Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:10 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times

Advertisements

Accomplished?..............His pick (not Hillary's ) got confirmed to the United States Supreme Court.

One done............many more to come in the next 7 1/2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
The right priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Accomplished?..............His pick (not Hillary's ) got confirmed to the United States Supreme Court.

One done............many more to come in the next 7 1/2 years.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not this conservative. I care a great deal about our blue-collared workers. Even though I'm retired and wasn't one I have a long line of family members that were and still are. Adapt or die? That's just plain cruel and heartless!
Maybe you're not as conservative as you think you are? And actually have more in common with "the other side" than you'd like to admit?

I completely agree, we should care about our unemployed and forgotten. Promising them jobs that are never coming back to the US (or that likely don't even exist because of automation) is a cruel thing to do to them, though. And only serves as a disservice to them and their cities. We should not be trying to bring back the past. We should be trying to prepare them for the future.

It's better to work to re-invent their regions and cities. Work to re-educate (when possible) or find them employment in other sectors where their qualifications might fit.

My father oversaw the re-purposing of an autoglass manufacturing facility in Toledo, Ohio (my hometown) to a solar panel manufacturing facility. Many people employed that were previously let go when the glass plant closed. And they're getting trained on a new and emerging area! Winning all around - we need more of this kind of thinking and initiatives.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Maybe you're not as conservative as you think you are? And actually have more in common with "the other side" than you'd like to admit?

I completely agree, we should care about our unemployed and forgotten. Promising them jobs that are never coming back to the US (or that likely don't even exist because of automation) is a cruel thing to do to them, though. And only serves as a disservice to them and their cities. We should not be trying to bring back the past. We should be trying to prepare them for the future.

It's better to work to re-invent their regions and cities. Work to re-educate (when possible) or find them employment in other sectors where their qualifications might fit.

My father oversaw the re-purposing of an autoglass manufacturing facility in Toledo, Ohio (my hometown) to a solar panel manufacturing facility. Many people employed that were previously let go when the glass plant closed. And they're getting trained on a new and emerging area! Winning all around - we need more of this kind of thinking and initiatives.

Naw, the other side doesn't care about the American worker otherwise they wouldn't be pushing for an amnesty for millions of illegal aliens to remain here and retain American jobs.

We can bring back blue-collared jobs if the right policies are implemented in regards to outsourcing, illegal aliens are deported, their employers fined heavily and our border secured. Automation still requires some man power. We will always have a blue-collared workforce inspite of that. Not everyone is cut out to be a white-collared desk jockey.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Naw, the other side doesn't care about the American worker otherwise they wouldn't be pushing for an amnesty for millions of illegal aliens to remain here and retain American jobs.

We can bring back blue-collared jobs if the right policies are implemented in regards to outsourcing, illegal aliens are deported, their employers fined heavily and our border secured. Automation still requires some man power. We will always have a blue-collared workforce inspite of that. Not everyone is cut out to be a white-collared desk jockey.
I think you'll find plenty of people "on the other side" open to controlling immigration. I don't think it's realistic to "throw everyone here illegally out" - it definitely requires nuance and each case should be handled individually to some degree. But it should be addressed.

As well, we need to make it nearly impossible for companies to employ these people. Cut off the jobs being given to those people, and watch the illegal immigration problem mostly disappear.

Illegal immigration has almost nothing to do with why most jobs have left places like the rust belt, though, which has more to do with America being out-competed by the rest of the world and because of some bad trade policies that have incentivized companies to send their workers elsewhere. So it's kind of irrelevant to that discussion.

I don't disagree with you in that policies can help us get there. Especially incentives for re-purposing/re-inventing our former-Industrial centers of the country. There is so much infrastructure, manpower, and brainpower just sitting there unused. SO (!!) much potential there.

We'll have blue-collar workers certainly for a long time - but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of the workforce will be made useless once automation and AI become sophisticated enough. I think this is like at least a generation away from happening, though...

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 07-18-2017 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
He should have closed it. Nice pivot attempt
Don't be angry.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 PM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:

Stop focusing on just assembly line jobs, there are many , many white (grey ?) collar manufacturing jobs. Those can be brought back.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
I think you'll find plenty of people "on the other side" open to controlling immigration. I don't think it's realistic to "throw everyone here illegally out" - it definitely requires nuance and each case should be handled individually to some degree. But it should be addressed.

As well, we need to make it nearly impossible for companies to employ these people. Cut off the jobs being given to those people, and watch the illegal immigration problem mostly disappear.

Illegal immigration has almost nothing to do with why most jobs have left places like the rust belt, though, which has more to do with America being out-competed by the rest of the world and because of some bad trade policies that have incentivized companies to send their workers elsewhere. So it's kind of irrelevant to that discussion.

I don't disagree with you in that policies can help us get there. Especially incentives for re-purposing/re-inventing our former-Industrial centers of the country. There is so much infrastructure, manpower, and brainpower just sitting there unused. SO (!!) much potential there.

We'll have blue-collar workers certainly for a long time - but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of the workforce will be made useless once automation and AI become sophisticated enough. I think this is like at least a generation away from happening, though...

See that's what I'm talking about. The bleeding heart side wants to take deportations case by case and allow some or many of them to stay. I oppose that. They should all be deported either voluntarily or involuntarily. Controlling immigration? Are we talking about legal immigration now? I
also think that legal immigration should be controlled.

Jobs aren't the only thing that brings illegal aliens here. Birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits do also. Unless we remove all of the incentives they will continue to try and get here, thus the wall.

What does it matter where illegals seek out jobs? The fact is that they in cahoots with their greedy employers have taken jobs from Americans in many areas of this country. I live in Calif. and we are flooded with them and Californians lost their construction, landscaping, restaurant and hotel jobs, etc. to them. It's true of many other parts of the country also. Manpower is still needed with automation. Some blue-collared jobs can't be automated.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Stop focusing on just assembly line jobs, there are many , many white (grey ?) collar manufacturing jobs. Those can be brought back.
Very, very debatable.

I'm all for us trying, though!

Old 07-19-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
See that's what I'm talking about. The bleeding heart side wants to take deportations case by case and allow some or many of them to stay. I oppose that. They should all be deported either voluntarily or involuntarily. Controlling immigration? Are we talking about legal immigration now? I
also think that legal immigration should be controlled.

Jobs aren't the only thing that brings illegal aliens here. Birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits do also. Unless we remove all of the incentives they will continue to try and get here, thus the wall.

What does it matter where illegals seek out jobs? The fact is that they in cahoots with their greedy employers have taken jobs from Americans in many areas of this country. I live in Calif. and we are flooded with them and Californians lost their construction, landscaping, restaurant and hotel jobs, etc. to them. It's true of many other parts of the country also. Manpower is still needed with automation. Some blue-collared jobs can't be automated.
How did this become about immigration? And why do you ignore my other points??? Wasn't the original discussion about caring about our unemployed???

You're being incredibly unrealistic if you think all illegal immigrants can "just all be deported". It'll never be implemented the way you think it will be. Nuance is the reasonable path forward.

Controlling immigration means just that: controlling immigration. It's not a complicated phrase. I imagine you understand what it means. But to elaborate: Yes, it means that we get a better handle on illegal immigration. It also means that we continue to allow legal immigration.

The wall is an unnecessary and insanely-expensive boondoggle, especially when you realize that most people here illegally actually entered legally (often by plane). A wall does literally nothing here. Our money would be much better spent in other ways.

You're fooling yourself if you think taking away the jobs offered to them won't mostly fix the illegal immigration problem. It's not the only solution, but it would be an enormous step. I have to believe you are in favor of this, yes??? If not, why not? Would seem an odd stance considering your other positions.

If these employers stopped giving them jobs, then the biggest incentive of all (work in America) would disappear. This is what the vast majority of illegal immigrants are here for. I also live in CA - I'm aware of the issues.

As mentioned above, illegal immigration has nothing to do with the massive loss of manufacturing jobs in much of this country. Remember, this is the actual topic we were discussing a few replies back (before you went on a tangent about illegal immigration).

Automation and AI are enormous threats. And they will eventual render human manual labor mostly useless eventually. We have a while until that happens, but it will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies