OR the tolls/fees have to go up to maintain the salaries of the workers providing the services.

Also, I think the vast majority of this countries population does not want to see K-12 education privatized, as 50% of the population wouldn't be able to afford tuition, which would mean half our population would go uneducated.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,655,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
This bears repeating. Unfortunately, the word "conservative" has been hijacked. We need new terminology. I like Constitutional Conservative. Or maybe we should revive Puritan for those that are now considered 'conservatives' by most. That seems to fit well.
I like Constitutional Conservative as well.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,655,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Libertarianism would never work in the real world, because in lew of taxes, there would be tolls and other user fees, that 70% of the population wouldn't be able to afford. The point of government is to make sure that as many people as possible can get the services and protections they need. Where with libertarianism, with the cost of goods only split among users, either the salaries of the people providing those services have to drop to still charge a reasonable price, OR the tolls/fees have to go up to maintain the salaries of the workers providing the services.

Also, I think the vast majority of this countries population does not want to see K-12 education privatized, as 50% of the population wouldn't be able to afford tuition, which would mean half our population would go uneducated.
Keep two things in mind:

1. You can want the Federal government out of education while wanting each state to have an educational program.

2. You can be in favor of vouchers used for both public and private schools.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,634,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Liberals believe people can't manage their own lives and want the government to run them.

Conservatives believe people can run their own lives and don't need the government to be the nanny to all.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to PedroMartinez again."

Old 05-16-2017, 12:26 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
It doesn't deserve an answer, it is absurd which is the point here.

It would be like me calling progressives child molesters and demanding they defend against it or it is evidence of it being true.

The OP's argument is beyond stupid, it doesn't deserve attention.

Let us be clear, you were the one whining:

Now run along, I am sure some other person needs you to white knight for them.
I am the Moral Monopolist.

Your analogy fails because there was no rancor or untruth attached to the OP's description of either party. I've asked several times and you fail to answer: What was incorrect or odious about the OP's description of the conservative party we know today?

Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Yes....we all want roads, schools, law enforcement etc.

But that's not free reign to tax everyone for every entitlement under the sun.

Just because I agree to pay for A, B and C does not obligate me to agree to pay for D, E and F.

That's not how contracts work....not even the "social contract" that the left likes to pretend that everyone automatically signs at birth. .
That's how I feel about defense spending. I think it needs to be cut and drastically. But I don't argue it much because I realize that my taxes are sometimes going to go to something I don't necessarily agree with and I have bigger fish to fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies