Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. Because to make anything so silent would not be concealable. BentBow gave an example of length being 14 inches.

If I built a suppressor 14 inches of length and put it on my M1A National match the gun would be taller than me and weigh a ton. Even with elaborate CNC machined baffles out of aluminum.

I would have to play with the gas system to get it to cycle. So no this isn't an issue
What you are arguing is current state of technology on a product that essentially had a very limited market. What is the harm in a decibel floor? If as you think it would be unachievable so what.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:53 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I suppose it's possible, but not very practical.

The way a suppressor works is by trapping much of the explosive gasses.

The more gasses are prevented from exiting the suppressor, the more end up quickly contaminating the barrel and after a few shots, the action of the weapon as well.

In essence, the better a suppressor works, the faster a gun will malfunction.....and the harder and dirtier it will be to clean.
This is absolutely true.

To develop an invincible bolt carrier for an AR manufacturers will shove suppressors wet bath and dry alike on the end of a short barrelled AR and boy are they filthy after a few rounds...

Better carry chlorinated brake cleaner... CLP isn't touching it.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Good idea they can do that on the firing range and we are done.
If we do that at the firing range, it's a felony worse than murder.

I was referring to the criminals.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
What you are arguing is current state of technology on a product that essentially had a very limited market. What is the harm in a decibel floor? If as you think it would be unachievable so what.
By the time we achieve that, phased plasma rifle in the 40 watts range, completely silent, would be the choice.

To be honest, if one is shooting subsonic ammunition, it can be silenced almost completely. You will only hear the trigger and action.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
*sighs* it's very difficult to keep patience with mechanically inept people who don't understand how these devices work...

1. A suppressor body needs as much volume as possible to retain the gasses. If not long and skinny short and fat hindering the sights. Look at a muffler on a pickup truck with a V8. About the size of a half keg of beer! Or skinnier in diameter but 4 feet in legth.

It's a muffler for a gun... you would want one whisper silent for the gun would not be
1. Accurate
2. Easily concealed
3. Range of effectiveness reduced

You should be praising this...

Old 07-05-2017, 07:01 PM

And if there's any doubts over velocity being reduced... I suggest you get a chronograph and shoot your gun of choice through said chronograph... compare the results suppressed and un-suppressed

The more effective a suppressor between heavier grain bullet and reduced charge, and larger suppressor baffle system, be it in length or diameter, will result in a reduced effectiveness and reduced range and reduced accuracy.

Don't believe me? Ask some sharpshooter why they do not have a muzzle brake but a straight bull barrel with a crown at the muzzle....

And conservatives don't know anything about science...

Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Can't that's arbitrary.

1. Ammo plays a role.
2. The action of the weapon plays a role.
3. It shouldn't matter how quiet they are. Unless you're for me chopping mufflers off of every car, Harley, and truck, in your area.

A suppressor will not make a weapon easier to conceal.
There are already integrally suppressed weapons out on the market.

This shouldn't be an issue.
And criminals don't care about this law anyway.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
And criminals don't care about this law anyway.
Criminals don't. It would be good if they did though. It would take them getting undressed to pull a suppressed Glock from their waistband

Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Safe to say this is debunked? A non issue? All in favor say aye (everyone)

Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If we do that at the firing range, it's a felony worse than murder.

I was referring to the criminals.
That would be a good test case, bring a pillow to the range. How about earplugs and headphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies