Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
But this is a thread about child support for a child a man did not create. When you say "keep it zipped if you're not ready to pay for a child" in that context it looks like your saying a man should keep it zipped if he doesn't want to pay for another man's child.
Actually, she was saying that if he'd never had sex with this woman, he would not have thought he was the father and would never have agreed to child support.

Which is true.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
And every single divorced father I know religiously pays their child support fees but have to struggle to get the "visitation" they are supposedly allowed to have.

We've all got our anecdotes, and they often contradict each other.

Maybe in a split 50/50 custody situation these fathers you know of might feel more invested in their children's' futures?

"You'll never see your children again...now send me my money!" might not be the best incentive.
My ex has never paid a dime in child support except for the first 2 months we were separated before he got a lawyer who convinced him that I should pay him (I don't pay him, he only has the kids every other weekend).

He was really bummed out to find out that I wasn't going to give him every cent he needed to spend weekends with the kids. Which is hilarious because, while he's not a high earner, he lives completely free of any sort of rent, mortgage, or utility bills.

I have never denied him the right to see the kids, though. It's not their fault he's a slackass.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
"I do not disagree. I mentioned men specifically because there's a man in this story that doesn't want to pay child support for a child that isn't his."

Yes I've seen the arguments for both sides but without the bolded you are not giving an accurate summary of the situation. Start with your sentence but with the bolded included and then give your reason why he should or shouldn't have to pay it after that.
I don't think men should have to pay child support for kids that aren't theirs, but if she thought the child was his and he agreed to pay child support, whose fault is it?

I'm big on personal responsibility and this guy missed the mark.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Ahh yes my ex use to tell all our mutual friends that he was "up to date" on his child support payments as well. I use to post his arrears account monthly on social media. Our friends were shocked when it reached the level of money that one could purchase a brand new car. The proof was right there.
And my friends' exes all claimed they gave access to the children whenever the fathers wanted, but it was never the case. Funny how that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't think men should have to pay child support for kids that aren't theirs, but if she thought the child was his and he agreed to pay child support, whose fault is it?

And that sums this issue up. He should have questioned paternity on day one. Not years later.

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Men? Wear a condom if you're not married to your sexual partner. Seriously.
And no matter how tired you are after the romp, YOU get up and YOU flush that party hat down the toilet!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
This particular gentleman should not have agreed to pay child support for x amount of year, then decide to question paternity. He had already established responsibility in the courts eyes.
I don't see any evidence that he agreed to pay child support.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

If she told him the child was his, it's absolutely her fault and not his.
Not to mention that any contract entered into under false pretenses is automatically null and void.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:29 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
It is now possible for a man who has doubts to find out for sure whether he's a child's father. Something should exist in law to allow such a deceived man to continue a relationship with the child while not having any financial responsibility for a kid that isn't his. I think the bold does not contradict the idea of "best interest of a child." I think the law should give a deceived man some options.

I would also support some kind of penalty for a woman who does this terrible thing. It seems like malicious fraud to me.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
And that sums this issue up. He should have questioned paternity on day one. Not years later.
Did they ever live together? He said he first saw his daughter when she was 16. There apparently is no return of service for the subpoena the court said they served. The only evidence they have that he failed to contest three $31 support payments, and I'm not sure if he knew what the deductions were for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies