Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I am sure many are sick and tired of all these million/billionaires hogging all the money spending it on frivolous things rather than helping poor people. Hypothetically let's say every person that has millions/billions were forced to distribute all their money to the poor and social programs, how would you feel?

I don't want their money, however they are able to pay more taxes then those of us who can't afford higher taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I am. The pensions were formed on the basis of a wish and a hope. No way they were ever sustainable.

The states where the problem is the worst are seeing people fleeing in droves. How do you see that working out for their public employees?

How do you see them faring in the inevitable bankruptcy scenario? No amount of corporate tax cuts are going to fix the problem. And most of this is at the state level and had little or nothing to do with corporate taxes on the federal level.
That's where you're wrong. Federal taxes reduce corporate profit, and therefore the state and local pension funds earn less of a return than projected which will bankrupt the public employee pension systems.

You are correct, however, that corporate tax cuts won't fix the problem, it will just make the public employee pension crash less severe.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
My ilk? What ilk would that be? People who have raised successful children that earn good livings and are happy and fulfilled?

Again, where did you hear "first place"? And the article you posted is an "opinion" piece, notably lacking anything in the way of references of any sort, just some guy's rant. Someone who needs a life.

More importantly, with all the things to decide to post on forums and all the problems the world faces, why bring up making children feel good about participating as some sort of evil?

Why does that stick in your craw? Let it out. We are here for you.
If that is your ilk, then you and I share that ilk. I too have happy, successful children.

Why don't you read the 1st paragraph of the article? EVERY student got an honor student award!

My daughter was valedictorian at her high school. If everyone had been awarded valedictorian status in order to boost their ego, do you really think that would have been a good thing?

Last edited by Raddo; 06-18-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
If that is your ilk, then you are I share that ilk. I too have happy, successful children.

Why don't you read the 1st paragraph of the article? EVERY student got an honor roll trophy!

My daughter was valedictorian at her high school. If everyone had been awarded valedictorian status in order to boost their ego, do you really think that would have been a good thing?
I think kids should learn that hard work and talent lead to reward. It's a good life lesson after first grade.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
we got people at my employment that has the same job and make the same amount of money feel that they are entitled to my paycheck. They really belive that since they are married and has children, they should get paid more than I , that is single. They feel they are entitled to a new $50k truck and I should pay for it since I dont need one. They feel they should work less hours and get more vacation just because of family.

sound a lot like bernie sanders philosphy

so no I dont believe the poorer is entitled to anybody money even the millionaires, let them keep ever penny

Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
If that is your ilk, then you are I share that ilk. I too have happy, successful children.

Why don't you read the 1st paragraph of the article? EVERY student got an honor roll trophy!

I read it. So what? What school? Again, zero details, no references, just some guy's rant trying to fill space and get paid.

In fact it actually talked about the order in which the children on the honor roll were called up, not that EVERY child was on honor roll.

I attended honor roll ceremonies every semester for 12 years and at the schools my children attended,every one of those kid's worked hard and got what they deserved. Recognition.

The issue you originally mis-stated is about very young children being given "participation" awards so they did not feel left out. Doesn't bother me and it should not bother any confident mature human.

To attempt to equate that to the idea that everyone gets first place (or valedictorian) or that it destroys the meaning of a real award is a horrible exaggeration and just sad.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:46 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,016,642 times
Where would it stop? After the millionaires and billionaires have been dealt with, then those of us that have 401Ks or other such investments will get the same treatment.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Where would it stop? After the millionaires and billionaires have been dealt with, then those of us that have 401Ks or other such investments will get the same treatment.
Why do you believe your 401k would be excluded from the first round?

I read it as total assets, and that would include your 401k.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
I read it. So what? What school? Again, zero details, no references, just some guy's rant trying to fill space and get paid.

In fact it actually talked about the order in which the children on the honor roll were called up, not that EVERY child was on honor roll.

I attended honor roll ceremonies every semester for 12 years and at the schools my children attended,every one of those kid's worked hard and got what they deserved. Recognition.

The issue you originally mis-stated is about very young children being given "participation" awards so they did not feel left out. Doesn't bother me and it should not bother any confident mature human.

To attempt to equate that to the idea that everyone gets first place (or valedictorian) or that it destroys the meaning of a real award is a horrible exaggeration and just sad.
If you could read better then maybe we could have already put this to rest. Let me quote:

Quote:
everybody gets the award, and there are no favorites: it’s alphabetical!”
So, yes, EVERY child from that school was an "honor student". Now "honor student" has lost all its meaning!

I brought the issue up originally because careless and improper boosting of children's ego is part of the reason we get people like the OP, who believes that millionaires should be taken down because it isn't fair that she isn't one.

You are the one who then jumped on it, calling me out for complaining about misapplied ego boosts as a reason for some people being like they are.

It is your lack of ability to properly interpret my posts that is sad. At least you agree that valedictorian is a real reward that should be given only to those that deserve it.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,028,155 times
the poorly educated, the lazy, those without drive, should not expect to have much you have exactly what you deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies