Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I did this once before.

It comes out using the US population in 2011 and the 2011 budget, to 10k dollars per person. Every man, woman, child.
So for a family of 4 -- 40K would be the tax rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 03:19 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So for a family of 4 -- 40K would be the tax rate.
Lol. And bill Gates makes it in a minute.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:37 AM

89,047 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I kind of pointed that out. you hit 60% tax rates at 60K in income.

You are attempting to change the argument into something it isnt.
No, I'm not. I'm the one who said Scandinavia/Europe has regressive tax systems. Not only is their middle class in the top tax bracket, unlike the US, but they've added 20-25% VAT taxes on top of that, too, also unlike the US.

But what do we get? Ungrateful whiners and complainers here in the US who aren't even anywhere close to being in the top tax bracket incessantly complaining that the rich don't pay their "fair share."

Well, I call BS on that lame brainwashed mantra. Put the US middle class in the top tax bracket AND pile a 20-25% VAT tax on top of that, like Scandinavia/Europe, and see if they like that better. It puts tax fairness at a much more equal level. More people would pay the same tax rate.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
A low flat tax combined with a consumption tax. We are already over taxed in this country for the services provided.
Local tax, state tax, Federal tax, sales tax, property tax, we are taxed to death.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What I don't understand is, if "fair" in the post-war period into the 70's, was considered to be around 65% for upper-middle class, why isn't that "fair" now? That's what people mean when they said "fair share". It was a graduated tax, that's what made it fair.
How so?

Is it fair to charge one person $4 for a gallon of milk but charge another person $400 for it? How is that fair? They're both getting the same thing.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
A low flat tax combined with a consumption tax. We are already over taxed in this country for the services provided.
Local tax, state tax, Federal tax, sales tax, property tax, we are taxed to death.
There's actually data on that.
Two liberal think tanks analyzed US local, state, and federal tax rates and came up with the following, to their surprise...

Here's the average effective TOTAL (local, state, and federal) tax rate, by income group.

Quote:
Data sources for chart: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy

Article in which chart appears: No, The Rich Do Not Pay 'All The Taxes' - Business Insider

Data sources for chart: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy...

Federal Tax Rates (includes individual and corporate income tax, payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare, and the estate tax):
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/sites...F/T13-0035.pdf

Local and State Tax Rates (includes state income tax, real estate tax, private property tax, and sales tax):
Executive Summary | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)

This is why we never get anywhere on anything in the US. Too many ill-informed people whining that the rich don't pay their "fair share" when, clearly, the rich are actually WAY overpaying their share. /SMH

Flatten taxes. Implement a consumption tax. Make taxation more fair.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Maybe now, instead of having the highest rate be 90%, as it was then, the highest could be 70%, so that most people would be paying 50% or less.
Suppose I make $100K and I'm taxed at 30%, I'll net $70K. If I make a million taxed at 90% I net $100K, not a whole lot of incentive to go out make a million is there? 70% is only marginally better.

With tax rates that go up to extremely high percentages you destroy the incentive to make it if the government is just going to take it. You are effectively penalizing success.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Maybe now, instead of having the highest rate be 90%, as it was then, the highest could be 70%, so that most people would be paying 50% or less.
As another example suppose you collect 50% on income up to 500K, at $500K I net $250K. If you are collecting 50.1% tax on income over 500K if I make $500,001 I'd net about $249.500

Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There's actually data on that.
Two liberal think tanks analyzed US local, state, and federal tax rates and came up with the following, to their surprise...

Here's the average effective TOTAL (local, state, and federal) tax rate, by income group.

Data sources for chart: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy

Article in which chart appears: No, The Rich Do Not Pay 'All The Taxes' - Business Insider

Data sources for chart: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy...

Federal Tax Rates (includes individual and corporate income tax, payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare, and the estate tax):
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/sites...F/T13-0035.pdf

Local and State Tax Rates (includes state income tax, real estate tax, private property tax, and sales tax):
Executive Summary | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)

This is why we never get anywhere on anything in the US. Too many ill-informed people whining that the rich don't pay their "fair share" when, clearly, the rich are actually WAY overpaying their share. /SMH

Flatten taxes. Implement a consumption tax. Make taxation more fair.
Quick sniff test. According to that the effective tax rate on the one percent is 36%. Ie they take zero deductions.

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. Your data is obvious garbage.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Quick sniff test. According to that the effective tax rate on the one percent is 36%. Ie they take zero deductions.
Read what federal taxes include. It's not just income tax.

Reading is fundamental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies