Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

Senator Collins is on Morning Joe now, and she said when she was an intern during Watergate, amidst of all the controversy things were getting done. However, this current administration is not showing leadership on what it wants to get done. There hasn't been any policy proposals for the legislature to work on. Just controversy after controversy.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 AM

727 posts, read 390,740 times
Nixon knew the law and knew full what he was doing. Trump is clueless he's doing anything wrong.

Nixon thought he, as president, could break the law and get away with it. Trump thinks he can do anything he wants.

The Republicans eventually convinced Nixon to resign. I don't see anyone accomplishing that with Trump so he may just end up getting indicted.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:50 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Nixon had been in office for years before anyone took the Watergate break-in seriously.

As I recall, there was more concern about the Vietnam war, Mai Lai massacre, Kent State murders... than about whether the Republicans burgled the Democrats for campaign secrets.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
The bipartisan support to form the committee was monumental, good republicans like Howard Baker, Ed Gurney and Lowell Weicker were great along with the democrats. It really made you proud how well our system works. Both sides stepped up to find the truth.

John Dean the White House Counsel turned out to be the key in his disclosures.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Nixon knew the law and knew full what he was doing. Trump is clueless he's doing anything wrong.

Nixon thought he, as president, could break the law and get away with it. Trump thinks he can do anything he wants.
Nixon didn't think he could get away with breaking the law, he believed when the POTUS did something it mystically became legal. Pretty much seems to be Trump's take too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
The Republicans eventually convinced Nixon to resign. I don't see anyone accomplishing that with Trump so he may just end up getting indicted.
Depending on what the investigation reveals, I could see Trump resigning, flipping off the country, and saying something like 'You people don't deserve me'.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:06 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Senator Collins is on Morning Joe now, and she said when she was an intern during Watergate, amidst of all the controversy things were getting done. However, this current administration is not showing leadership on what it wants to get done. There hasn't been any policy proposals for the legislature to work on. Just controversy after controversy.
Yes, controversy has been the production of Democrats ever since Trump won. The left was so sure that Hillary would win and they were wrong.

Democrats have been on a mission to INVALIDATE the votes of millions of people since election day and if they think the constant fear and controversy mongering are winning people over to the left and they're wrong again. The liberal media and Democrats are controversy factories.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
People didn't call Woodward and Bernstein, fake.

BTW, I went to the Watergate Hearings the day John Mitchell testified.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes, controversy has been the production of Democrats ever since Trump won. The left was so sure that Hillary would win and they were wrong.

Democrats have been on a mission to INVALIDATE the votes of millions of people since election day and if they think the constant fear and controversy mongering are winning people over to the left and they're wrong again. The liberal media and Democrats are controversy factories.

We know the 'faithful' believe Trump's continual lies and missteps should be allowed to go without mention but that just ain't gonna happen. Sorry if having a liar called a liar upsets you.

Trump's no one special, he'll pick what he plants like everyone else.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:16 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
For those who were around during Watergate, how does this Russia probe compare?

This is much, much worse.

Nixon was, in essence, a crook. Both chambers of Congress had Democratic majorities, and Congressional Republicans had not yet lost their collective minds. Compared to today, it was much easier for Democrats and Republicans in Congress to work together against a common foe - Nixon.

Trump is, in essence, a traitor. Both chambers of Congress have Republican majorities, and some of the more influential Republicans are just now regaining their senses. There are some very good Republican Senators and Representatives, but in both chambers, the me-first, party-second, country-last GOPers outweigh the good public servants. Fortunately, there is a sufficient number of Republicans in Congress who will ultimately put country ahead of personal ambition, and do the right thing when it comes to Trump.

I never thought I'd seen anything that would be close to Watergate. To see something worse than Watergate -- both in the deeds committed and the very slow reaction of Congress -- is really disheartening.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:19 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nixon had been in office for years before anyone took the Watergate break-in seriously.

As I recall, there was more concern about the Vietnam war, Mai Lai massacre, Kent State murders... than about whether the Republicans burgled the Democrats for campaign secrets.
Now the Republicans have hacked the Democrats for campaign secrets with help from our enemy that sponsored our opponent in the Vietnam War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies