Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times

Advertisements

For all of those people who think a flat tax is the way to go, let me make an amendment to that!

Flat Cost!

You want folks to feel the same amount of pain for taxes, how about other areas! An upper middle class guy with an income of $250,000 buys a BMW 5 series for $50,000 paying 20% of his income for the car. I have a $25,000 income so I should only pay $5000 for my BMW 5 series to feel the same amount of financial pain. A guy like Trump can finesse that idea to MAGA, as well as cheap health care, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I love how you call yourself a working class hero....while ignoring that the taxes you suggest would be overwhelmingly bad for actual working class americans.

Consumption taxes are a great example of how to shift the tax burden onto them.
It works in Scandinavia/Europe. They have 20-25% VAT taxes. Even the poor pay. Even the retired pay. Everyone pays.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It works in Scandinavia/Europe. They have 20-25% VAT taxes. Even the poor pay. Even the retired pay. Everyone pays.
Oh look at you misinform people as usual.

Yes, they have a VAT. They ALSO still have a tiered income tax system like we do. And pay FAR higher total tax rates then we do.

Its not even remotely comparable. Yeah you can tax the poor heavily...IF you are providing for them heavily.

By comparison, if we taxed like for example Denmark, income above 60K would be taxed at 60%.

And THEN theres the VAT.

We pull in 15% of our GDP in taxes....Scandinavian countries? Denmark is at 26.4%. Norway is 19.7%, and Sweden 22.1%

And they spend FAR less on their military. So ALL of that is being spent for people. So I tell you what, you want to tax everyone equally? Then do so, and give the same benefits to the poor that those countries do. Until then you are being deceptive, and just offering to tax them, without any benefit to them.

So sick of this sort of deceptive nonsense.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
For all of those people who think a flat tax is the way to go, let me make an amendment to that!

Flat Cost!

You want folks to feel the same amount of pain for taxes, how about other areas! An upper middle class guy with an income of $250,000 buys a BMW 5 series for $50,000 paying 20% of his income for the car. I have a $25,000 income so I should only pay $5000 for my BMW 5 series to feel the same amount of financial pain. A guy like Trump can finesse that idea to MAGA, as well as cheap health care, right?
Sure but it's going to be a 5 series from 95/96...

Wore out seats sagging head liner. Screaming ball joints weeping head gasket. Sure I guess...

Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh look at you misinform people as usual.

Yes, they have a VAT. They ALSO still have a tiered income tax system like we do. And pay FAR higher total tax rates then we do.
No, it's YOU who is misinformed. Their tax tiers are much flatter than ours. For example, the Scandinavian middle class is in the top tax bracket. Here in the US, one doesn't hit the top tax bracket until an income of $418,400.

Quote:
How Scandinavian Countries Pay for Their Government Spending

PLUS, they pay 20-25% VAT taxes on top of that.

Would you agree to put the US middle class in the top tax bracket PLUS implement a 20-25% tax like they have to get the social program goodies many want?

Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I agree. Why should people who have kids get breaks over those who chose not to have kids. Why should married couples be treated different than those who are single. Why should people who studied hard when they were in their teens, went to college instead of partying, and then got a good career that pays well be punished over those who think they are entitled?
Do it how I would... parents responsible for their kids tax until 18 there would be rubbers and birth control flying off the shelf.

On a flat tax everyone pays the same money...

You wouldn't see baby factories and dead beat baby daddies that's for sure...
There would be quite the incentive to study and get into a lucrative career...

Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's YOU who is misinformed. Their tax tiers are much flatter than ours. For example, the Scandinavian middle class is in the top tax bracket. Here in the US, one doesn't hit the top tax bracket until an income of $418,400.

How Scandinavian Countries Pay for Their Government Spending

PLUS, they pay 20-25% VAT taxes on top of that.

Would you agree to put the US middle class in the top tax bracket PLUS implement a 20-25% tax like they have to get the social program goodies many want?
I kind of pointed that out. you hit 60% tax rates at 60K in income.

You are attempting to change the argument into something it isnt.

Im done with this for tonight. Feel free to keep misinforming folks. We arent discussing progressive taxation, we're talking aboutthe LEVEL of taxation, and the benefits from it.

you want to tax poorer people more, and then not give them any of the benefit. IE lets make the rich richer. You keep carrying their water.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:37 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
No thanks. Summarize it and make an argument. If, that is, you want to contribute something worthwhile to the thread.
so, you got nothin'. Thanks

My comment was directed to the poster I quoted that is confused about the definition of a flat tax. The link provides that definition

What did your post contribute? Hmmm

Jeebus I get tired of dealing with idiots. (not you of course, the other idiots0

Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Sure but it's going to be a 5 series from 95/96...

Wore out seats sagging head liner. Screaming ball joints weeping head gasket. Sure I guess...
Nah! New only, or an early 2018 model with a six, no cheap-chit 4 banger! I deserve the good stuff too! The Donald can figure it out! Those coal miners are going to get lung transplants for $499! The Donald said so!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
What I don't understand is, if "fair" in the post-war period into the 70's, was considered to be around 65% for upper-middle class, why isn't that "fair" now? That's what people mean when they said "fair share". It was a graduated tax, that's what made it fair. And there was enough money for infrastructure, college grants, medical & science research, safety net coverage, space program, a postal service, Medicare, and so forth. People paid their 50% or 60% (there were no loopholes, just standard deductions, and the cap gains tax was between 15-20%) and still lived comfortable lives. They didn't like paying that much, but they paid it and lived well. Maybe now, instead of having the highest rate be 90%, as it was then, the highest could be 70%, so that most people would be paying 50% or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies