Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Umm, Susan Collins is a Republican.
And just as I thought, she is a RINO, refused to vote for Trump and is on the far Left of the Republican Party. She might as well switch her Party affiliation to Democrat.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
This seems to breaking a lot faster..probably due to Social Media and the Internet in general.

Watergate was a slow, steady rise...in people's awareness--many still had trust in Govt.--that simply does not exist anymore.

Nixon's resigning broke some people's hearts..and their faith forever.

One thing that is the same..is the blaming of the media.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And just as I thought, she is a RINO, refused to vote for Trump and is on the far Left of the Republican Party. She might as well switch her Party affiliation to Democrat.
We'd be happy to have her! Seat switch w/out a campaign...

Old 05-18-2017, 09:19 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Probably not the same. Mainly because there is absence lately zero proof of the lefts theories that Trump is an agent of Russia

Old 05-18-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
As for comoarisons to Trump: pffft! I completely support him sharing info with Russia. The war against Islamists needs to be fought worldwide by all nations. I completely support Trump firing Comey. No one in the administration is entitled to their job. The President has an duty to put in people he chooses.

The liberals (including some RINOs) want to get rid of Trump because they are racist against oranged-skin people. (Hey, if that stupid "racist" argument can be used by Obama supporters, why not us?)
Bravo!

As Commander-in-Chief, he can classify, declassify or share whatever information he deems appropriate in any given situation.

I think the Leftists have forgotten how our Government works. The Congress has the most power. Second in Power is the Executive branch. The Branch with the least power is the Judicial branch. That is also why they are in that order in the Constitution.

The Left believe the "Separate but Equal" or "Co-equal" myth that has been taught probably since sometime in the '60s. But it's a lie, and if you take a Constitution course (and I have) it explains what I have said above, and that the least powerful branch is the Judicial Branch. The Judicial Branch has very little power. Congress makes law. The Judicial branch only interprets and applies the law and this only when a case is brought before it.

It is the Congress that creates the lower courts, and they may add or eliminate courts as they see fit.

Finally, judges may be removed for "bad behavior." They "may hold office during times of 'good behavior,'" the Constitution reads. The Constitution does not use the phrase, "lifetime appointment" at all.

The Courts do not hold power over the President, and it is not their role to be a "check" on the President's power, as so many erroneously believe. The Executive branch is above the Judicial Branch. That's why it is the President who appoints Supreme Court Justices. But the Supreme Court may determine a duly passed law to be "Unconstitutional," but, again, only if a suit is brought. They cannot act on their own.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Courts do not hold power over the President, and it is not their role to be a "check" on the President's power, as so many erroneously believe. The Executive branch is above the Judicial Branch. That's why it is the President who appoints Supreme Court Justices.
Sorry, no, the Branches are equal, not hierarchical. You might want to look up the phrase "checks and balances."

Old 05-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sorry, no, the Branches are equal, not hierarchical. You might want to look up the phrase "checks and balances."
So you deny that each branch has specific and designated powers? Tell me ... Does the Judicial Branch make law? Does the President make law? Can the President change law? Can the court change law?

Where did you get your education from; i.e., where did you learn this.

The two houses of Congress and the President's veto power is the system of "check and balance." But the Congress may overturn a President's veto.

The courts do not act as a "check and balance." The courts have no power to act independently.

Sorry, but you're incorrect.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
We'd be happy to have her! Seat switch w/out a campaign...
I'm sure you would, and she might then quickly be replaced too.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
"For those who were around during Watergate, how does this Russia probe compare? "

Messy

Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nixon had been in office for years before anyone took the Watergate break-in seriously.

As I recall, there was more concern about the Vietnam war, Mai Lai massacre, Kent State murders... than about whether the Republicans burgled the Democrats for campaign secrets.
The Watergate break-in occurred in June of 1972. I can't find a date for when the investigation began, but by 1973 an investigation showed mounting evidence. (Wikipedia)

Vietnam was onging and just about over by 1973. There was no more draft at that point. The My Lai massacre happened in 1968, before Nixon was president. Kent State happened in 1970, pre-Watergate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Both were way overblown. Nixon's only mistake was to record his conversations. I believe recordings became common practice during LBJ's tenure. It's understandable that a President would want to have an audio taped record, but it opens you up to liability when those tapes get out. The tapes never were expected to be made public, but some people believe everything the president does should be made public (except for things they don't think should be made public ). Now people know better not to leave a trace (well, at least Hillary).

Did Nixon order the break-in at Watergate? No. Did he know about it before it haopened? No. Did he find out about it afterward and try to keep it secret? Yes, but who wouldn't? Common human nature to want to cover up something that could be turned into a scandal. Would it have been better for him to come out immediately and say he disapproved of what happened and he was going to fire everyone involved? Yes (well except for those who say the President shouldn't fire anyone ). But his actions in no way rose to the level of impeachment or resignation. I think the mood of the country was so anti-governement due to the Vietnam War and drug-induced hippiism that people found this a convenient cause to rally around. And Nixon was an honorable man for resigning so that the country could move on.

As for comoarisons to Trump: pffft! I completely support him sharing info with Russia. The war against Islamists needs to be fought worldwide by all nations. I completely support Trump firing Comey. No one in the administration is entitled to their job. The President has an duty to put in people he chooses.

The liberals (including some RINOs) want to get rid of Trump because they are racist against oranged-skin people. (Hey, if that stupid "racist" argument can be used by Obama supporters, why not us?)
Oh, come on! 5 people were arrested for the attempted break-in alone! They were trying to get information on the McGovern campaign. Today, with computers, they'd try to hack them instead of physically going to the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I admire your faith. I don't know if Trump broke any laws yet...we shall see

BUT

I agree if Trump did break laws -- he doesn't know that he did because he has no clue to the laws that govern his position, how the government is run, etc.

He truly believed you just walk in and set the rules. That's what his frustration with previous administrations stems from.

He truly believed you don't have to be accountable to the system, to laws.

He truly thought it was going to be another CEO position where he sits at the head of the table and just barks out orders and everyone jumps at his command.

He was that naive.
If Trump is that ignorant, he shouldn't be president. I agree with the rest of your post. He also didn't know that in government, everything is done with the media watching like hawks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies