Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:47 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That is pretty much it. I remember clearly before Amazon became what it was; stores had limited selections, often did not have the sizes in stock, had to jump from store to store looking for things, encountered stupid customers who bothered people, crowds, traffic, standing in line, the whole "we can order it for you" line, etc.

When I discovered Amazon and it got popular, I constantly was searching online just so I can avoid all the negative BS that came with shopping in stores. Now, most of things I buy is online, hell, I even bought my car online, only going to the dealer to sign the paperwork and pick up the car.

Next is groceries, I think of this as I dread going to the grocery store this evening with the crowds who are all there also, may postpone until tomorrow though more inconvenient for me.

I remember what it was before Amazon too and while I do love Amazon it was never that extreme for me. In things like phone cases and the more unique self help books Amazon excels in what stores used to have which is why I love them. However when it comes to video games for example, Amazon is really just selling what brick and mortar stores used to sell. Before Amazon came along stores used to have older video games. Now you have to buy them on Amazon and pay extra for shipping.
I suppose when we have affordable drones there will be less advantages of frequenting a brick and mortar stores but right now I don't like the idea where stores are going. I like having that choice between both because sometimes I want to shop on Amazon but sometimes I'd rather see what the store has to offer.
Also even when we do have drones that could have our orders in the same day, I'm not sure that's still a good idea because if enough stores close that could make us more lazy as a society than they already are.
The only thing that would be detrimental about shopping for me is being on my feet (sometimes my social energy can only last so long but spending all that time shopping online instead might hurt my eyes so there ya go). After a while my heels start hurting but that's going to happen no matter where I walk and walking should be something I should do anyway. It's not like I'm spending several hours on them if I'm shopping. I can deal with the lines in most of them except for Walmart. Walmart would be fixable also. They just need more cashiers. I was going to say about the flourescent lights they use in stores but sometimes I wonder if being at home so much has made me sensitive to it because it wasn't a problem before.
I also worry about drones in a way because things might be damaged in the process. Think about the Iphone. They've improved the technology of the phone but at the same time there can easily be glitches so if the drones are made like the Iphones meaning on an assembly line there's going to be far too many kinks to work out. Technology is great and it's nice to advance but there is such a thing as too much advancement.

Last edited by Nickchick; 07-16-2017 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 PM

34,014 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
You are looking at here and now. Probably happy you could get your iPad or video game a few bucks less.
I'm talking about future implications.Did you ever consider what happens when Amazon, Walmart, Apple and a few others remain the only game in town? Do you think that will favor the customer? Did you ever consider how restricted we become when Walmart purchase manager decides what Americans will buy or wear next year? But wait, that is not limited to America. These corporations are expanding to China, India and Europe.
If you think that is capitalism, your very wrong.
We will always have many options. At its height, Wal Mart had far less market share than early 20th century retail giants. It maxed at about 10%.

We won't have massive malls. That's fine. Many brick and mortar failures will, however, sustain themselves, this time, profitably, online.

The retail McJobs will be gone. The choices will not be gone. Amazon is primarily a marketplace for others-not simply selling stuff it owns or produces via private branding.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:40 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
I won't purchase certain things from Amazon.. Too many fakes are listed. Such as flea Meds for dogs or cats. Ever read the reviews .? Dead pets . Most likely copies of the real meds. Also knock offs of perfume. Have to go to a reliable store for the real thing. They have multiple companies that are listed with products that they can copy and you wind up with something that can kill your pet.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:58 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nice pivot to blame Amazon.

It is the consumers killing the local stores, not Amazon.

Amazon didn't force anybody in anyway to buy from them.
This.

It's easy to blame Amazon because they have such a large presence but the fact is that even retailers like Macy's that are closing stores report that online sales remain strong.
People like the convenience of online shopping.

That isn't exclusive to Amazon.

And hey, merchandise delivery is sort of part of the American DNA.
Sears, Montgomery Ward, the Wells Fargo Wagon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LHlJSBkg0

Old 07-16-2017, 04:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I won't purchase certain things from Amazon.. Too many fakes are listed. Such as flea Meds for dogs or cats. Ever read the reviews .? Dead pets . Most likely copies of the real meds. Also knock offs of perfume. Have to go to a reliable store for the real thing. They have multiple companies that are listed with products that they can copy and you wind up with something that can kill your pet.
No matter you buy online, big box store, or guy on street corner, it's buyer beware. Maybe that's the answer to brick and mortar marketing, product validity and quality? Good point though!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
There is a reason I hardly ever order online. I need my stuff in my hands IMMEDIATELY. That is the benefit of a brick and mortar store. I can go there, pick up what I need, and then I have it in my hands. I don't want to wait for my stuff to be delivered.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,183 times
I like to shop online and have Amazon Prime. I probably spend more than I would if I had to go to the store because - Free 2 Day Shipping!! We also buy online and pick up free in the store at Cabela's, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and I shop at our local Macy's or ship home for free. You do have to watch the prices at Amazon because it might be cheaper elsewhere. Still use the local Mom & Pop grocery store chains though. I rarely go to a mall anymore so I won't miss them if they disappear.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a reason I hardly ever order online. I need my stuff in my hands IMMEDIATELY. That is the benefit of a brick and mortar store. I can go there, pick up what I need, and then I have it in my hands. I don't want to wait for my stuff to be delivered.
But Sunday night I realize that I want x.....but I have to work Monday and the kid has soccer, Tuesday work, and the other kid has t-ball -- dang -- maybe Wednesday but I need groceries.....ugh...won't get to the department store until Thursday.

Amazon -- it's here Tuesday when i get home.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
UPS and Fed ex are fantastic stocks, 95% of the UPS volume is non-amazon stuff .

I dont want some regular joe in his car slapping on amazon sticker on his beat up old car and delivering to my office or my house with business stuff. With fed ex and UPS they are uniformed people with proper id and good customer service and tracking. Look at alot of uber drivers today, just bottom of the barrel

Alot of these companies like amazon and airbnb are getting away with murder tax wise, it probably wont last. They put a tax on my familys restaurants and BandB customers and on hotel guests to pay for a damn sports stadium that places like airbnb dont pay. These companies that claim to be "disrupters" arent paying the same in taxes
If we switch to Fair Tax, all problems would be gone.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:42 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
No matter you buy online, big box store, or guy on street corner, it's buyer beware. Maybe that's the answer to brick and mortar marketing, product validity and quality? Good point though!
Big box store has usually one reputable supplier. On Amazon multiple suppliers and don't really know if they have the real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies