Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:28 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,457,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
Just curious, how many Black Americans have considered leaving America? If you were to leave, which nation would you immigrate to? I ask, because my friend and I were discussing becoming expats in other nations. She is interested in relocating to Canada or France, while I'm interested in Aruba or St Kitts.

Where would you relocate to, if you had the opportunity to leave America?

As an aside, each year, many people all over the world relocate out of their native born nations, but oddly, Black Americans rarely leave America. It is especially odd that highly educated black Americans who work in tech and business rarely become expats. There are however some who do.

I've followed the journey of several Black Americans who have relocated out of America and they seem much happier. I believe more Black Americans who have the ability, should consider this option.

I think it's rather sad to spend so much of one's existence fighting white American racism in particular, because you don't have the opportunity to just be you and focus on what's really important in life (i.e. family, establishing good friendships, becoming more spiritual, living a healthy lifestyle, volunteering, etc).
You're in for a rude awakening. But, I do think it's good for everyone if they have the opportunity to spend some time in another country or two, or three.

For me I would love to live in Japan, just because it would be a wonderful experience and not because it would be better than America. Most people I know who've lived abroad end up realizing what a great country America is but cherish the experience.

Here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.566b8bd737da
This might help in your decision. It depends who you are in what country in regards to how much discrimination goes on. It will be different depending on that. Please don't confuse curiosity with racism, a common mistake of American expats in foreign countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It's a shame what harm the left's identity politics strategy has done to race relations in this country. Maybe you are better off leaving.
Actually, sentiments like yours are actually part of the problem.

And as an Asian American who did go out to live in Asia, and decided to return back to America, the USA is my home, I have committed to it, warts and all. I am dedicated to fighting misguided and ignorant nonsense coming from the likes of you and making it a better place for all.

I suspect many African Americans may feel the same.

Last edited by silverkris; 08-12-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:05 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,118,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, sentiments like yours are actually part of the problem.

And as an Asian American who did go out to live in Asia, and decided to return back to America, the USA is my home, I have committed to it, warts and all. I am dedicated to fighting misguided and ignorant nonsense coming from the likes of you and making it a better place for all.

I suspect many African Americans may feel the same.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:42 AM

665 posts, read 614,304 times
I have thought about it. The countries I would move to would be based on employment, cultural opportunities and retirement.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:01 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,805,357 times
I see this thread as a not so subtile way to say blacks should leave the US.

Couching in terms of wouldn't blacks be happier if they went to a country with less racism still doesn't change the message.

I didn't file a protest about this thread and leave that for people who are in agreement with me.

Variations of speech contained in this thread include:

Aren't woman happier in the kitchen?

Shouldn't Jews move to Israel?

Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 AM

983 posts, read 739,322 times
Kind of Ironic black americans rarely if ever relocate back to Africa. They sure could use the help.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,186,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Kind of Ironic black americans rarely if ever relocate back to Africa. They sure could use the help.
The above makes no sense.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
So? What is your point?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:00 AM

665 posts, read 614,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
Just curious, how many Black Americans have considered leaving America? If you were to leave, which nation would you immigrate to? I ask, because my friend and I were discussing becoming expats in other nations. She is interested in relocating to Canada or France, while I'm interested in Aruba or St Kitts.

Where would you relocate to, if you had the opportunity to leave America?

As an aside, each year, many people all over the world relocate out of their native born nations, but oddly, Black Americans rarely leave America. It is especially odd that highly educated black Americans who work in tech and business rarely become expats. There are however some who do.

I've followed the journey of several Black Americans who have relocated out of America and they seem much happier. I believe more Black Americans who have the ability, should consider this option.

I think it's rather sad to spend so much of one's existence fighting white American racism in particular, because you don't have the opportunity to just be you and focus on what's really important in life (i.e. family, establishing good friendships, becoming more spiritual, living a healthy lifestyle, volunteering, etc).
I believe this to do one needs the appropriate educational level attainment and/or knowledge of other languages. Alot of countries you can't migrate to if you don't have a bachelor's degree or trade skill because you won't have enough points on their migration calculator such as Australia, NZ and Canada for english speaking countries. Even for english teaching positions abroad you need at least a bachelors degree. IMO the other places AA could travel to are difficult if you can't speak the native language because you are not in a good position to provide for yourself.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,252,268 times
A working expat (black or otherwise) in countries where Americans and Westerners are welcome, still has to work with Americans and Westerners who bring the same social dynamics of their home country, even if the locals have a neutral opinion of black Americans. To truly "leave" America as an expat, you would have to seriously immerse in a different culture and find a work setting that isn't multi-national. The latter is especially difficult.

At the same time, there tends to be less employment competition because Americans usually don't seek to work/live outside the country, and you sometimes need special skills or immigration requirements (no criminal or debt record, current passport/visa, foreign language, etc) to be eligible for overseas employment. My opinion based on my experience living overseas from 2000-2015 (8 years in the military, 7 years working for an international contracting company).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies