Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM

34,299 posts, read 15,729,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Feminism really kicked in during WWII as women entered the workforce, then our moms in the 60s-70's fought for equal right for women. I have no idea what you mean about this generation getting all the credit or feminism not getting her the job. Before feminism, she would not have been considered for the position. I fail to see the confusion.
Pointing to one thing as the reason is simplistic and lazy. Its easy to have tunnel vision and avoid other factors of influence.
Example : Affirmative Action
Women were the largest group to benefit from it early on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,397,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Pointing to one thing as the reason is simplistic and lazy. Its easy to have tunnel vision and avoid other factors of influence.
Example : Affirmative Action
Women were the largest group to benefit from it early on.
Affirmative action plays no role in the vast majority of employers. It's largely irrelevant.

The typical private firm is under no obligation to ANY affirmative hiring efforts. The private companies that do it have determined it's good business.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:01 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,815,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wrong. Prior to feminism she would never have been given the opportunity to manage the team. Pre feminism she would be bringing them coffee and taking their calls.

She's a fantastic manager. She didn't get it because she's a woman, she got it because she's the best candidate.
By who's standards? Yours? Her supervisor? The employees?

In my lifetime, I have never met a great female supervisor. (I am female). They either come off as too hard or "stumble" when it's time to give commands. There has never been a smooth balance for the female supervisors I have known. They also create unnecessary "drama" in the department. Give me a male boss any day! The male supervisors are direct to the point, very experienced and confident.... most often have the respect of the department.

I realize there are those out there who "supremely love" their female supervisors but I have never met one yet that had it together 100%. This is my opinion of course, but please provide examples of great female supervisors in history. I am open to examples....

And don't throw rocks at me because I don't enjoy female supervision!

Old 06-19-2017, 01:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,619,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

In my lifetime, I have never met a great female supervisor. (I am female). They either come off as too hard or "stumble" when it's time to give commands. There has never been a smooth balance for the female supervisors I have known. They also create unnecessary "drama" in the department. Give me a male boss any day! The male supervisors are direct to the point, very experienced and confident.... most often have the respect of the department.

I realize there are those out there who "supremely love" their female supervisors but I have never met one yet that had it together 100%. This is my opinion of course, but please provide examples of great female supervisors in history. I am open to examples....

Your experiences are yours alone.

I've had many good female managers - most of whom took me by the hand and dragged me upwards with them.

I'm sorry that you never had a mentor that could offer you the help you needed.

Of course, I will never forget my first real manager as a new employee - a man who hired me to begin with.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Women now have the same rights as men in the US

In some cases they are favored over men
The democrat anarchy party leadership constantly remind us white men need not apply. Naturally we listened to them and knew they were telling the truth. That made Trump the only choice possible and it turned out quite well. Despite their loss the message hasn't changed.

What is interesting is that as women and minorities gain power they want to enact policy's against white men that they railed against. They promote racism and segregation. They don't want equality. They want power and control.
Example : Evergreen

Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM

36,833 posts, read 31,119,382 times
Quote:

Thats kind of the point of the thread, no?
There are no historic female supervisors in the sense your talking about because supervisory positions were not open to women but here is and example of some great female leaders in history.
Jon of arc
Florence nightingale
Cleopatra
Queen Victoria
Catherine II
Rosa Parks
Tomyris
Indira Gandhi
Goldia Mier
Deborah
Huldah

Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Affirmative action plays no role in the vast majority of employers. It's largely irrelevant.

The typical private firm is under no obligation to ANY affirmative hiring efforts. The private companies that do it have determined it's good business.
It played a huge roll in education. Down play that if you want.
Maybe you can prove a large percentage of women with a high school diploma are in upper management.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,745,241 times
Quote:
I won't throw rocks, but I might clobber you with a couple of wet Fun Noodles. I've known a couple of excellent female supervisors, and one who was not so good. (Actually, she was fine towards me, but bad to a fellow employee who was female.) One thing I'd like to point out is that women (like minorities) often find themselves saddled with unfair expectations and are victims of unintentional biases, including confirmation bias. Notice how your mind isn't just noting "bad supervisor" but "bad female supervisor." Perhaps everything you have observed is objectively correct, but maybe not. There could be some biases and self-fulfilling prophesy occurring. There is also implicit cognitive bias (aka "implicit associations") to consider. A lot of this works against women due to our long human history of sexism.

If your supervisor was, indeed, hard to work with, there could be a range of reasons - some of which may be due to her perceived need to overcome various burdens - one of which is this: If she fails, it is not just she, as an individual who fails. She is not just a supervisor, she is a female supervisor, so her failure (consciously or unconsciously) will tend to reflect on women, generally. If you have one male supervisor who is exceptionally bad, you tend not to generalize about the role of their race or gender. But a bad female or black supervisor can easily push your mind to make generalizations - consciously or unconsciously.

Generally speaking, when women, racial minorities, etc., fail or do bad things, their shortcomings stand out more starkly. You almost never hear someone complain, specifically, about their bad male supervisor. Those extra attributes rarely pop out of people's mouths. He's just a bad supervisor. End of story.

These implicit biases are among the types of things feminists work hard to overcome in social habits, policies, etc.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-19-2017 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: race baiting

Old 06-19-2017, 01:37 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,397,994 times
Quote:
By her managers, obviously.

She gets the highest possible performance rating every year, and, at 34, heads 20 employees, almost all older than her, and she gets among the highest performance bonuses in the firm every year.

None of this would have been possible absent feminism. She would be a secretary, getting coffee, and fending off grabby male managers.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats kind of the point of the thread, no?
There are no historic female supervisors in the sense your talking about because supervisory positions were not open to women but here is and example of some great female leaders in history.
Jon of arc
Florence nightingale
Cleopatra
Queen Victoria
Catherine II
Rosa Parks
Tomyris
Indira Gandhi
Goldia Mier
Deborah
Huldah
No doubt they benefited greatly from the feminism of the last 50 years. What other reason could they claim ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies