Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 AM

63,020 posts, read 29,229,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The right you don't have is to dictate what language anyone else speaks. It's none of your business. If you think that's despicable it's a personal problem. You are the one preaching hatred. As for traffic signs, they are easily interpreted by anyone, regardless of language. You don't even have to be able to read to get a driver's license.

I didn't dictate what language someone should speak out in mainstream I merely expressed my opinion on it. I am entitled to that aren't I, unless you don't think anyone should express an opinion that's different than yours. I never used the word despicable in describing someone who refuses to speak English in public either so why make stuff up? There is nothing hateful about my opinion either. IMO, again one should be able to read and speak English to get a DL in this country and the test should be in English also but we all know how you feel about an opinion that's different than yours.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Well then don't complain that Spanish is "taking over" America. According to your logic, England is losing, and Spanish speakers will make the rules as the "winners"

If Spanish does take over it will be directly due to illegal immigration which is neither lawful or natural and stubborn Hispanics who don't respect the language of this country. I wonder how you'd feel if millions of non-Spanish speakers invaded Mexico and changed their language to theirs instead. I don't know about you but I hate hypocrites.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you are too lazy to learn even one other language, you should feel lucky that someone else will do it for you. You are the one who doesn't want Puerto Rico to be a state because they speak Spanish. Don't you think that if you spoke Spanish too, the whole issue would evaporate? These aren't immigrants we are talking about. They are natural born US citizens, and you want to dictate what language they speak and deny them their rights for doing something that is 100% legal. And you claim you never objected to different cultures or languages. You are a whole hog supporter of Trump's travel ban, but you never said anything about objecting to different religions?

Squirm, worm.

It has nothing to do with laziness but learning a language I would never use. I can use my time more useful than that. We all know that you think Spanish is the language that we all should learn anyway. Do you expect Chinese Americans, black Americans, etc. to learn Spanish also? Speaking Spanish is not the number one reason I don't want Puerto Rico to become a state. It's because they will vote Democrat and will be financial burden to us. I never said that Puerto Ricans can't speak Spanish in Puerto Rico either.

Yes, I am a supporter of travel bans from known terrorists countries and the radical part of a religion that preaches genocide. Shouldn't we all be?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are indeed racist on this forum who do just that.

we all fall prey to arguing absolutism(no one, all, everyone),

to make a preemptive argument, the people you likely define as trolls(as those dont count to you), are still real people. They post on this forum, therefore, you cant say "no one".

I never said overall. I even admitted my view is skewed by my own personal experiences. You however seem to be trying to pretend it doesnt happen at all.

As I said, why worry about the minority when most Americans aren't racists? It's what the left does because it fits their narrative to demonize the right as a whole.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,358,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It has nothing to do with laziness but learning a language I would never use. I can use my time more useful than that. We all know that you think Spanish is the language that we all should learn anyway. Do you expect Chinese Americans, black Americans, etc. to learn Spanish also? Speaking Spanish is not the number one reason I don't want Puerto Rico to become a state. It's because they will vote Democrat and will be financial burden to us. I never said that Puerto Ricans can't speak Spanish in Puerto Rico either.

Yes, I am a supporter of travel bans from known terrorists countries and the radical part of a religion that preaches genocide. Shouldn't we all be?
The new state could become ravaged by race identity politics and elect democrat senators. That is a valid reason to be against statehood. The same reason applies to DC which would surely be 500% democrat. However, middle to upper class people in the island tend to be conservative (like the Cubans).

Languages come and go and should not be an issue. Not long ago Latin was the Lingua Franca of Europe and today it is English. Isaac Newton had to publish his Gravity paper in Latin despite being an Englishman.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 AM

3,864 posts, read 2,236,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I think the territories add some much needed cultural diversity to our nation.
People kill me with this "diversity" talk. Why? For what?

Diversity just for the sake of diversity?

The United States is plenty diverse as it is. We don't need to absorb foreign countries in order to achieve this vague idealized goal of "diversity".

Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post

The United States is plenty diverse as it is. We don't need to absorb foreign countries in order to achieve this vague idealized goal of "diversity".
Puerto Rico is no more "foreign" than Kentucky is to me as a New Yorker.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:47 AM

3,864 posts, read 2,236,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Puerto Rico is no more "foreign" than Kentucky is to me as a New Yorker.
Do you honestly believe that or are you just lying to make a point?

Puerto Rico is very different from the rest of the United States. It's still distinctly Spanish. It's as much a foreign country (culturally) as the Dominican Republic.

But anyway, absorbing Puerto Rico or any other nation for the sake of "diversity" is foolish. There's no reason for that.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Me to! Since when are we in bad need of diversity? We are already the most diverse country on the face of the earth via immigration. How is having a new completely Spanish speaking state, diversity? Spanish speakers already are the largest number of minorities in this country.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:57 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,191 times
Quote:
Do you honestly believe that or are you just lying to make a point?

Puerto Rico is very different from the rest of the United States. It's still distinctly Spanish. It's as much a foreign country (culturally) as the Dominican Republic.

But anyway, absorbing Puerto Rico or any other nation for the sake of "diversity" is foolish. There's no reason for that.
No, Puerto Rico is no different than any heavily Hispanic community like Miami for instance. Your just a racist ignoramus stuck in a 1950s style myopic vision of America.

Also, you completely missed the point I was trying to make about America and differences between states and regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies