Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM

5,318 posts, read 2,128,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I think, at some point in the future, the whole notion of gender equality will be rolled back to what it was around the 19th century and this whole sorry sociocultural exercise will be looked back upon with cringing embarrassment.

That is because, irrespective of whether you agree with it or not, as an ideology, it is unworkable, contradicts scientifically verifiable biological differences, is ideologically self-conflicted and, in the long term, fundamentally incompatible with self-sustaining civilization.
Hmmm...back where women couldn't vote, own things, could be beaten, all that jazz? Sounds peachy. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 03:03 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,745,241 times
Quote:
From that point of view, evidence from peer-reviewed studies show that it has not only failed to achieve that objective, but actually pushed things the other way to become a force for harm. Sociologists refer to it as the Paradox of Declining Female Happiness.
[...]
This implies that these negative effects are not due to increasing expectations among women regarding their career goals or social objectives, as one might imagine, but rather to do with far deeper issues, such as immutable biological differences.
Your response to the video demonstrates a fairly classic problem. The study being cited does not address why women are less happy. The title of the video blames feminism, but until the "why" question is answered, we don't know that feminism, per se, is the reason. We also don't know that this unhappiness has anything to do with "biological difference" let alone "immutable" biological differences. There are many possibilities. Suggesting the feminism and/or immutable biological differences are to blame is simply jumping to conclusions.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:09 PM

1,349 posts, read 666,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The only reason I hesitate to compare the struggle of women to blacks is that, in America, blacks have had much tougher oppression than women. But in this case, exchanging "female" with "black" works.
Well of course!

The post was very adapted to that change of word.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,064,148 times
Quote:
I think, at some point in the future, the whole notion of gender equality will be rolled back to what it was around the 19th century and this whole sorry sociocultural exercise will be looked back upon with cringing embarrassment.

That is because, irrespective of whether you agree with it or not, as an ideology, it is unworkable, contradicts scientifically verifiable biological differences, is ideologically self-conflicted and, in the long term, fundamentally incompatible with self-sustaining civilization.

Except that's not true at all.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:15 PM

1,892 posts, read 1,331,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Do you mind elaborating? I'm actually curious to hear your train of thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Hmmm...back where women couldn't vote, own things, could be beaten, all that jazz? Sounds peachy. Sigh.
I appreciate some may be horrified by this. However, what I say here is not some arbitrary thing pulled out of the air on a whim, but a conclusion I've come to after many years of careful observation and study.

One pivotal moment for me is seeing how Amish women are not the equals of Amish men, yet they are loved, deeply respected and cared for by their husbands and their families in most cases that I've seen. I've yet to see one example of a modern liberated woman who has a similar sense of security. This challenges the presupposition that a woman must feel equal to a man, at an ontological level, in order to feel normal or happy or secure in her to day-to-day life.

Another case in point are the psychological and social consequences that stem from trying to socially engineer gender equality between men and women. At an axiomatic level, we are aware of ethical convictions deep down that men and women are not equal, irrespective of whether we like it or not. That is why people who abide by radical feminist convictions often show bizarre coping behavior. In a sense they are trying to justify their own beliefs to themselves as much as to others.

I believe that body image disorders among young women are one of many harmful ways in which women try to reconcile this conflict between what society tells them to be, and what their moral sense tells them to be.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:16 PM

19,824 posts, read 12,371,362 times
It is a big step forward in feminism that women are empowered enough to shave their heads and stab horses with nails. Well that is neo-feminism. Old time feminism and equal rights is the best, but new radical feminism is looney and irrational. I don't know why they are so angry, they have so much more freedom and opportunity as women than previous generations did.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 PM

I guess you've never heard of the many sexual assaults on women in Amish communities?

Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Another case in point are the psychological and social consequences that stem from trying to socially engineer some kind of equality between men and women. Whether you may like it or not, at an axiomatic level, we know deep down that men and women are not equal.

No, I don't know that.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:22 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,979,351 times
Quote:
I appreciate some may be horrified by this. However, what I say here is not some arbitrary thing pulled out of the air on a whim, but a conclusion I've come to after many years of careful observation and study.

One pivotal moment for me is seeing how Amish women are not the equals of Amish men, but yet they are loved, deeply respected and cared for by their husbands and their families in most cases that I've seen. I've yet to see one example of a modern liberated woman who has a similar sense of security. This challenges the presupposition that a woman must feel equal to a man, at an ontological level, in order to feel normal or happy or secure in her to day-to-day life.

Another case in point are the psychological and social consequences that stem from trying to socially engineer gender equality between men and women. At an axiomatic level, we are aware of ethical convictions deep down that men and women are not equal that holds true irrespective of whether we like it or not. That is why people who abide by radical feminist convictions often show bizarre coping behavior. In a sense they are trying to justify their own beliefs to themselves as much as to others.

I believe that body image disorders among young women are one of many harmful ways in which women try to reconcile this conflict between what society tells them to be, and what their moral sense tells them to be.
Because it is horrifying. Women will not go back to being the property of men. They will not go back to being second-class citizens. And your desire that they do so because you believe the world is better for it is horrifying.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Sounds like someone has just read/started watching The Handmaid's Tale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies