Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times

Advertisements

In real life, adults are allowed to fill out living wills and DNR's. In this case the parents are not willing to allow their child to pass.

I had an experience a few years ago where a family member, who had a DNR and living will, was failing. The family did not recognize the fact that this loved one was dying. After 3 days one of the Dr's sat down and explained that our loved one's body was failing and recommended moving him to the Hospice wing of this hospital.

Very difficult for the family but thankfully the correct decision had been made before hand by the family member.

I feel for the family but at a certain point you need to be able to let gods will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The parents can keep him alive on the machines if they can pay for it themselves. The British government is not willing to continue paying for medical care on an infant who is terminally ill and has zero hope of improvement.
Wait.

Does this mean we can abolish all government in our health care system?

If so, you're learning Scooby.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:30 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,378,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The UK Court is part of the healthcare process when there are disputes. People do not have the freedom to just pick up and leave and go to another provider if there is a disagreement.
If that's what single payer is, I'll do without it.

Europe can keep it.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:41 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
WHO makes the final determination?

You guys want to tiptoe all around the issue, because you know where I am going with this.

The UK Court is part of the healthcare process when there are disputes. People do not have the freedom to just pick up and leave and go to another provider if there is a disagreement.
The US courts are part of the healthcare process in the US when there are disputes between parents and doctors, if doctors believe the parents actions are likely to increase the child's suffering or be incidentally or actually abusive. Heard of Child Protective Services ever?

Yes people can go to other providers in the UK, my Mom wasn't getting satisfaction from Newcastle Freeman Hospital (look it up smart lad), she's now getting treatment in Newcastle RVI. I'm dual national British, I know what I'm talking about because for 20+ years I was treated by the NHS (and BUPA). What are your credentials? You know a guy who knows a guy who heard from someone in Belize that this is the case? You're clearly not British, and you clearly have no clue about the child's condition, and you clearly have no clue about how the UK'S legal system gets involved in cases for treatment of minors, and you don't apparently understand how this happens in your own country of origin.

I know, you have an opinion, it's wrong, but good for you. And much like another thing everyone has it stinks. You know there's plenty enough wrong with the UK'S health system without making stuff up, or regurgitating the thrice removed guy in Belize claims.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,148 times
Quote:
Are they allowed to seek care elsewhere? That's a simple question.
And here's a simple answer, the child is beyond help. The doctors at GOSH have said so, and other top experts in the illness that Charlie suffers from agree.

If you know more about his condition than his doctors, please let GOSH know.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
He's not proposing any cuts to Medicaid.

Medicaid will increase under his and the Republicans' plan, not decrease.

It should be slashed though.

It should only be for the very poor and the elderly in nursing homes.

That's what it was originally for, until the O'care "expansion".

To hear Democrats talk now, millions of people must have been dying for lack of care before that expansion.
The expansion was up to the states to take or not.

And it certainly didn’t open up Medicaid to the wealthy.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
I think your post says more about you than it says about the parents. Pretty cold...
Realistic. I have a great deal of empathy for that child’s needless suffering.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
There is no need to back up the obvious.

Why?

Because it's obvious.
It isn't 'obvious' though is it, its just your incredibly incorrect opinion and if something is 'obvious' you would easily find some kind of 'evidence' to back up your claims - it seems 'obvious' to me that you don't know what you are talking about (your statement above is my proof to the 'bleedin obvious')

Old 07-06-2017, 02:51 AM

27,199 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Great Ormond Street Hospital now have a fequently asked questions page, whilst the decisions of the High Court (Family Division), Court of Appeal, UK Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights are all set out below.

Frequently asked questions about the Charlie Gard court case | Great Ormond Street Hospital

Family Division High Court Decision in the case of Great Ormond Street Hospital -v- Yates and Gard

Court of Appeal decision in the case of Great Ormond Street Hospital -v- Yates and Gard

Permission to appeal hearing in the matter of Charlie Gard - The UK Supreme Court

European Court decisions in the case of Charlie Gard - European Court of Human Rights (Strasbourg)

UK Supreme Court Decision -

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-06-2017 at 03:25 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 03:49 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The parents can keep him alive on the machines if they can pay for it themselves. The British government is not willing to continue paying for medical care on an infant who is terminally ill and has zero hope of improvement.
This case have zero to do with money and everything to do with the human rights of Charlie. The doctors and the Courts are in agreement that keeping Charlie alive in his state is not in his best interests because its essentially keeping him alive just to suffer which is very wrong. The parents cannot keep him alive on machines even if they had all the money in the world because it is ethically wrong - in the US perhaps they might be able to but that says more about the lack of ethics in medicine in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies