Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:48 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

https://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2017...oods-for-free/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:53 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I am sure they will start offering some shipping options with organic foods and such forth..... whole foods already has a delivery service they use. Amazon will probably replace it.
They already do this in my area with Sprout's.

I'm wondering now how/if that arrangement will continue.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 AM

817 posts, read 753,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The Walmart-Amazon wars are heating up. Both want to be your first choice when ordering online. Walmart has dropped it's shipping fees, has a Ship To Store Pick Up Discount (seems to be 1-5% on eligible items) , and by app or PC you can order groceries in advance and get curbside pickup at the store (no going inside and waiting in line). Online grocery ordering is going to boom and Amazon wants to compete. This is a good and strategic move.
I didn't go to Walmart for over a decade, for obvious reasons. But now we moved and one is literally one down the street, and target is miles away. I'll admit that I have been there, and wading through the pajama pants party that it is, I compared a lot of prices to Amazon while I was in there and they are very competitive. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the increase in American made products there. Walmart is still a trashy store, but I dunno...

Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
I didn't go to Walmart for over a decade, for obvious reasons. But now we moved and one is literally one down the street, and target is miles away. I'll admit that I have been there, and wading through the pajama pants party that it is, I compared a lot of prices to Amazon while I was in there and they are very competitive. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the increase in American made products there. Walmart is still a trashy store, but I dunno...
Walmart's busiest department is groceries - supermarkets in their Superstores and freestanding Walmart Neighborhood Markets. 55% of Walmart sales are now in food, and they now account for 25% of total US grocery sales.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:17 AM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Walmart's busiest department is groceries - supermarkets in their Superstores and freestanding Walmart Neighborhood Markets. 55% of Walmart sales are now in food, and they now account for 25% of total US grocery sales.
Yeah, make no mistake AMZN is (as if we didn't already know) gunning for this business. Kroger and the like will be detritus along the roadside when it's all said and done.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:30 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
grocery stocks are taking a hit.

Quote:
Meanwhile, shares of large grocery chains dropped following the news, with traditional chains feared by Wall Street as being in trouble by Jeff Bezos' powerhouse play.

Kroger sank 14.5 percent, Supervalu plummeted 17 percent, Costco fell 7 percent, Sprouts Farmers skidded 12.7 percent, and United Natural Foods dropped more than 15 percent.
Wal-Mart drops 6%, Kroger dives 11% in premarket on Amazon-Whole Foods deal

Old 06-16-2017, 10:36 AM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
grocery stocks are taking a hit.
Yeah, I'm down over 25% over the past two days on Kroger. This is after already buying in at the 52-week low. Guess we'll be taking a carryover loss on this one...

Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
I'm 10 minutes from a Whole Food and never shop there but I'll be closely watching new developments. I'm expecting Amazon to do some technological add-ons in terms of convenience, access, etc.

Somewhat like when they bought WAPO and then made subscribing, logging on, and paying so easy that I surprisingly became a subscriber.

I have Amazon Visa and if they up the rewards for WF purchases, it'll make it worth my while to drop in occasionally.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:49 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Retailers are automating their distribution warehouses. This article is about Canadian chains:

https://www.thestar.com/business/tec...retailers.html

Sobeys supermarkets: The robots, which whiz up and down rows of stacked products piled up to 75 feet high for 20 hours a day, have resulted in reduced employee costs and quicker and more accurate deliveries, Sobeys says. It’s also allowed the Stellarton, N.S.-based grocer to double the amount of items that can be stored.
One robot does the work of four employees
The company has spent between $100 million to $150 million on each of its robotics facilities. Seguin says retailers, especially those in the grocery industry, have been slow to adapt due to the high upfront investment costs.

Hudson’s Bay Company, said it was spending more than $60 million in robotic upgrades to its 725,000-square-foot Toronto distribution centre. Online orders that would’ve taken up to 2 ½ hours to locate and pack manually are being shipped out of the warehouse and onto a truck within 15 minutes.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:03 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Hell NO, wth is going on. I love Whole Foods, Amazon needs to keep it's dirty paws off of it, this is horrible.
I agree. I shop there because they treat their employees very well. Amazon doesn't. I'm going back to shopping at Trader Joe's if they yank away things like health insurance from their part time employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies