Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Here's an idea. Instead of going through the trouble getting a silencer, why not just put a pillow over the gun?

If they get caught with a silencer, the penalty would be worse than murder. Nobody cares about a pillow.
LOL pillows aren't effective!

Old 07-05-2017, 06:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Question. I understand that silencers are not like the movies. However, as much as I can tell the proposed law does not limit the decibel level to which a silencer can achieve.

So for people who support the law would you also support a floor threshold for decibals?

If not the hearing safety thing is a canard.

If you want a suppressor way longer than the barrel, I can make it sound like a daisy bb gun.
Short barrel rifles, work awesome with a 14" noise suppressor, with plugs and washers, oiled gauze filled, or you can use steel wool and no oil and it is a tad louder.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:42 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Can't that's arbitrary.

1. Ammo plays a role.
2. The action of the weapon plays a role.
3. It shouldn't matter how quiet they are. Unless you're for me chopping mufflers off of every car, Harley, and truck, in your area.

A suppressor will not make a weapon easier to conceal.
There are already integrally suppressed weapons out on the market.

This shouldn't be an issue.
The arguement that keeps being put forward by gun advocates is that it just somewhat lessens the decibels and does not make it a sneaky weapon as in movies. But if you do not put a floor in the bill than suppressors could become a big market. This could lead manufacturers thru competition to develop ever more silent silencers till they are like in the movies.

So again. Would gun advocates agree to a floor on decibels

Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
This bill specifically says to give guns to mentally ill, crazy right?!
You DA's let the nutz out of the asylums. Now they walk the streets with full rights. That includes their 1st so they can yell at their invisible friend and their 2nd to defend themselves from their invisible friend.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:45 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
I am glad the NRA is on top of this serious problem of hearing loss in gun owners, there is no more important issue when it comes to guns

Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You DA's let the nutz out of the asylums. Now they walk the streets with full rights. That includes their 1st so they can yell at their invisible friend and their 2nd to defend themselves from their invisible friend.
Da's? Reagan did that when he shut down mental institutions.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The arguement that keeps being put forward by gun advocates is that it just somewhat lessens the decibels and does not make it a sneaky weapon as in movies. But if you do not put a floor in the bill than suppressors could become a big market. This could lead manufacturers thru competition to develop ever more silent silencers till they are like in the movies.

Nope. Because to make anything so silent would not be concealable. BentBow gave an example of length being 14 inches.

If I built a suppressor 14 inches of length and put it on my M1A National match the gun would be taller than me and weigh a ton. Even with elaborate CNC machined baffles out of aluminum.

I would have to play with the gas system to get it to cycle. So no this isn't an issue

Old 07-05-2017, 06:49 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Here's an idea. Instead of going through the trouble getting a silencer, why not just put a pillow over the gun?

If they get caught with a silencer, the penalty would be worse than murder. Nobody cares about a pillow.
Good idea they can do that on the firing range and we are done.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:50 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:

I suppose it's possible, but not very practical.

The way a suppressor works is by trapping much of the explosive gasses.

The more gasses that are prevented from exiting the suppressor, the more end up quickly contaminating the barrel and after a few shots, the action of the weapon as well.

In essence, the better a suppressor works, the faster a gun will malfunction.....and the harder and dirtier it will be to clean.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Another instance I have an FN pistol with a threaded barrel. For that to be movie silent I'd need a much heavier grain projectile rending it inaccurate at further distances and would not be able to carry concealed.
Even the integrally suppressed pistol my favorite indoor range rents goes BANG not as loud as a normal pistol but FAR from whisper silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies