Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,044,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Feminism has made several strides in obtaining equal rights for women. It is clear that women today are able to do much more with their lives than they did in the 50s & 60s: career choice, reproductive rights, highest office attainable, harassment in the workplace/public, etc.

However, recently there has been a more radical faction of feminism that has begun to blame all of society's ills on men. Things like mansplaining, manspreading, and sexist air conditioning have become hot topics for feminist debate. I doubt the women who worked for equal rights in the 50s & 60s would've even been concerned about these things.

For the most part, men and women have equal rights today, and feminism achieved that.

I've had great female managers, a few not so good ones, same as male managers. I respected them ALL

The bolded is something I'm 110% in favor of. No question. It was how I was raised by my Navy SEaL father, and Obstetrician mother-it is how I raised my stepdaughters in my past life, it is how we will raise our beautiful daughter!!

To me that is what Feminism is and SHOULD be. Sadly what is in the second paragraph, is what I'm mostly seeing now. Fart-rape (yes apparently male posterior emissions ARE misogynistic) denigrating men instead of building up women, the list goes on. As for the poster who's wife is a manager who claims she got it on her own merit- cool!! Be proud. But ever stop to think that the selection committee factored into their decision "what if we go with Mr Macho-man who is a tad more qualified instead of Mrs NOLA?- she may sue us or file an EEOC/discrimination complaint!!! We cant afford nor do we need the headache, expense, bad press, so let's hire her and sleep well tonight" not even ONCE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,323 posts, read 15,193,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Good, so there's no problem then.

The last time I discussed my honest views with a feminist, she sounded so upset that she looked like she was about to call the police, an ambulance, and the fire brigade, and the coastguard, altogether at once. I guess you're made of sterner stuff than she was.
It was probably more a look of disbelief. That you would callously and directly tell a woman that she is inferior to you in general conversation. But I personally find it quite interesting how you immediately assume that a woman who disagrees with you must be "upset".

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Seriously? That set up sounds AWESOME. I write from home. Don't have a pool, but have a fab backyard. I think I may need to try working like this, the insolent hussy that I am, sometime.
I love having a pool, but it can be quite a chore keeping it clean and balanced. And expensive. Though, to be fair... it has a massive twirly slide on it, so I can't complain too much. Oh, the things I buy because I have an income of my own. I may get older, but I can't say no to a water slide.

I wonder how our resident "women should be property" poster would feel about how neither of my houses are in my husband's name because they were purchased before we were married. And how we have no intention at the moment to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
You've probably realized by now that you're actually giving evidence for why women in a purely domestic environment are happier than women who pursue a career, or try to balance the two.
If all I had in my life were domestic duties, I would hate every day of my life.

I mean, unless I hired somebody to do all the cleaning and crap while I buried myself in my sewing workshop. That and cooking are the extent of my domestic abilities.

Quote:
Geez, you still aren't answering any real questions in the end. How have YOU concluded, with more proof than a study that can't be proven conclusively (and is too early in the process to really see what's going on) and anecdotes about Amish people, that not only should all women be solely domestic drones, but they also need to live 19th century style without voting rights, freedom from summarily being beaten, allowed to own things, be anything but lesser than men.
At this point it's obvious. He lacks the ability to talk with women without talking down on them, mansplaining, telling them how they feel, etc, etc, etc. He wants to believe that women would be happier being the inferior gender because he cannot view us as anything but.

tl;dr - He can't accept women as equals.

5,316 posts, read 2,125,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I'm not the one you asked but I would guess that the additional responsibilities of being able to support oneself have added an increased burden on the everyday woman's life. In the past, a woman would only have to worry about taking care of children and the house. Her husband would be the one to worry about money, food, medicine, and other things outside the house. Now, those stresses are part of a woman's daily struggle and naturally they are not as happy on average. But that is the price of freedom and knowledge.

Personally, I think women should make their own choice. If they'd rather have a guy take care of them, go for it. If they want to strive for independence, that should also be encouraged. But no one should be forced to do something they don't want to. However, by gaining additional freedoms, women should also gain the responsibilities that come with it, and the societal norms that were born out of outdated ideals should be abolished.
That's really what I think many of us want overall as women; simply to HAVE the choice and ability. It's still new enough that there are problems connected to it...figuring out balance, having to deal with people stuck in the past, etc. It's not to say women should all be homemakers, or all work, or all do anything. Just to be counted as actual people like men and get to have a say in how our life should go.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
That's really what I think many of us want overall as women; simply to HAVE the choice and ability. It's still new enough that there are problems connected to it...figuring out balance, having to deal with people stuck in the past, etc. It's not to say women should all be homemakers, or all work, or all do anything. Just to be counted as actual people like men and get to have a say in how our life should go.

agreed!! it's only fair and right

Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
It was probably more a look of disbelief. That you would callously and directly tell a woman that she is inferior to you in general conversation. But I personally find it quite interesting how you immediately assume that a woman who disagrees with you must be "upset".

I love having a pool, but it can be quite a chore keeping it clean and balanced. And expensive. Though, to be fair... it has a massive twirly slide on it, so I can't complain too much. Oh, the things I buy because I have an income of my own. I may get older, but I can't say no to a water slide.

I wonder how our resident "women should be property" poster would feel about how neither of my houses are in my husband's name because they were purchased before we were married. And how we have no intention at the moment to change that.

If all I had in my life were domestic duties, I would hate every day of my life.

I mean, unless I hired somebody to do all the cleaning and crap while I buried myself in my sewing workshop. That and cooking are the extent of my domestic abilities.

At this point it's obvious. He lacks the ability to talk with women without talking down on them, mansplaining, telling them how they feel, etc, etc, etc. He wants to believe that women would be happier being the inferior gender because he cannot view us as anything but.

tl;dr - He can't accept women as equals.
Yeah, this is getting old. He can just go live with the Amish since they seem cool to him and leave everyone else to be equal people.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,606,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
By who's standards? Yours? Her supervisor? The employees?

In my lifetime, I have never met a great female supervisor. (I am female). They either come off as too hard or "stumble" when it's time to give commands. There has never been a smooth balance for the female supervisors I have known. They also create unnecessary "drama" in the department. Give me a male boss any day! The male supervisors are direct to the point, very experienced and confident.... most often have the respect of the department.

I realize there are those out there who "supremely love" their female supervisors but I have never met one yet that had it together 100%. This is my opinion of course, but please provide examples of great female supervisors in history. I am open to examples....

And don't throw rocks at me because I don't enjoy female supervision!

Yes, many women are jealous of their female supervisors.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is a big step forward in feminism that women are empowered enough to shave their heads and stab horses with nails. Well that is neo-feminism. Old time feminism and equal rights is the best, but new radical feminism is looney and irrational. I don't know why they are so angry, they have so much more freedom and opportunity as women than previous generations did.

great points! Australia is insane with angry, hateful women who despise men. I wanted to post a similar point but was afraid I'd get piled on by the CD Misogynist Hit Squad along with the White Knights In Search Of Female Brownie Points! Shouldn't simple fairness and true equality be enough??. Guess not

Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
great points! Australia is insane with angry, hateful women who despise men. I wanted to post a similar point but was afraid I'd get piled on by the CD Misogynist Hit Squad along with the White Knights In Search Of Female Brownie Points! Shouldn't simple fairness and true equality be enough??. Guess not
There are extremists for any issue; I wander my way through MGTOW forums sometimes (basically one subset of Men's Rights Activists) to marvel at the ideas they hold. It mars and mangles some of their more sensible ideas like the fact that divorce and custody laws need some study and revamping. Judging all men by MGTOWs would be asinine, as many/most men are reasonable people. The same is true for feminism. Don't judge all women wanting to be equal by the fervent extremists that you see.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,981,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Some modern women who are victims of the latest 'feminist movement' like to think that they are empowered and refer to themselves as 'dangerous'. Do you have any idea what they are talking about? I am having a problem figuring this out. If these women are so 'empowered' then why are they so dependent on the system to take care of them?

Do you think maybe the children that they are having, most without steady fathers apparently, will be as dependent as them?

Enlighten me with your feminist wisdom.
I am not a female, but will take a small shot: Feminism empowered Millions of young ladies to understand that they are every bit the equal of us men. Women bring their own unique point of view and often a calming voice to mans voice of rage and underlying violence. Any Man that is in the least bit aggressive and is in a balanced relationship knows of which I speak. As a Solider/Biker/Survivalist I Know how my Love brings her Love of mankind in the best of Christian Values and Practice brings me back to earth at times, she has saved a few from Serious Retribution. Disrespect women all you wish, just do Not do it in front of me, without our sisters we would kill each other off in a week. Grow up Boys, Women are Not our Enemy.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,120,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Pointing to one thing as the reason is simplistic and lazy. Its easy to have tunnel vision and avoid other factors of influence.
Example : Affirmative Action
Women were the largest group to benefit from it early on.
Quote:
The democrat anarchy party leadership constantly remind us white men need not apply. Naturally we listened to them and knew they were telling the truth. That made Trump the only choice possible and it turned out quite well. Despite their loss the message hasn't changed.

What is interesting is that as women and minorities gain power they want to enact policy's against white men that they railed against. They promote racism and segregation. They don't want equality. They want power and control.
Example : Evergreen
Quote:
No doubt they benefited greatly from the feminism of the last 50 years. What other reason could they claim ?
Hello there. I asked, way back on page 3, how you define "feminism." Before all of these^^ posts. Perhaps you didn't see it? Or perhaps you don't care to share your working definition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
How do you define "feminism"? It seems, based on your responses, that your definition is quite different from most of the other posters' definitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies