Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So, health care for everyone sets you off.

Let's see, the constitution tasks the feds to "Provide for the common welfare..."

And the GOP dominated SC rules the ACA constitutional.

Yeah, that's a biggie.

If that meant government provided healthcare then why didn't the founders establish a national healthcare system?

They didn't, because that isn't what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 12:38 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't know where the geniuses live, but I can guarantee you they don't live in Oklahoma.
how can you guarantee that not a single person with an IQ of 140+ lives in Oklahoma?

Old 07-28-2017, 12:42 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,822,733 times
No. Bullying is not OK. Period.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
He's supposed to rise above his critics. He's in the most criticized, ridiculed position on the planet. Obama was treated FAR worse than Trump, and he never stooped to this level.

So no, it's not fair game, it's unbecoming of his position.
Never say that. They will tell you how Obama was treated like a god. I see that's already happened too. Trump supporters are so predictable.

I've seen people in the entertainment business (which is something Trump should know all about since he's been famous for years) be treated just as bad and they never ran for political office. Sure they had plenty of admirers but that's because they deserved them and they had a lot of haters too. These are people that sometimes come from nothing too so Trump should consider himself lucky.

Trump doesn't understand the concept of constructive criticism which is why many of us have treated him with disdain because if he's not going to listen anyway why be kind about it? People have valid concerns also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I have no issue with what she said. None at all. She did say half, it's up to the individual to determine which half they are.
I mean did she lie?
When it comes to statements like that if you are offended you are exactly the type of person she's talking about and so you know it's true of yourself. There are exceptions to that rule of course but generally the supporters who are offended are the supporters that are the problem.

Statements like that make me sad that she didn't win instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
[/b]

This is the real problem. Trump scrapes by because the majority of republicans have made up their minds to ignore all his bad behavior so long as he advances a conservative republican agenda. This agenda includes: Tax cuts for the wealthy and for business; repeal of the ACA; appointment of ultra-conservative supreme court justices; and immigration restrictions.

It doesn't matter if he lies through his teeth. It doesn't matter if he destroys long term alliances with friendly nations. It doesn't matter if he goes from scandal to scandal. It doesn't matter if he humiliates a good man like Jeff Sessions. It doesn't matter if much of his behavior is crude and disgusting. It doesn't matter if he can't even say what he wants in a health care bill from Congress. It doesn't matter if he uses a Boy Scout Jamboree for naked partisan purposes. I don't think it would matter to most conservatives if he were guilty of crimes.

Other Presidents are held to a completely different standard, but exceptions continue to be made for this disgusting man. By doing this, we reduce the presidency to a new low almost weekly.

I have a feeling that years from now historians will look back on this period with disbelief. It will be seen as a time when Americans took leave of their senses. It will be seen as a time when people turned their back on principle for sheer expediency.

I would encourage conservatives and republicans to give this some thought. This presidency is not going to end well. Do you really want to be associated with it?

I can't think of one good thing he's ever done. The only thing I can think of that I would agree with when it comes to him is his idea of apprenticeships but he appears to be doing nothing about that.

So we get a president that is terrible as a person and has terrible policies. We're just losing all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
The public has been bullied, insulted and bent over by politicians for so many years and Trump has turned the tables on them and guess what!? They don't like being called out on their BS.
I've never been bullied or insulted by political figures. I have however had a very difficult life so I've been screwed over plenty by regular people..many of which tend to be the type of people that would support Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Conducting yourself like a bully is an excellent idea if you bully the right people, and President Trump bullies the right people.
I find it more than "ok", he's the first President I've ever admired.
There's standing up for yourself and then there's bullying. The former is okay. The latter does not listen to valid criticism.
However sure let's play your way. If I treat someone IRL as cruelly as Trump does to his critics, what do you think would happen to me? I'd be kicked out of the program so he only gets away with it because he is a filthy rich president.
Trump would never be hired like this in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Even the Boy Scouts of America had to offer an apology to the parents because of Trump's horrible, nasty, insulting speech to them. Name calling, insulting a previous president, not setting a good example for boys. The man doesn't have the boundaries that normal people have.
I'm not normal in any sense of the word and I wouldn't act like that to innocent people. He extends far beyond not being normal.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:44 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
If that meant government provided healthcare then why didn't the founders establish a national healthcare system?
Because they lived in the era when medical treatment consisted of leeches and blood-letting.

Quote:
They didn't, because that isn't what it means.
They wrote a brilliant document flexible enough to be applicable more than 2 centuries in the future. They fully understood that the human condition in 1789 wouldn't be static going forward.

Your interpretation of what it means is at odds with the GOP dominated supreme court's interpretation.

And their opinion rules in this situation.

Of course, you're completely free to hold on to yours.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:49 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
That bullying is his ego acting up. Large egos dont like it when everyone is not agreeing, sucking up, and kissing his azz.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:56 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
IF you REALLY cared about this country, then you would have never voted for Hillary Clinton. The choice was CLEAR, Trump was the only one running who would shake up Washingon and the political MSM elite.

Sorry biased mod.

I didn't vote for her I wanted to see Bernie take office. The left and the Right have had your time and in all reality it's got worse. You believe that you voted for the lesser of two evils I find that rather sad evil is still evil.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:44 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
OK, I get it.

You listen to nutball RW radio and think it's "news" instead of slick partisan propaganda.
It's your silly notion of "common welfare."
Ah, yes...

The inevitable comparison to Nazis, Commies, or whatever bogie man keeps you up at night.

Godwin's Law

I don't listen to anything--especially the "news," other than in passing on the radio. The only boogie men who keep me up at night are those who try to tell me what is good for me and what is bad for me, what I will and will not do, and what I am supposed to think and not think. I'll research myself, I'll decide what's best for me for myself, I'll think for myself, and I'll decide what (and whom) I will and will not support and what I will and will not do and what I will and will not pay. It's not for some millionaire jackasses in Washington to decide what the serfs will do in this country. There never were supposed to be any serfs. That is until your do-gooding ilk reintroduced the same tyranny that has been plaguing our species since we crawled out of that protein-infested sludgepit all those years ago. I would assume that Person A decided what was best for Person B as soon as there was a human population of more than one. (which of course was the first real cosmic mistake)

Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Because they lived in the era when medical treatment consisted of leeches and blood-letting.
They lived in an era, just as with all technology dreampt up by man, wherein they worked with what they had at the time. Men used to beat each other's heads in with rocks rather than using nuclear warheads, F-16s, tanks, and assault rifles too. And they used to walk, rather than destroying the planet with combustion engines. They used to live in tee-pees rather than McMansions. But as with any arrogant creature, we all tend to canonize our era of history as such a wonderful Shanrgi-La. Five hundred years from now (if we still exist) folks will be looking back on us with contempt just as we (at least many of us) look back on our forefathers with contempt. Bottom line is that you cannot blame those who lived before us for not being as technologically advanced as we are (or think we are), and you cannot judge the past through the lens of the present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies