Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Texan and this doesn't surprise me.

The "let them eat cake" mentality in this state (and to a large extent in this country) has always nauseated me.

The highway signs should be changed to say "Welcome to Texas: Keep Your Legs Closed!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 07:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Black women accounted to 11 percent of births but 28% of deaths, why wouldn't they be interested in studying this further.
High mortality rates in the back community is nationwide and spans all income brackets, they are not sure why. It's bit perplexing why that would extend into higher incomes brackets. You can look this up on the CDC website.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The source for the data in the original story (abc13) came from a University of Maryland study. The link I posted was an interview with the Texas Maternal Mortality Board or something like that. Not sure where their data came from, but it's an obvious problem.

While they don't know the actual cause yet for the spike, it was interesting that the most deaths occurred in the African-American populations and causes seemed to be cardiac in nature as well as obesity, high blood pressure etc.

It seems that some here want to make it about migrants, yet that would be easy enough to find and it wasn't even mentioned.

Migrant numbers are a part of the issue. But that's *not* the only factor, and I discussed that as well back on page one. The study showed that most maternal mortality occurred after the 42nd day of birth - which is right around the time that Medicaid care ends for women. It's clear that women are not receiving adequate postpartum care. This has become a real issue nationwide. Someone else mentioned the large number of pre-existing conditions affecting many women, like obesity and diabetes. Other studies have shown links to older age among delivering mothers.

The high mortality numbers among African American women was certainly a surprise. It will be very interesting to see updated data on this, and what changes will occur in obstetrics here. For the record, one of my daughters is a labor and delivery nurse here in Austin. This topic is of great interest to me.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:15 AM

25,946 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It's high, no doubt about it.

Texas is also number one in incoming migrants from Mexico, Central, and South America. I'm sure it occurred to you that our statistics would naturally reflect inflated numbers due to this fact.
Yes, many unhealthy come into the country to have their babies in an attempt to anchor themselves and to for sure mooch off of our taxpayers with their little anchors.

Illegal aliens cost Texans $12.1 billion annually. If deported and the border secured, there should be sufficient money to fund better care for the poor citizens in TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So people coming from under/lesser developed countries increase their mortality risks by coming to Texas?
They are unhealthy from the get-go and have baby after baby to bring in the taxpayer dollars and try to anchor themselves to our country. I noticed many of them are still birthing at our expense in their 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Not surprising. Outside of Austin and the suburbs of DFW, Houston, and San Antonio, Texas is a third-world county.
In 2009, there were 1.68 million illegal aliens (estimated) in TX, they bring their living standards with them. Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Illegal Immigration (But Didn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We receive a large number of immigrants who arrive pregnant and already in poor health. They are high risk upon arrival. But that's only part of it.

Medicaid serves low income women during pregnancy but only for 6 weeks afterward. The report found that most women who died post-birth did after the 42 day mark. So it's obvious that women aren't receiving enough postpartum care.
Medicaid pays for the cost of birthing illegal aliens under "emergency care" which makes this scenario very easy to explain. Secure the border and bring down the rate of death. ‘Anchor Baby’ Outrage: How Americans Pay BILLIONS for Illegal Alien Births (Video) | Top Right News

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Third-world people bring third-world problems. Yet you blame the victims of the invasion. This is why people equate the Left with misanthropy.
They bring their problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Who is paying for all of those births? If they are undocumented then I think it's safe to assume they don't have health insurance. Is Medicaid eating the bill? At 60,000 births that would the hospital bills at approx. $576 million just for one year, one state.

According to WebMD the cost of a standard birth is approx. $9,600.00 a more complicated one can cost over $15k.
The taxpayers are paying for the birth under "emergency medical care", I provided a link above. Some states even provide pre-natal care. This is why their numbers are growing, they don't have to worry about the expense like a citizen family. And, then we send a monthly check for the anchor baby and the whole family is entitled to move in Section 8 housing.

An older article and it has only gotten worse: Illegal Immigrant Births - At Your Expense - CBS News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Stop ILLEGALS and I'd bet the numbers improve DRASTICALLY.

Plus, you made a LOT of other claims about Texas, and I would like to see you back up with credible data.

If NOT, your posts go in the trash can.
That is safe bet. I also noted in my "research" that they seem to have children as teens and over 40. Got to get that magic "4" anchor babies to milk the US taxpayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Stop the war on Planned Parenthood and I'd bet the numbers improve DRASTICALLY.
Actually not. I don't think the problem has anything to do with birth control or someone wanting an abortion (abortion stops a beating heart), but of unhealthy 3rd worlders or drug addicts having babies they shouldn't be having. The welfare check grows with the size of the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Not so sure about that. The illegals need their anchor babies.
You bet they do! Why do you think they talk about leaving them behind if deported? The anchor babies checks stop if they leave the country, so leaving them with a relative keeps the checks coming in to be sent to Mexico as part of the $26 billion: Mexicans In The U.S. Are Sending Home More Money Than Ever : Goats and Soda : NPR

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 06-05-2017 at 07:24 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 07:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Now this takes some doing - conservative health care at it's finest:
Actually, it's illegal immigration at it's finest.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
I'm not a conservative but the conservatives are right. As a Nigerian immigrant I have heard of many a story of pregnant Nigerians (take in mind Nigerians are on the middle of the pack for this kind of stuff compared to other immigrant groups), who come to the U.S to have a baby, then go back to Nigeria with a child who could have access to U.S schools/colleges and the U.S way of life in 18 years, and Houston for this reason as well as the high amount of births (Houston grows quickly just from natural births alone), these factors as well as high birth regions like South Texas not having the hospital size and quality of a region with such high birth rates means that the mortality rate is probably high. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar study showed Texas and specifically Houston (which is known for its world class Hospitals) also had a one of the highest rates of births per 1,000 people period.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Not surprising. Outside of Austin and the suburbs of DFW, Houston, and San Antonio, Texas is a third-world county.
Only in the towns overrun with illegals.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

However for women living in socio-economic disadvantaged situations access to such care is difficult if not impossible, as such you see high infant mortality rates along with women dying.

New center takes aim at high-risk pregnancies, maternal mortality - Houston Chronicle

All over Europe places are being swamped with dirt poor migrants/asylum seekers and yet their infant morality/females dying during or after pregnancy rates are still rather low. That is because those places have various socialized medicine/national health schemes that guarantee *ALL* women and children a certain level of healthcare regardless.
Attempting to compare the US to other countries is apples to oranges comparison. First and foremost how those figures are compiled varies widely. In France for example any baby born under X weight is not considered a live birth, in the US if a baby takes a single breath it's considered a live birth regardless of any other circumstance.

One of the other major factors is they go to extraordinary lengths in the US to birth the baby so you have a lot of very sick kids being born. In other nations these high risk pregnancies are often aborted.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:22 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Now this takes some doing - conservative health care at it's finest:
Study: Texas has highest maternal mortality rate in developed world | abc13.com

The thing about Texas is that it is, in theory, one of the wealthiest places on planet earth. They have money flowing from fracking, oil, chemicals and lots of other industries.

They have the money to build a decent society. And yet they are dead last and not willing to do anything about it. They also have a low rank in education and other metrics - especially considering their resources.

This is what happens when the billionaires and oil men run things. It's so obvious that it amazes me that so-called "thinking conservatives" can't see it. It's the opposite of civilization.

They should be ashamed of themselves - but they are too busy working to loosen up more gun laws.

It's not what you have (Texas has money, land and lots of smart people) - but what you DO with what you have. In that metric, Texas health care is a failure.

Folks should think about that and compare the statistics to a state like MA. where Obamacare (RomneyCare) has been in force for 10 years.

Don't believe in the war on women? Well, the experts say "the doubling of mortality rates in a two-year period was hard to explain “in the absence of war, natural disaster, or severe economic upheaval”.

So Texas managed to accomplish the nearly impossible task of killing more women than thought possible in normal times.
Not a feminist rant post at all... nope.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Only in the towns overrun with illegals.
El Paso has a high rate of illegals and is consistently the safest as well as one of the best cities in the U.S every single year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies