Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 05:37 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Well I voted yes. However aside from passing any standard testing that normal recruits need to take, I would think an important factor would be whatever medications, hormones they might need to maintain their transgenderness. But not all military personnel have to be on the combat lines, maybe they have a talent for flying drones, or doing translation work.

Now if they were combat qualified, I'd think that for a start, all the transgenders should be in the same unit, on a trial basis and to make sure that they wouldn't be subject to any harassment or bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
This poll really astounds me. That so many people are comfortable with the mentally-ill being in the military is beyond me. We are entrusting people with life and death decisions to people who cannot even face reality.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:20 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well I voted yes. However aside from passing any standard testing that normal recruits need to take, I would think an important factor would be whatever medications, hormones they might need to maintain their transgenderness. But not all military personnel have to be on the combat lines, maybe they have a talent for flying drones, or doing translation work.

Now if they were combat qualified, I'd think that for a start, all the transgenders should be in the same unit, on a trial basis and to make sure that they wouldn't be subject to any harassment or bullying.
Again, concern with social engineering and addressing irrational feelings. I don't care about any of that when it comes to military defense. I want to discriminate and be intolerant and choose only tough, strong, male, unconfused guys who can carry out the science of killing others efficiently when needed and who are friendly and conversant with their existing genitalia and the gender defined by every chromosome in their body.

And I don't want to compromise the morale and effectiveness of our fighting force by force feeding them cohabitation and coexistence with some dude who wants to be something that he cannot be and will never be.

It's utter insanity.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I lean towards this being incompatible with the structure of the military. And I don't think the structure of the military should concern itself with peoples feelings.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:39 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Looks like the trend towards equality has ceased.

Pentagon officially delays transgender troop enlistment policy | TheHill

Giving credence and special consideration to every perversion, mental illness, and minute minority in this country is a recipe for division. That is especially true of the military that needs cohesion.
Undoing the radical liberal/leftist social engineering of Obama & Co is returning us to some sanity. The military is no place for social engineering, especially based on ones personal behavior. You either conform or find a different vocation.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So people with mental issues should not be allowed to serve? What about those already serving who have mental issues? Should they be kicked out?
Probably. You need mentally heathy people in order to effectively and safely serve. Having mental issues will exacerbate the stressors they can be exposed to, and can put their fellow soldiers or themselves at risk. Tg people have much higher drug, alcohol and suicide rates than non tg people. Being deployed exacerbates that in non tg people, with no mental issues. It will skyrocket those problems in tg people/people with mental issues.
I don't have an issue with someone that has had the gender reassignment surgery completed prior to enlisting. But someone that "comes out" with gender dysphoria, prior to entering (and not had gender reassignment surgery)or after enlisting, should be denied/medically discharged.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:38 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Well Steny Hoyer and other top democrats are unhappy, that is something anyway.

Top Dem: Pentagon decision to delay transgender troop enlistment 'outrageous' | TheHill

Don't see what all this noise is about, Pentagon is only delaying (for six months) implementation of the trans policy. If at that time and or before an announcement is made the trans thing will be scrapped, that is something different.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Again, concern with social engineering and addressing irrational feelings. I don't care about any of that when it comes to military defense. I want to discriminate and be intolerant and choose only tough, strong, male, unconfused guys who can carry out the science of killing others efficiently when needed and who are friendly and conversant with their existing genitalia and the gender defined by every chromosome in their body.

And I don't want to compromise the morale and effectiveness of our fighting force by force feeding them cohabitation and coexistence with some dude who wants to be something that he cannot be and will never be.

It's utter insanity.
You ought see the discussion I am doing in another thread where I'm talking about hand to hand from a military police aspect. Ie, them: instead of shooting him, they should have wrestled him to restrain him. Me: hand to hand isn't nice, it's brutal, and you are going to put him in the hospital.

The world seems to have some interesting notions about the way things work.

A thought that occurred to me last night, about when people say there are plenty of non combat jobs that they can do, is the issue about rotation.

In rotation, those on the front lines eventually come home for some time to slow down, be with the family, and such. In rotation, they are doing the jobs of non combat......and those that were doing those jobs are now on the front lines.

In theory but in the past, it has not always worked that way. In the past, alas, this was an issue with women in the Navy, in the 80's and before. There were so few posts for them at sea that most of them were ashore.....and the men on the ships could not rotate ashore since those jobs were taken. (it was spoken history)

So-o, are we looking at repeating this problem? Are we thinking about bringing (if we were) a lot of people into the military to do the rear echelon jobs, not have them capable for the front lines, so those on the front lines are stuck there?

Old 07-02-2017, 09:32 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
The poster who said this issue should be dealt with on an individual basis? Well, I can kind of agree with that.

I ASSUME at least SOME Transgender people need hormones and if they have had a sex change operation they will need special treatments. On a battlefield it’s difficult enough to get ammo and food to soldiers. Hormones and treatments are simply not happening. Thus these soldiers cannot even serve in combat units or up close to the fighting without suffering. Even extended training sessions can cause them to miss treatments which could have serious ramifications.

If they do not take hormones or have a sex change operation, there’s no reason they cannot serve. To serve openly however is, probably at the expense of the US government who’ll be forced to pay for those treatments and sex change operations and psychological counseling that comes with all of that.

Also, in an ideal world, everybody should just join hands and sing 'Kumbaya', but in reality world, military has an unique warrior culture. They need to mesh with the infantry brotherhood, and most importantly, others need to feel comfortable serving with them. It is going to be challenging, and it perhaps is not worth it. Soldiers (especially combat soldiers) bond with each other through brotherhood, training, experiences, and sometimes, hazing. You don't want to be "different", it does you NO good being different in the military.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:34 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I'm all for live and let live, but.. No..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies