Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:16 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Am I right to assume that most of the posters here are too old to reproduce so access to birth control means nothing to them?
Birth control is already available at the numerous Health Dept Family Planning Clinics and Dr's offices that already exist, so where's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
The result of closing these facilities is that wealthy women will have access to abortions but poor women cannot. Repeat - the result of closing these facilities is that wealthy women will have access to abortions but poor women cannot. Continue now with it's a life, birth control accessibility, keep his legs closed, blather.
What are you talking about? PP charges women $$$ for abortions. They're not free.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's exactly what Planned Parenthood is about.
PP is about eugenics. You should read some of Margaret Sanger's (PP's founder) published speeches, etc. She was openly racist.

To get you started:

"The Question of race betterment is one of immediate concern, and I am glad to say that the United States Government has already taken certain steps to control the equality of our population through the drastic immigration laws.

There is a quota restriction by which only so many people from each country are allowed to enter our shores each month. It is the latest method adopted by our government to solve the population problem. Most people are convinced that this policy is right, and agree that we should slow down on the number as well as the kind of immigrants coming here.

But while we close our gates to the co-called “undesirables” from other countries, we make no attempt to discourage or cut down the rapid multiplication of the unfit and undesirable at home."

The Public Writings and Speeches of Margaret Sanger - nyu.edu

Old 06-03-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
PP is the only low-cost place to go.
PP charges for abortions. They aren't free.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The federal government contracts with thousands of private organizations like Planned Parenthood. You're saying the federal government should no longer do this?

Does that include women who use Medicaid going to private doctors for health care that they can no longer get through Planned Parenthood? Doctors' private practices are private organizations (for-profit to boot!), and even the local inner city health clinic is a private organization. And I guess that would include hospitals, too, since they're all private organizations.

What a fascinating idea ... And then what?

*raising hand*

I used Planned Parenthood for my annual exams when I was in my 20s - no health insurance and no money, and Planned Parenthood used an income-based sliding scale to determine how much I paid for my exam.

Uh, you do realize you have to use birth control more than once, don't you?

It also ignores the fact that the federal government is trying to discriminate against a single organization by denying payment for the same services provided by other health care organizations, which are not being singled out. The day the federal government favors one organization over another for health care is the day we take one step closer to fascism.

That's what I'm wondering! And then I give up trying to wrap my head around all the illogic.

Ooh, wait a minute -- government grants and contracts?

I thought you said the government shouldn't be giving any money to private organizations?

How hypocritical can you be?

Bwah hahaha, you just go right ahead digging yourself even deeper.

Agreed. It's amazing that some people don't get that.

That would be great, wouldn't it? But the reason government funds these safety net services is because private charity fell short, and so many people fell through the cracks.

As for "private organizations" not receiving federal funds ... well. There goes Head Start, Section 8 housing vouchers (payments go to private landlords and non-profit organizations), charter schools (the darling du jour of the ruling party), mental health care for Armed Forces veterans, English as a Second Language classes for immigrants and refugees, supportive housing for adults with developmental disabilities (funded via Medicaid reimbursements, just like Planned Parenthood), alternative education programs for kids who aren't succeeding in traditional schools ... The list goes on.

Not any doctor accepts Medicaid.

Your argument has even less merit.
Ostupidcare was supposed to cover birth control. PP is not even needed at that point.

Your argument fails based on that.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
If the left wants planned parenthood to keep going. Fund it. Do celebrity telethons. Get the rich donors that gave HRC a billion dollars to cough up some dough. There are ways besides it being taxpayer funded.
I agree, and have never been able to understand why the left refuses to fund PP voluntarily. They want it but don't want to pay for it? That makes no sense, but that concept seems to underlie their entire belief system. They want things but won't voluntarily pay for them.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Ostupidcare was supposed to cover birth control. PP is not even needed at that point.

Your argument fails based on that.
It's not the birth control that costs a lot of money. It's the required visit to the ob-gynecologist to get it. Minimum $150, plus lab fees for the Pap smear before you can have the prescription. Planned Parenthood used to offer those exams and a prescription based on your ability to pay ( sliding scale fees)

Oh well, if they get rid of the family planning clinics, I guess people will just get more abortions out of state or maybe abandon their unwanted baby as we've seen teenage girls do in the past.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Closing Planned Parenthood doesn't stop abortions- it just drives them further underground without any regulations.
PP's abortion facilities already don't have regulations. Remember that sh*tstorm in Texas about requiring PP to abide by the same ambulatory surgery center regulations every other ambulatory surgery center in TX had to meet? The left wouldn't allow it. So... no regulations at PP's abortion facilities.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:13 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
PP's abortion facilities already don't have regulations. Remember that sh*tstorm in Texas about requiring PP to abide by the same ambulatory surgery center regulations every other ambulatory surgery center in TX had to meet? The left wouldn't allow it. So... no regulations at PP's abortion facilities.
Those rules were designed to put the clinics out of business. They are not the same as ambulatory surgical centers because they do not put patients under a full general anesthesia, etc. When the same procedure is done because a fetus no longer has a heartbeat or the woman just has medical problems with the uterus, it's called a D&C and can be performed at a doctor's office basically.

Early abortions, which the vast majority are, are not dramatic from a medical standpoint. It's not like the late term and back-room horror show videos some people want to show you.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Those rules were designed to put the clinics out of business.
Nope. They're the exact same rules every other ambulatory surgery center has to abide by in TX. PP just didn't want to meet the regulations because they care not one whit about women's health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies