Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 11:11 AM

3,873 posts, read 2,249,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
No, Puerto Rico is no different than any heavily Hispanic community like Miami for instance.
Ok, so you are lying to make a point.

I can't argue with that.

Quote:
Your just a racist ignoramus stuck in a 1950s style myopic vision of America.
Calling everybody a "racist" for no reason dilutes the term.

Quote:
Also, you completely missed the point I was trying to make about America and differences between states and regions.
No I did not miss the point. I understand that all states are different, but the fact remains that we have much more in common than any of us do with Puerto Rico.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:22 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,428,704 times
Puerto Rico makes more sense as a state than does Wyoming or Rhode Island. The fact is that we have milllions of American Citizens deprived of representation. We should fix that.

And English capability is wide spread in PR and will become wider if they become a state. Likely in a couple of generations a majority will speak English.

Our niece's husband is 2nd generation Portugese. He speaks the language fluently. But their children will in fact be English speaking with a second language of Spanish. A language spoken fluently by father and mother. And that is likely what will happen in PR. The kids will pick up English and Spanish.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:30 AM

3,873 posts, read 2,249,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The fact is that we have milllions of American Citizens deprived of representation. We should fix that.
What about the proud self-respecting Puerto Ricans that love their country and want independence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5P31d-oAZQ

If PR became a state, wouldn't we be stealing their country, heritage, and robbing them of their identity?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 AM

29,636 posts, read 16,647,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I said, why worry about the minority when most Americans aren't racists? It's what the left does because it fits their narrative to demonize the right as a whole.
You are trying to deflect.

The part of this thread I responded to was you denying their existence. How large a share of the population they are is irrelevant to that.

And to respond to that size argument,people tend to not put up a fuse when racism doesnt involve them, so while those racist may be a small segment, the people who let it slide are larger yet.

Racism, however small can negatively affect your life, whether you believe Democrats wrongly demonize some on the right is a discussion you, I and others can have, but you should be able to have that discussion AND do all in your power to stomp out racism.

Your post make it seem like you are one of those "it doesnt affect me/its so small it doesnt matter" types, and that just isnt true and thats the problem.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,008,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
What about the proud self-respecting Puerto Ricans that love their country and want independence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5P31d-oAZQ

If PR became a state, wouldn't we be stealing their country, heritage, and robbing them of their identity?
Why are you worrying about less than 5% of the population? PRs don't want to independence, period. I don't want independence either, and I don't want to be a state.

Give us back the tax breaks we used to have for manufacturing that would have otherwise been offshored in the past, and let foreign ships dock at our ports. A lot of this problem would be mitigated.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:32 PM

63,284 posts, read 29,378,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are trying to deflect.

The part of this thread I responded to was you denying their existence. How large a share of the population they are is irrelevant to that.

And to respond to that size argument,people tend to not put up a fuse when racism doesnt involve them, so while those racist may be a small segment, the people who let it slide are larger yet.

Racism, however small can negatively affect your life, whether you believe Democrats wrongly demonize some on the right is a discussion you, I and others can have, but you should be able to have that discussion AND do all in your power to stomp out racism.

Your post make it seem like you are one of those "it doesnt affect me/its so small it doesnt matter" types, and that just isnt true and thats the problem.

I never suggested that their aren't racists in this world/country. It's that you seem to be giving them far more credence in the grand scale of things than they actually are and saying that it is mostly conservatives that are racists.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,516,309 times
Quote:

I can't argue with that.

No I did not miss the point. I understand that all states are different, but the fact remains that we have much more in common than any of us do with Puerto Rico.
I'd wager I have more in common with p.r. Than Utah. At least in p.r. I could get a cold beer.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,380,586 times
Quote:

I often wonder why so many people use the term racist so often. In reality to call someone else a racist implies that the so called person that is racist is somehow superior in status. And the person calling the racist card assumes a position of inferiority.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,428,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I often wonder why so many people use the term racist so often. In reality to call someone else a racist implies that the so called person that is racist is somehow superior in status. And the person calling the racist card assumes a position of inferiority.
A taint of racism is present in many of these discussions. The formal charge is "we want to deport all the illegal aliens". But under it there is a "Especially the Brown ones from Mexico". Every once in a while it breaks into the open but mostly it is hidden behind "them" as we discuss some sector known to be populated with Mexicans, legal and illegal.

How often do you hear cries to drive the Irish illegals out of eastern LI. We all know they are there and have been for the last 50 years. Or the middle Europeans in NY or Florida.

But no we complain about the Mexicans in the Southwest who are so deeply integrated there is no way to remove them short of a local war.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,918,732 times
Quote:

Why is that only a problem now that the majority of Puerto Rican's want statehood or to remain Americans? The majority of Puerto Rican's wanted independence up into the 70's-80's, but the US refused. Puerto Rican's identity is American, we've forced that upon them for 100+ years and they now accept they are Americans. Let Puerto Rico vote and decide on their future. If they vote to become a state, we are not stealing their identity. Both major parties promote English language being taught in schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies