Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you "turn back the clock" on feminism?
Female - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 19 8.64%
Female - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 89 40.45%
Male - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 46 20.91%
Male - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 66 30.00%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
BentBow, well said!!

I wouldn't turn back the clock, but there are always a few that take it above and beyond the norm.

I believe they have also taken away some nice things that men used to do, either by mothering or by telling a man off for opening the door for her.

I've had several men, tell me, that they've tried to hold the door open for some women and the women yelled at them, but fortunately that didn't stop them.

I believe young boys are no longer taught to help old women with their groceries, to step back and allow the woman to go first, to hold the door open for a woman, etc....

Sad.....
That's your "belief", not reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
BentBow, well said!!

I wouldn't turn back the clock, but there are always a few that take it above and beyond the norm.

I believe they have also taken away some nice things that men used to do, either by mothering or by telling a man off for opening the door for her.

I've had several men, tell me, that they've tried to hold the door open for some women and the women yelled at them, but fortunately that didn't stop them.

I believe young boys are no longer taught to help old women with their groceries, to step back and allow the woman to go first, to hold the door open for a woman, etc....

Sad.....
If men are supposed to behave in a deferential manner towards women in a civilized society, how are women supposed to behave towards men? I'm not sure that whatever it is that young people are lacking in their behavior towards the opposite sex nowadays is a one way street here.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Lost me at " gladiator".

Excepting the "gladiator" thing, there's nothing unique about these attributes which can be applied to men and women, no?
Of coarse I did, you are not a man.
That's the best part of being a real man.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:36 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's your "belief", not reality.
here we go (eye roll)

No actually it isn't just my belief. I was born in the 40's and actually men were more attentive and cordial. I even dated a man who not only opened the car door for me, but, also, held out his hand to help me out of the car.

I've done quit a bit of traveling plus I still chose to work full time....our hallways accomadate two people walking side by side, and I couldn't count the number of times men and women both, don't pull back and allow you to walk by. You have to turn. I've also noticed, that young boys say, 17 and up, don't know how to open doors or hold doors open for those behind them. And since we've become a diverse country, I've also noted how rude some men can be, in our place of work as their cultures don't allow women to a priority.

Older men are much more polite and allow women to go in front of them while they open the door...and again, I'm looking at the whole bigger picture and not stating there are not any men or boys who never do.

Now, if I must, I'll reinforce your point by saying, I'm not talking about every man or boy, but a whole lot more then I was used to seeing when growing up. We didn't have a car for the longest time, and during that time, the men who worked in the grocery store used to help us carry bags home if there were a lot.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
here we go (eye roll)

No actually it isn't just my belief. I was born in the 40's and actually men were more attentive and cordial. I even dated a man who not only opened the car door for me, but, also, held out his hand to help me out of the car.

I've done quit a bit of traveling plus I still chose to work full time....our hallways accomadate two people walking side by side, and I couldn't count the number of times men and women both, don't pull back and allow you to walk by. You have to turn. I've also noticed, that young boys say, 17 and up, don't know how to open doors or hold doors open for those behind them. And since we've become a diverse country, I've also noted how rude some men can be, in our place of work as their cultures don't allow women to a priority.

Older men are much more polite and allow women to go in front of them while they open the door...

Now, if I must, I'll reinforce your point by saying, I'm not talking about every man or boy, but a whole lot more then I was used to seeing when growing up. We didn't have a car for the longest time, and during that time, the men who worked in the grocery store used to help us carry bags home if there were a lot.
Shrug, that's your belief, not reality. I don't have those issues.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Other than the gladiator thing (because WTF with the gladiator thing), you're basically talking about a decent woman or man. None of these qualities are gender-specific.
The modern-day "gladiator" (male or female) fights with his/her knowledge of natural law, and the workings of human interaction within an open society; it's the losers (including, but hardly limited to, the most radical feminists) who are constantly agitating for greater access and power within the state's constitutional monopoly on coercion, in order to get their way at the expense of everyone else, or to bribe the dullards at the bottom of the heap.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-21-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
How are you a "gladiator", BentBow?
Quote:
I'll kick your ass!

Hows that.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shrug, that's your belief, not reality. I don't have those issues.
and shrug right back atcha...well, we have and do...and we've discussed it....here at work....

How bout this, I'll allow you your opinion, if you allow me mine?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hows that.
Being a tough guy on the internet, where it really matters. Got it.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
and shrug right back atcha...well, we have and do...and we've discussed it....here at work....

How bout this, I'll allow you your opinion, if you allow me mine?
Sure, your opinion. Not fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies